“Close to downtown LA & Dodger Baseball”

The Westin Pasadena
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
GreenLeadersBronze level
Troy, Michigan
“Close to downtown LA & Dodger Baseball”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

This hotel is located in Pasadena, within walking distance to a lot of bars, restaurants. The hotel also offers a shuttle service. Parking was $14/day self park with no in & out priviledges, or $19 valet with in & out as many times as you wanted. We did valet and they always had the car ready in a few minutes, even at busy check-in & check-out times.
The purpose of our stay was to attend games at Dodger Stadium. It takes less than 30 minutes to get there from this hotel (even on a Friday afternoon at rush hour-we hit no traffic).
All of the staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean. They offered us a $5 per day coupon for food or beverage if we opted out of the housekeeping service. So, we just got refreshed on towels and toiletries.
The business center was closed a couple of times I wanted to use it (during what I felt to be "normal" business hours such as 10:00 AM). You can use the interent, and printing for free for first 5 min & 5 copies (i think) and after that you have to pay. They didn't tell us until the day we checked out, but supposedly they also have a self-serve boarding pass kiosk to use as well.
Nice view of the mountains out of our window.
The only downside of our stay was there was a wedding going on and there were about 50 people gathered in the elevator lobby of our floor making a lot of noise. Other than that, I never heard any noise from other rooms or the hallway.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D-nice
TheWestinPasadena, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and overall great review. It is unfortunately a well kept secret as to the great proximity of The Westin Pasadena to Dodger Stadium and therefore I hope your review reaches many. In support of what you stated, several teams have also found their way to making The Westin Pasadena their home while traveling. In addition and as you pointed out, our location offers great views and proximity to Old Town Pasadena where you will find numerous restaurants, boutiques and shops. Parking is often a concern for any hotel guest so while I appreciate your comment, I am glad to read that you figured out the great value our Valet offers. I could not agree more that the service and value of valet far outweighs self parking. Therefore while the hotel has self parking available, it does not support this City operated service. Let me end by thanking you for the kind review and wishing you well in your continued travels...Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perrysburg, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

The nice thing about Westin is that there is a consistency you can rely on. Clean. The Heavenly Bed. A certain level of class. It is my favorite hotel brand, and I've stayed at Westins all over the country and overseas.

That said, this is one of the weaker Westins. The hotel is older than most, and showed it in certain ways such as rust around the tub faucet. The staff turns over the rooms late, around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and once forget to replenish the shampoo. The pool is small and did not have anyone assigned to cleaning it: hence bugs and leaves and what not. Having to pay for parking and internet and morning coffee in the lobby are small annoyances, but annoyances nonetheless.

Still, its still a Westin, and that means comfort adn class. The above were small inconveniences, and overall we had a nice stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your fair and constructive feedback. I must agree that The Westin brand in general is a cut above the rest and that makes it easier to understand why you would reference the disappointments that you did. While under constant review and without excuse, the hotel is preparing itself for a guestroom renovation. I am confident that the issues you referenced in the rooms are ones that we can address regardless and therefore thank you for the feedback. Nonetheless, the renovation will certainly elevate and improve upon the quality and feeling of the room. That aside, I am glad you found the service acceptable and your stay comfortable even though there were a few other nuisances. All in all, it is good to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the feedback. Rest assured that your comments did not fall on deaf ears and we will address the issues you have highlighted. Thank you and continue to travel safe...Jonathan Litvack
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

This is a great choice for people that want to be in Pasadena, next to the Old Town Hall, a walk from Paseo Colorado and Old Town and Madeleines; a longer stroll to Daisy Mint, Celestinos or Bistro 45, with California Pizza Kitchen and MCCormick and Schick on site. Its a hotel that is comfortable and serves families, meeting and business people very well.
So what's wrong with it?

The tariff can be expensive unless you get a deal - this last time we did as part of a meeting. I must say they did a great job with the meeting stuff and we will try to meet here again.

The parking can be an issue - its $16 per day for valet and then if you park down stairs on your own its $14 per day, $1.75 per hour (ouch) during the week. On weekend days its $5 flat rate. You can get parking in a lot close by for less than that. All that said, valet may be worthwhile - if you are expensing it or you want in and out privileges. In that regard the valets are very good and they know you by name even one a single day basis.

One small issue at our meeting, we have a lunch executive meeting on one of the days with 35 people in the Plaza room. The food and service were good but the acoustics in the room - its seems to be under air conditioner compressor or something - were real problem.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DoesNotGetOutMuch
TheWestinPasadena, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Thank for your kind and objective review. I certainly can appreciate how parking expenses can quickly add to the overall cost of one's stay. That being said, I would agree with you that Valet is the best way to go as it is quick, easy and the attendants are exceptional, As for your meeting, I am glad to read that it went well overall and while I will look into your comment regarding the a/c of the room, I am sorry that it ocurred. Lastly, I could not agree with you more in terms of our location and the ease of getting around. Shops and restaurants are in tremendous abundance and all are within just a few short blocks. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. In the meantime, remain well and travel safe....
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

I spent a night at the Westin Pasadena after several nights at a nearby hotel (also for business). On the plus side: the windows in my 9th Starwood Preferred Guest floor room opened so I was able to enjoy the crisp cool air (together with a lovely view of the mtns). The room had a very comfortable window seat which I used a lot to sit and enjoy the view while I worked. Room service was prompt and delicious. The staff could not have been friendlier. And the location is very good, close to shops, old Pasadena, etc. I also thought the pool area was very inviting as well as the grounds (in contrast to my other hotel (the Hilton) which had much less ambiance. On the negative side: strangely, the room was a bit worn, including a sink with a large crack and a floorboard with a six-inch crack. The baseboards were also marked up. When I checked into my room, I found a rag from the cleaning crew under a chair and there were glasses in the hallway on the floor. In the end, I don't really care because I liked the location, staff and views, but it made me wonder why the hotel did not spend a little more time to take care of its facilities. Also, keep in mind that if you keep your window open, you will definitely hear traffic if you are on the street side. (Perhaps ask for a room facing the other way). Internet charge is $11.95 per day; I don't know why they don't offer it for free for their frequent travelers like some other brands. Still, I love the Westin brand and found the staff's engaging, helpful ways obviated the somewhat worn furnishings.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank junodee
TheWestinPasadena, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Thank you for your fair and kind insight to your recent stay at The Westin Pasadena. I sincerely appreciate the balance and perspective that you were able to bring. The hotel is indeed beautiful, comfortable and well positioned within the City. Shops, Restaurants, Art and Museums are bountiful and all well within walking distance. From our pool to our gorgeous views; we have it all to offer. Above all and as you referenced, it is indeed our exceptional service that keeps us as the only Four Diamond hotel in Pasadena. That said we understand your comments regarding general wear and we currently have a plan in place to address all of our guestrooms and public areas. Lastly, we do offer guestrooms that include internet as well as all Platinum SPG members receive "free" internet. Thank you again for your kind comments and continue to travel safely....We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Pasadena.
SoCal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

We had a nice one night stay. We found a good rate directly on the Westin website, cheaper than what we could find on any of the travel sites. We had a very nice view and the rooms are clean and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They had a very convenient shuttle that took us to a nearby restaurant and we just had to call the driver when we were done and he came and picked us up. Our only complaint was our room looked out onto the street and in the early morning hours we were disturbed by the traffic noise.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
TheWestinPasadena, Jonathan Litvack, General manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Thank you for the favorable review and for offering to recommend us to your friends. The hotel and our associates that provide outstanding service make The Westin Pasadena a great place to stay. I appreciate your recognizing us for this reason as well as others that you mentioned. Our location places us in the heart of the City and within easy walking distance to Old Town Pasadena. The result of this benefit despite thick double pane windows is the ocassional concern you referenced regarding noise. I am deeply sorry that the night you stayed, this was an issue. Nonetheless, I am glad that everything would could more easily affect was wonderful and in the end you would recommend us and return yourself. We look forward to greeting you again in the near future and until then, wish you continued safe travels. Remain well...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

We visit Pasadena regularly as a weekend-getaway place. We always stay at the Westin Pasadena. It is perfectly located; it's a modern, attractive hotel; the rooms are very pleasant and have great views of the city/mountains; the beds are super comfortable; and the in-room coffee maker is stocked with plenty of coffee. We're Starwood Gold members, so we get upgraded when possible to nicer rooms, but even the standard rooms are nice.

The Westin is within easy walking distance of the Colorado shopping area and the city hall, so there are a lot of nice walks to be had in the evening. The valet parking rate is very fair, so leave your car and walk to breakfast and dinner.

Great, great place.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BobRobs
TheWestinPasadena, Jonathan Litvack, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 16 April 2010
Wow...this is music to our ears and we cannot thank you enough. We would agree that the hotel is positioned perfectly within the City of Pasadena and that the views of City Hall and the San Gabriel Mountain ranges are breath taking. In addition, it was great to read how you enjoy the benefits of being a Gold SPG member and that guestroom upgrades are extended whenever possible. It is just one of the many benefits that being an SPG member can provide. We will watch for your return in the near future and thank you again for taking the time to write such a glowing review. In the meantime, continue to travel safe and remain well...
Thousan Oaks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

I recently stayed at the westin pasadena on March 26th, 2010 and April 2nd, 2010 both stays were horrible f4rom the time I got there. First the valet left me for 5-10 minutes in my car when I pulled up, so I got ou myself and blocked their driveway since no one would help me. The front desk staff is very unfriendly, doesn't even ask how your doing today or upon deparure ask how your stay was. Both stays I had the do notdisturb sign on my door and both times the housekeeping banged on my door at 10:30AM, do they not know how to read, I get to the room around 4:00AM and don't appreciate being woke up by the maids. They rip you off for valet parking, when I stay at the Ritz or Four Seasons the parking is free. I guess I got real use to hospitality at a place I am paying to stay. For the 2 horrible stays they should have paid me to stay there. When I checked in on April 2nd, 2010 the keys to my room did not even work, so I went back down to the front desk and they gave me a different room and made me go up with a bell boy, which I was not happy about, the bell boy expected a tip and would not leave my room, so I told him he will not being getting a tip and to leave my room. Both stays from the time I arrived to the time I left was horrible, the TV does not work great in the rooms, you have to work to hard to change the channel. I will be honest, Motel 6 and the Super 8 are not as nice of places to stay but they are 100% more friendly than the Westin Pasadena. Also upon check out of my last visit on April 2nd, 2010 I asked the front desk supervisor for their corporate number, he actually gave me the SPG gold customer number, I am not a gold member to begin with, so that just shows that they refuse to service guests properly. All of this is also been recorded with the Starwood Corporate Office. Please do not stay at the Westin Pasadena if you expect good hospitality, because I yet to have seen anything close to hospitality.

Geoffrey Blevins

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank raggtyme
TheWestinPasadena, Jonathan Litvack, General Manager at The Westin Pasadena, responded to this review, 5 April 2010
Dear Mr. Blevins,
I am deeply sorry for the trouble you experienced during your recent stay and that our attempt to address them with you directly while you were here, fell short. While I may not agree with all that you had to say, I certainly respect your perception and hope to turn your ill feelings around during a future stay. As you will hopefully see, many guests that stay with us write positive reviews, but we are not without fault and in your instance we apparently missed the mark. In the end, you have caught our attention and we hope to resolve your concerns through direct contact. In the meantime, thank you for your feed back and remain well...