“Perfect stay at The Westin Pasadena!”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I recently stayed at the Westin Pasadena for 2 nights, Feb. 24-26. Here are the highlights:

1. The room was clean and furnished with a comfortable bed, foam and feather pillows and flat screen TV. Everything was in perfect condition. The bathroom was stylish and came with green tea scented toiletries and a dual-headed shower (see photo).
2. The Westin Pasadena has an excellent (and empty) workout center with a lot of new equipment as the photo indicates. It faces a lovely cabana-filled rooftop pool.
3. The staff were friendly and helpful. They even gave me the WiFi code for free both nights.
4. Regarding parking, it is $13/night for valet but you have in-out privileges. (It is $9/night with no in-out). Each time I needed the car, I called down about 10 minutes before and the car was always ready and waiting.
5. The location is excellent. It is a short 2 block walk to Colorado Street where all the Old Town Pasadena shops and restaurants are located. Friends of mine stayed at the Langham Hilton which is fancier but not convenient to Old Town Pasadena and they said they wished they'd stayed at the Westin.
6. I was on a business trip and was fortunate to get a corporate rate ($147/nt.) but noticed that the nightly price on the Westin website and hotel search engines was very reasonable for the Westin Pasadena, considering the quality of the hotel.

On a side note, I had a massage one afternoon at the Burke-Williams Day Spa on a small street just off Colorado St. in Pasadena and really enjoyed it. It is a beautiful tranquil space and my therapist, Moon, had strong hands and was simply excellent.

I am a tough hotel critic and was thoroughly happy with the Westin Pasadena!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank Jemimagold
TheWestinPasadena, Management at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2010

Wow! We cannot thank you enough for such rave reviews. We really try hard and therefore your comments matter greatly to us. It is through the good and bad that we are given the opportunity to grow where we can and celebrate when we can. It appears based on your comments that celebrating is in order....thank you! Continue to travel safely.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed with friends in Pasadena for a week, then moved to the Westin when another friend joined me. I got a terrific deal through Hotwire. Split with my friend, it was an amazing bargain. Because we saved so much, I used the valet parking every day. You can get very used to valet parking. The hotel is only two blocks from the Paseo Colorado shopping mall, which has a multi-plex cinema, and about six blocks from Old Pasadena. It's across the street from the magnificent City Hall. The rooftop pool has a killer view of the city hall dome. There is a lovely garden mall connecting the hotel to an office complex to the south, which includes a California Pizza Kitchen. Our room was a little tight, but pleasant and had a nice view of the San Gabriel Mountains. The lobby is beautiful, and I like the "library" which is full of books that you can sit and read or take to your room. I was put off by the fact that I had to pay to use a computer in the business center/shop. This was after staying at a Doubletree near the airport where the computers were free -- first come, first served. When I asked the clerk why a hotel of this class made you pay for the computers, she said, "probably because they can." She seemed almost embarrased that she had to charge me. I had one meal (breakfast) at the hotel restaurant, on the outside terrace, and it was pricey but lovely.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Williame303

The only thing better than nearly perfect, is simply perfect. Therefore I am sorry that we fell ever so slightly short of perfect. While we we charge for in-room internet usage, we do provide free boarding pass and flight information services. In addition, our concierge are always more than helpful in identifying top places to eat and tour while visiting. Nonethless, we thank you for all of the positive feedback and hope that you will return again soon. In the meantime, remain well.

Reviewed 23 February 2010

We went to Pasadena for a long weekend of play - we'd been there before so we knew what to expect and there were no surprises. The room was lovely with windows that opened and faced Old Town and the hills. The window seat lacked a blanket, that was taken care of with a call to housekeeping. Did miss a fridge but not a big deal. We walked everywhere, leaving the car parked for 3 days. The "buy 2, get 3" deal was irresistible! A wonderful place and a great weekend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VivianCa

Thank you for your kind comments. The stay two nights and get the third night free is a great promotion called Linger Longer. You are in great company as more and more guests are discovering what a great value this limited time offer provides. That being said, we hope to see you again soon and in the meantime, be well.

Reviewed 14 February 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect based on previous reviews here but I had a very nice one night stay. The valet quickly took my car when I arrived. Parking w/ in-and-out privileges is $13/night. You can self park next door for $8, but no in-and-out. Checkin was friendly and quick. The lobby is that of an upscale hotel, with sundry store, business center, restaurant, etc. I think you have to pay for the business center but they had separate computers to print out boarding passes for free. The guest room itself is a little small, but was fine for what I needed. There is an inroom safe and coffee maker but no minibar or fridge in the room. I thought the room was clean and pretty modern with a good desk and comfortable office chair for working. The room was in the front of the hotel facing the street but the windows were thick enough to keep the noise out. Hi speed internet is $11/night.

There is an outdoor pool and a well equipped modern gym with cardio, weights, etc. I had room service for dinner, which came in 25 minutes (they said it would be 45 minutes when I ordered probably to manage expectations). Food was expensive, as you might expect from room service, and tasted reasonably good though not over the top delicious. The next day I asked for late checkout and was given until 3 pm with no hesitation.

The hotel is located near Old Pasadena, but it's not right outside the door--probably a 10 minute walk. There isn't much directly outside the hotel--a gas station and I think the local courthouse. The only other hotel in the area seems to be the Courtyard Marriott, which IS right next to Old Pasadena. But I stopped by there and while it seemed to be a nice hotel it is not in the same class as Westin. I would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jack783

We could not be happier that you were so happy. The detail that you provided in your review will serve well for the many viewers that look for an opinion. As you referenced, our location is just one of many great things about us. While there are competitors in the local area, none that provide the same level of branded service that The Westin Pasadena can. Thank you for pointing this out along with our state of the art fitness center, Heavenly Bed and Bath and exceptional sesrvice. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Until then, be well.

Reviewed 1 January 2010

My husband and I were in town for the USC football opener and stayed for 2 nights at the Westin. The hotel was great, very comfortable, good location for walking around. Front desk staff was great at helping with directions to avoid traffic. The room wasn't overly large but we got a good deal so I can't complain. However, the room was a little noisy but nothing that really kept us awake. We would stay there again just because of the location and beds :) The valet was really great too...I forgot my phone in the car and he ran back to get it for me. I think we were charged $13/night for parking

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I had read the previous reviews and was a bit hesitant about our stay at the Westin. My husband has just had surgery at St. Vincent's and we were recommended to the Westin in Pasadena primarily because of its close proximity to Colorado Blvd. and the opportunities for my husband to walk and rehabilitate. Some of the reviews were concerning but our experience was quite fine. The location is terrific, as are the room views of the mountains. Our room was spic and span clean and we heard very little hallway noises. The bartender at the lobby bar/restaurant was very personable and the concierge could not have been more accomodating! We hope to return to the Westin with our children and use it as a central point from which to visit the local sites.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Came for a family funeral, so wasn't in a great mood to begin with on this trip.
I might have been ultra sensitive, but it did seem like the walls were paper thin.
Very comfy beds may have compensated for the noise next door. (What can a hotel clerk do about this anyway?)
No matter what I can afford, I really resent the wi fi charges. I hate being nickel/dimed; especially in a hotel that would like to consider itself first class. C'mon it's just greedy and cheap. As an AMEX platinum member, I expected some perk and didn't see much.
I am actually returning for the Rose Bowl this year, paying through the nose, and I bet they are still going to charge for wi fi and have overpriced breakfasts. I am smart enough to bypass the car rental.
Convenience is key, otherwise not sure I would give it another shot. This is your last chance Westin....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business