“Grand Old Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Connecticut, USA
“Grand Old Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The original Huntington Hotel was built in the early 1900s but, when it didn't meet the current earthquake standards in 1985, it was torn down. The hotel re-opened as a Ritz-Carlton with the main building rebuilt very much like the original. In 2008, it became part of the Langham Hotel chain out of Hong Kong.

The Langham retains the old style of a grand, luxury hotel with massive, beautifully-decorated reception rooms and ballrooms and gracious hotel rooms with marble baths, two line telephones and free Internet access. It's the 23 acres on which the hotel is set which are so captivating. The pool is set in a beautiful site just across the "picture bridge" from the Japanese gardens and between the main hotel building and the private cottages (which are for rent).

Located at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, the Langham Huntington enjoys gorgeous vistas in just about every direction. From the Terrace Bar, one looks out over the grounds of the hotel, and in the distance sees the lights of Pasadena, nestled in the valley. Enchanting!

This is a truly special place that's a dying breed in today's hotel world.

Now for the few nitpicky comments: 1. Although the Langham is in a very residential area that necessitates a car, they charge $25 a day for parking and you must use the valet service. Very inconvenient and, coupled with the almost $400 a night charge for a basic room, excessive.
2. This is such a popular wedding site that you can't go anywhere on the weekends without bumping into wedding parties. If you love brides and wedding dresses, that's great, but if you're less than thrilled with late-night wedding-goers who've had way too much to drink and are stumbling down the hallway outside your room as they sing disco hits from the 80s, it's less than thrilling. 3. The Chuan toiletries in the sumptuous baths are second-rate, which kept me from booking an appointment at the hotel's Chuan Spa. Maybe I'm too picky; you may love Chuan's products.

That's it for the nitpicking. We would go back to the Langham Huntington in a heartbeat but my preference would be non-wedding nights....maybe Monday through Thursday.

Room Tip: For $135, your dog can enjoy the Langham experience with his/her own porcelain food bowl, pink pillo...
1 Thank LilyK88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Several of us stayed here for a JPL conference.

The hotel is fantastic as expected , the rooms were great, the towels amazing, the pool very clean and user friendly.

Unfortunately the breakfast was too expensive for daily use so we went elsewhere for our meals.

Great hotel for a luxury stay and great and helpful staff.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was just here the last weekend of June 2014 for a family reunion and to remember our late mother. We came here because this special place was one of my mother's top favorites (when it was the Ritz-Carlton). Of course, it brought back many fond memories. I've stayed here more than 10 times under Langham management. Overall, our weekend was wonderful. The very young nephews and nieces had a great time having lunch and afternoon tea by the pool. The wait staff was unfrazzled by the large party of 22. The nice balance of sun and shade at The Terrace offered perfect soothing ambience for long conversations. The Club Lounge was worth every dollar of extra room rate -- staff was courteous and friendly, food was good. The gardens were serene and beautiful as always. I stayed here for the first time more than 20 years ago. Under the Langham management, there has been enhancements in several areas. The Spa was and is great (however, the explanation given to me for not having wifi in the gym/spa baffled me -- bring it back -- leave t to the guests to decide how they want to enjoy the moment, please). The hardware in this historic hotel needs to be upgraded (phone system, elevators), however, its current state has not so far compromised the quality of my stay, but one can see it may soon. I have highly recommended this hotel/resort to friends and have not heard any complaints. This is as a special a place for romantic couples as it is for happy families.

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful property and location, pleasant and helpful staff, delicious food, meeting areas very pleasant. This has been one of the better locations for a business conference. I would highly recommend.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hollywood, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a review of the Sunday brunch. The location is great and the food very good. It makes for a wonderful relaxing brunch experience.

I did stay here 10 years ago for one night and the interior room that we had was excellent. Very comfortable. It was for a wedding and it was a very romantic locale.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were staying at the hotel for the weekend from Friday to Sunday while we were attending our friends wedding, being held at the hotel. At first we were given a room in the farthest possible place, a different building, by the pool. The room was not to our satisfaction, so my husband went downstairs to the lobby and for an additional fee per night they upgraded us to a better room in the main building.

The Maid service was very slow, and on our first day they didn't even come. When I called at 3pm, they told me they could clean the room until 4pm, and turn down started at 7:30. I said that I didn't understand how they could only begin to clean the room so late in the day and then begin turndown a few hours later. But ok, I will live with it, I guess.

Then the TV in our room didn't work. My husband called the technician, they came, couldn't fix it and said they had to move us to another room. They said they would make sure to move everything. However when we were settled in the new room, I realized that my husbands clothes were missing from one of the drawers. We had to get the maintenance to go and get our clothes. Then we noticed that they forgot my husbands Art of Shaving razor in the bathroom. This time when the maintenance went to go get it, it was gone. No one knew what happened, or where it disappeared to, and it was all very frustrating at this point. They didn't apologize or offer to reimburse us, just gave us a cheap one time use one for him to use at this point.

The worst happened the next day, when I left my diamond stud earrings in the room, on the TV consul table upon checking out. We barely had time to get into the car and drive away, when I noticed that I did not have them and they were left in the room. We immediately called the hotel in panic, and begged them to race to the room to go get them. After asking a million questions instead of actually going to look for them, they told us they were gone, not there and there isn't much they can do. A maximum of 20 minutes had gone by. 2 people had entered the room in the 20 minutes we were gone and no one had cleaned it. The hotel did not take any responsibility and basically said tough luck.

I am not a complainer, I don't normally pay attention or get upset about little details here and there but this was just not right. If they would have handled the situation with some decency and concern, I am sure the result would have been different.

3 Thank Masha M
Glendale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love the entrance to this hotel. As soon as I arrive I feel relaxed. Their signature scent (which is available in the on site shop) is really quite lovely. The staff are always attentive, the grounds are always beautiful. My one complaint would be that the pool area can get crowded on weekends, and there is not enough shade.

Room Tip: Think about the concierge level. They do presentations of food and drink throughout the day. When yo...
Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!