The original Huntington Hotel was built in the early 1900s but, when it didn't meet the current earthquake standards in 1985, it was torn down. The hotel re-opened as a Ritz-Carlton with the main building rebuilt very much like the original. In 2008, it became part of the Langham Hotel chain out of Hong Kong.
The Langham retains the old style of a grand, luxury hotel with massive, beautifully-decorated reception rooms and ballrooms and gracious hotel rooms with marble baths, two line telephones and free Internet access. It's the 23 acres on which the hotel is set which are so captivating. The pool is set in a beautiful site just across the "picture bridge" from the Japanese gardens and between the main hotel building and the private cottages (which are for rent).
Located at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, the Langham Huntington enjoys gorgeous vistas in just about every direction. From the Terrace Bar, one looks out over the grounds of the hotel, and in the distance sees the lights of Pasadena, nestled in the valley. Enchanting!
This is a truly special place that's a dying breed in today's hotel world.
Now for the few nitpicky comments: 1. Although the Langham is in a very residential area that necessitates a car, they charge $25 a day for parking and you must use the valet service. Very inconvenient and, coupled with the almost $400 a night charge for a basic room, excessive.
2. This is such a popular wedding site that you can't go anywhere on the weekends without bumping into wedding parties. If you love brides and wedding dresses, that's great, but if you're less than thrilled with late-night wedding-goers who've had way too much to drink and are stumbling down the hallway outside your room as they sing disco hits from the 80s, it's less than thrilling. 3. The Chuan toiletries in the sumptuous baths are second-rate, which kept me from booking an appointment at the hotel's Chuan Spa. Maybe I'm too picky; you may love Chuan's products.
That's it for the nitpicking. We would go back to the Langham Huntington in a heartbeat but my preference would be non-wedding nights....maybe Monday through Thursday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Capturing the grace and elegance of a bygone era, The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles is located at the base of the picturesque San Gabriel Mountains, just nine miles north of downtown Los Angeles in beautiful Pasadena. Located on 23 acres with grand historic ballrooms and gardens, the landmark hotel features delectable dining, the award-winning Chuan Spa and a number of recreational choices such as tennis programming, fitness classes, swimming and nearby golf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo, Hotelopia, TravelUp, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles Hotel Pasadena
- Langham Huntington Hotel
- The Langham Huntington Hotel