“NOT a respite from the heat in Los Angeles”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I'm staying at the Westin Pasadena to try to get a little relief from the window air conditioner in the apartment I was staying in - it was doing valiant work, but only getting the temperature down to 73-74. I booked a stay at the Westin Pasadena and thought that I would enjoy a respite from the boiling temperatures - and walked into a hot room. The wall a/c unit pegged it at 76, but it felt hotter than that to me.

No problem - I turned down the a/c to 68 and prepared to enjoy the air. Two and a half hours later, the temperature had gotten down to 72. Went out to dinner, hoping that by the time we got back the temperature would have fallen down to at least 71 or so.

Got back and discovered it was back up to 75 degrees! I called the front desk and they informed me that the room a/c defaults to 74 when there is no activity in the room detected on the motion sensor. I asked the engineer to come by the room anyway, certain that they was SOMETHING they could do to get the a/c working again. He said that due to the "ambient heat of the building" that overnight the a/c would likely get down to 71/72, but no lower.

Really disappointed - this is not the kind of service or quality I would expect at a four star property. I'm astonished they would be using rooms in which the a/c is so unreliable. Very disappointed.

2  Thank BlueBear92
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

I am sorry that during your recent stay that our air conditioning was not able to stay ahead of the persistant heat. Being from the area, I am sure that you know that this was unusual. The extreme heat coupled with the fact that we recently changed over to an "environmentally friendly" thermostat were troublesome.

I can tell you that we have sense learned to get better results from the thermostats and that even during the most recent heat wave, people were able to stay comfortable.

Please give us another opportunity to be an oasis for you when you are in the area.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I am a big fan of the Westin chain, but this property was disappointing. While in a nice location with an impressive exterior the inside was lacking any soul.

My room was large in size but uninspired in its decoration. The bathroom looked like one in a hospital. No separate shower. You have to climb into the bath tub. The shower head is mounted far too low and the piping is sticking out of an unfinished hole in the wall.

The minibar is a small fridge sitting in the room. No cabinet to integrate it.

While the room itself was clean the balcony ( which by the way is shared with the room next door....) was very filthy with cigarettes on the floor.

Water in the room is not complementary neither is the Internet.

Only highlight was the very friendly service in the restaurant and the complementary shuttle to Pasdena's shops and restaurants.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

It took 5 phone calls in 100 degree heat to get picked up by the shuttle service. they were very unaccommodating. The rooms and pool and veery nice and the new exterior paint project is an improvement.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

There's a lot to like about this hotel but several drawbacks keep it from being more than average. Rooms are nicely redecorated and somewhat recently from what I could tell. I had a corner room on a SPG Floor and it was very quiet with a nice view of the mountains. They skimped on refinishing the ceilings, however, and the old "popcorn" look kind of ruins the whole room. Very strange placement of dorm type refrigerator next to TV. Wooden shutters look great but don't do a great job of blocking light. I had a hard time sleeping past 7 with the light plus heat. The air conditioning was subpar and the placement of the vent makes it hard to cool room properly. Service is so so. Front desk staff isn't very friendly or welcoming. I have several complaints re: the check in process which I'm taking directly to management. The self parking option is just fine and quite affordable. I don't understand the complaints about it. It's easily accessible with just a short walk all of which is connected to the hotel. I wouldn't waste extra money or time on valet. Hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2012

At the moment I sat down, I was immediately served coffee and OJ. There was almost no wait on the food and it was awesome. I even got to try some delicious home made salsa. The servers were courteous and basically awesome. I highly recommend this hotel's breakfast area, tell Norman I said hi.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

I honestly don't have the time to write everything down. Suffice to say that I echo many of the comments here regarding housekeeping. In addition, I found the self parking very inconvenient. The hotel's website advertises valet and self parking. While self parking is cheaper ($9 compared to $15 for valet), the Westin fails to tell you that self parking is in fact CITY parking with no in and out privileges. So, unless you plan on not using your car, it is rather more expensive. In addition, I also had my room entered by housekeeping (or someone) when the do not disturb sign was on the door handle. I left the room mid day with the do not disturb sign on and returned to the room to find the sign on the floor inside the room. My closed computer bag, which had been propped up against the desk, was on its side, on the floor, with some of its contents all over the floor. Draw your own conclusions here.

Everyday, I had to make a list of basics that I needed that were not restocked in the room (soap, shampoo, coffee, stir sticks, sugar, bath mat, creamer, etc). The list changed everyday, but there was always something. Is this Westin's view of four star service?

I found it interesting that when I clicked on the one star reviews here on Tripadvisor to see if my follow travellers experienced similarly poor service at the Westin, the manager's responses said it all. Condescending in tone! These negative reviews are not an aberration when close to half your reviews rate the Westin average or below. The whole point is to learn from these reviews and improve your service, not to dismiss them off hand.

Here's hoping the Westin corrects these deficiencies and eventually lives up to the brand name. I will not be returning to see if they do.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank s2math
Timothy L, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

I sincerely apologize for our short comings during your stay. I assure you that my responses are not "canned" or meant to be condescending in tone or content. We take your remarks very seriously and use them in training for our associates and as a tool to be better for all than we were for those that take the time to respond. We have many people who have a wonderful experience with us and I hope that if you wre to give us another chance, that we could prove to you that we are deserving of our four star rating. Please let us know when your back int he area so the we can properly welcome you and give you a Westin branded experience.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is such an enticing property, a good brand, with a fab location, pleasant rooms, and many things to recommend it (theoretically)...and yet the Westin in Pasadena seems to be in the midst of some calamitous freefall from which it cannot extricate itself.

I found a terrific rate there for a 2-week stay while researching an article on the city, but within a few days the list of grievances piled up so high that soon I was in daily conversation with the hotel general manager. Not one but TWO missed wake-up calls that resulted in utter panic; not once but THREE times packages were left sitting in the delivery room without notifying me of their arrival despite daily pestering from me. I'd shipped several large boxes ahead of my arrival, calling in advance to make certain these could be safely stored despite their size and was REPEATEDLY assured they'd be well-looked after until my check-out. And yet, unbelievably, were delivered to my room, 24 hours after they'd arrived (without my knowlege) despite a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN on the door (apparently the staff likes to go into these particular rooms, as described by another reviewer below). When asked that they be removed back to storage, I as refused due to "lack of space"!

The list goes on: I was forced to change rooms in the middle of my stay due to plastic suddenly appearing and obsuring any view (work taking place on the hotell's exterior isn't mentionied anywhere on the website "since it won't interfer with your stay", I was told....)

When I checked out, the very pleasant Duty Manager Ofelia listened to my myriad complaints and did shave a few dollars off my bill, but not nearly enough make up for the damaged nerves and complete frustration, or to keep from from telling people NOT to stay there until they get the situation under control.

On the good side though - I would like to point out that besides the kindly Ofelia, the dining room food is surprisingly good, and the primary waiter, Norman, was unfailingly kind and helpful in the midst of our non-stop tribulations. I can say the same for the excellent and efficient desk clerk Kahari, who genuinley tried to help when I so disturbed by the continual inefficiency: I hope he seeks employment elsewhere, like the gorgeous and professional Langham Resort: I moved there for a few days of research, had to pay more but still received a fantastic rate, and it was such a lovely experience compared to the Westin that I will now stay THERE every time I return to Pasadena, which will be often.

Room Tip: Just make certain there is no exterior work going on when you check in, and make sure you can actual...