“Courtesy Van Rocks! Nice room, quiet but not far from the action.”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Westin Pasadena during a professional conference in March. Event attendees were scattered about between several hotels near the Pasadena Convention Center. I chose the Westin based on reviews that I found here on Tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed.

Of the four options provided to the conference goer, the Westin Pasadena was far and away the nicest. The staff is attentive and helpful.

I was particularly impressed with the caliber of the conierge and courtesy van staff. The van is clean and looks brand new. The night of my arrival it was raining. I asked how far to the restaurant area (because I was hungary for a steak)? Andrew, the driver aske me if I would like an Argentinean steak and I said of course! He knew the manager, called, got me a table, dropped me off at the front door and picked me up when I had finished my meal.

The rooms are clean and spaceous and the hotel has a pleasant openess about it. The photo you see of the hotel on TripAdvisor is of the view of their "Plaza de Fuentes". Also on the property is McCormick & Schmick's as well as the California Pizza Kitchen. It's a short walk to the shopping center or if you like, the courtesy van will drive you...

I would definately go back the the Westin Pasadena.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena on your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We reserved a king bed, deluxe bath(with bathtub) room. When we arrived, about 5pm, they gave us a handicapped room with sit down shower and two double beds. When we saw the room type we immediately called the desk and they THEN told us they had no room type available like we had booked earlier in the day! We called back in a few minutes and tried again. No luck. Our romantic getaway night was going to spend in double beds!
We were stranded, as it was a busy day in Pasadena and there was no hope that we could find another hotel, and we sure were not going to turn around and drive 3 hours back home.
So, we assumed they would make a fair adjustment to our bill for this.
Guess again.
They gave us the runaround, three different managers we needed to talk to, the last two took their sweet time (2 days after we had left) to call me back...oops, too big a decision for them, either....we needed to talk to an even higher manager who would call....three days later, never did....never will.
We have disputed the charge with VISA.

As to the hotel, it's good, not great. You can see that they are struggling(the huge Conference center part of it seems like a ghost town).
The repairs in the bathroom, caulking, looked like it was done by a blind
5 year old....just schmeared on by hand or something! When I asked for a refrig...oops, all out, we will bring you an ice chest. 2 hours later, they did, of course, no ice in it, and I had to go find the ice room and fill it.

The Valet parking was good and those people were very nice and friendly. The overall room was OK. Noisy walls though!
If you are looking for good service, don't expect to have your expectations met. Might as well be a Motel 6 in that regard....

Room Tip: Some rooms on lower level had doors that open up to an outer patio, good for fresh air, not so good...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zebraspot

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience when you stayed with us. That is certainly not how I wish for our guest to be treated while staying with us. I trust that you know that we can do better than this and will give us another opportunity. Thanks, Tim.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Horrible! How this hotel got a 4 star rating I'm not sure....maybe people in that area are used to poor service and dirty rooms and this might seem like a step up from the other hotels? I'm not sure how it EVER passed for a 4 star hotel. I would rate it a 2 star at best. When we walked in, there was a mess of construction. Parking wasn't available unless you used the valet service, and the hotel clerk never looked up from the counter. We had to greet HIM, and walk him through his job. The room looked okay upon entrance, but then we see there are lumps in the bed, there's only one washrag and two towels for a reservation for 3 people. The remote control didn't work, and the floor hadn't been vacuumed in days. When we left our room the next morning the maid in the hall asked which room we were in. We erroneously thought she was asking so she could get our room done quickly. Actually, she must have wanted to make sure she hit up our room first to see what was there. My suitcase had been messed with!!!! We always pile up our towels and make our beds, but we weren't able to make these up because they were so poorly made and lumpy when we got there, so we though we'd let her make up the room. We went on our way leaving our usual tip of $5.00 just to change out towels. When we came back, AGAIN, the bed was lumpy with the cover just barely pulled up over the sheets and two towels. As we left the hotel for good (wasn't quick enough for me) that SAME maid almost hit our car on the way out of the parking lot. She must have been late for work....HORRIBLE stay. Would NEVER stay at a Westin again based on this hotel. ICK! Don't Do It!!!! You will REGRET IT!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Daniel S
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

I am sorry that your experience at our hotel was "horrible". When first reading your remarks, I tried very hard not to be insulted as your experience does not coincide with any of our other guest's remarks. I realize that it was a bit uncomfortable during our recent project to refresh our reception area, but "horrible" is a bit strong. I would have welcomed the opportunity to turn your stay around while you ere here, but this was the first that I learned of your experience.

My sincerest apologies. Really. I only hope that you will chose to stay with Westin again when you travel. Our core brand value is to ensure that you are welcomed during your stay and that you are refreshed and renewed when you leave us.

My best regards, Tim.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great experience all around .
Check in: fast and very friendly- Raj was delightful! Everyone friendly with the kids!
Bell help: awesome both of my stays, helpful and knowledgable
Parking: reasonable self parking $8
Rooms: fantastic large room with free frig.
Bathrooms: very nice, could use more hooks to hang stuff or more shelves
In room coffee: delicious!
Bathrobe in room: cozyyyy !
Restaurant: only a bar open with food and expensive in the evening;(
Could get a restaurant open at night
All in all great place! Book it!
Also has great walking around the hotel.
Pool: nice

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay(s) with us and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena when you are back in the area. Be well, Tim.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We paid about £70 a night through Priceline (If I'd paid the rack rate the review may not be so favourable!). Good chain hotel experience, clean, well located, good service with good facilities (gym, pool, $9 parking). Food in the bar decent enough, normal 4 star stuff at normal 4 star prices. Internet access very overpriced. If you have a car I highly recommend Pasadena over dowtown LA. We found it to be a lovely neighbourhood with lots of places to eat and drink - it felt safe too.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the States. Pasadena is a great place to visit and our hotel is conveniently located to enjoy a the experience. It is a very safe environment and I hope that you had the opportunity to walk around Old Pasadena. Your remarks are well received.

I trust that you would have had an equally good experience no matter how you booked your reservation, but I am glad that we had the opportunity to be your home away from home while in the area.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

You get what you pay for. The Westin is more expensive than both the Hilton and Sheraton, but having stayed in all three, I find the extra cost to be worth the value in amenities, service, and most importantly, sleep.

The lobbies of the Sheraton and Hilton are perfectly reasonable. The rooms are also reasonable. But the rooms in the Sheraton and Hilton have cheap HVAC systems. The Hilton's blasted on me in the bed all night, and the Sheraton's was really loud. Both resulted in unrestful nights. The Westin has central air that is quiet and worked perfectly.

The pool and workout room are incomparably nicer at the Westin, looking out over the mountains, having shaded cabanas. The lobby bar is warm, with the walls lined with books, and the bar and restaurant have better and actually more affordable food.

Room Tip: Ask to face the back. The front faces a large avenue, so open windows are pretty noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I would encourage all travelers to read your review. :)

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Pasadena.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I just returned from my stay at the Westin and I have nothing bad to say about it. I spent 3 nights. I slept great in the giant/comfy king sized bed, the staff was amazingly helpful and friendly, and the food was superb. I traveled by myself to see a show in LA. The staff went above and beyond to make sure I had the correct directions and even gave me a sharpie in case I met the artist! I will definitely be staying at the Westin Pasadena again!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank SarahSprontos
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. They validate that we delivered on the promise that our brand represents. Please let us know when your travels once again bring you to Pasadena.