“Very nice stay in Pasadena”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York, NY, USA
“Very nice stay in Pasadena”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect based on previous reviews here but I had a very nice one night stay. The valet quickly took my car when I arrived. Parking w/ in-and-out privileges is $13/night. You can self park next door for $8, but no in-and-out. Checkin was friendly and quick. The lobby is that of an upscale hotel, with sundry store, business center, restaurant, etc. I think you have to pay for the business center but they had separate computers to print out boarding passes for free. The guest room itself is a little small, but was fine for what I needed. There is an inroom safe and coffee maker but no minibar or fridge in the room. I thought the room was clean and pretty modern with a good desk and comfortable office chair for working. The room was in the front of the hotel facing the street but the windows were thick enough to keep the noise out. Hi speed internet is $11/night.

There is an outdoor pool and a well equipped modern gym with cardio, weights, etc. I had room service for dinner, which came in 25 minutes (they said it would be 45 minutes when I ordered probably to manage expectations). Food was expensive, as you might expect from room service, and tasted reasonably good though not over the top delicious. The next day I asked for late checkout and was given until 3 pm with no hesitation.

The hotel is located near Old Pasadena, but it's not right outside the door--probably a 10 minute walk. There isn't much directly outside the hotel--a gas station and I think the local courthouse. The only other hotel in the area seems to be the Courtyard Marriott, which IS right next to Old Pasadena. But I stopped by there and while it seemed to be a nice hotel it is not in the same class as Westin. I would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jack783
TheWestinPasadena, Management at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
We could not be happier that you were so happy. The detail that you provided in your review will serve well for the many viewers that look for an opinion. As you referenced, our location is just one of many great things about us. While there are competitors in the local area, none that provide the same level of branded service that The Westin Pasadena can. Thank you for pointing this out along with our state of the art fitness center, Heavenly Bed and Bath and exceptional sesrvice. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Until then, be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Arkansas
Reviewed 1 January 2010

My husband and I were in town for the USC football opener and stayed for 2 nights at the Westin. The hotel was great, very comfortable, good location for walking around. Front desk staff was great at helping with directions to avoid traffic. The room wasn't overly large but we got a good deal so I can't complain. However, the room was a little noisy but nothing that really kept us awake. We would stay there again just because of the location and beds :) The valet was really great too...I forgot my phone in the car and he ran back to get it for me. I think we were charged $13/night for parking

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I had read the previous reviews and was a bit hesitant about our stay at the Westin. My husband has just had surgery at St. Vincent's and we were recommended to the Westin in Pasadena primarily because of its close proximity to Colorado Blvd. and the opportunities for my husband to walk and rehabilitate. Some of the reviews were concerning but our experience was quite fine. The location is terrific, as are the room views of the mountains. Our room was spic and span clean and we heard very little hallway noises. The bartender at the lobby bar/restaurant was very personable and the concierge could not have been more accomodating! We hope to return to the Westin with our children and use it as a central point from which to visit the local sites.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Came for a family funeral, so wasn't in a great mood to begin with on this trip.
I might have been ultra sensitive, but it did seem like the walls were paper thin.
Very comfy beds may have compensated for the noise next door. (What can a hotel clerk do about this anyway?)
No matter what I can afford, I really resent the wi fi charges. I hate being nickel/dimed; especially in a hotel that would like to consider itself first class. C'mon it's just greedy and cheap. As an AMEX platinum member, I expected some perk and didn't see much.
I am actually returning for the Rose Bowl this year, paying through the nose, and I bet they are still going to charge for wi fi and have overpriced breakfasts. I am smart enough to bypass the car rental.
Convenience is key, otherwise not sure I would give it another shot. This is your last chance Westin....

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 12 November 2009

This would be a very nice, modern Westin that features a current Westin room design and has a comfy bed and a double shower-head, except there's one problem. It is the dirtiest Westin I've stayed at. Ever. I've stayed in dirtier rooms, but not ones that belong to a major upscale chain.
The carpet in the hallway from the elevator to the room was littered with small bits of garbage and the floor in my bathroom was pretty terrible. When I moved the garbage can in the john, it was pretty obvious no one had cleaned under it in weeks. Really filthy tile. And rather surprising for a new-ish four-star hotel. What else aren't they cleaning that isn't quite so obvious? I don't want to know, that's for sure.
I got an amazingly good deal on my room at Priceline.com, so I'm guessing the hotel is suffering from low occupancy and, as a result, has reduced its housekeeping staff. You can tell that in general, the hotel is not being maintained as well as it should be. Don't managers ever walk the halls?
Beyond that, the location is not far from most of the stuff you'd want to do in Pasadena, but not that close either. Parking wasn't exorbitant, but I found a spot across the street and saved $15.
The front desk staff was very nice and friendly, so no complaints there.
For the money I spent, I'd definitely stay here again. For the Westin.com rates, I wouldn't. I was kind of grossed out and depressed by the unclean halls and bathroom floors, and I'm not that picky. I'm giving it four stars, because I liked the decor, they were nice to me, I got a very nice view, had a great night's sleep and didn't notice the filthy bathroom floor until the morning.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W
Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I arrived late in the evening. The staff was great and very helpful. This is something to expect from Westin. The food was excellent bu the prices were not. The ground were very nice and I had a great view of the Mountiains from my room. You have to pay for Wi-Fi. The worst part of the stay was the paper thin walls. I could here almost every conversation in the next room and in the hallway. That was very disappointing. I did not contact the desk because I knew there wasn't much they could do about the foundation and construction. I would reccommend this Hotel if you don't mind interrupted sleep.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
TheWestinPasadena, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
I am sorry that you found the noise to be a problem. Generally speaking the windows do a great job of keeping out the street noise and we do not receive much feedback regardiong the room to room noise. Nonetheless, I am sorry if the noise left you less than well rested as The Heavenly Bed usually delivers on a great night's sleep. That said we hope you might try us again as maybe an end or corner room would be less impacted by surrounding noise. Until then, remain well.
Chelan, Washington
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This hotel is well located in the center of town. The valet parking is only 13.00. The employees seemed friendly and helpful. The rooms are very nice, as are the beds and the bathrooms. It has a great workout area. The pool is quiet, outside, and overlooks the old part of town. It has a great view.

I didnt eat there so cant comment on the food. It is definitely 4 star and I would return.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
TheWestinPasadena, General manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
....We think so too, so thank you for taking the time to comment. The hotel and the city have so much to offer and we are simply thrilled that you had a great time enjoying both. Remain well....