“Loved Our Time Here!!”

Ranked #27 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Santa Monica
“Loved Our Time Here!!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We spent two nights here and had a lovely trip. Tom the owner was welcoming, informative and a great conversationalist. He is also a super musician and we spent an evening with some live music as a plus! The room was as advertised and the inn is peaceful and a bit removed from the town which was what we wanted. Tom gave us some free tasting passes to good wineries and also told us about a funky but NATURAL Hot spring down the road. Breakfast was good and all in all, we will be back. It was a great two days away from it all. Oh, and it was very easy top reserve the room even with the special offer we had.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We checked in for Valentine's weekend and had the most romantic time. The view is amazing, rooms are cozy, and host (Tom) is very hospitable. If you don't want the grandiose experience of staying at a hotel then this B&B is the way to go. We will def return when back in the area

• Stayed February 2013
Placerville, California
Reviewed 7 February 2013

My wife and I just spent two nights at Villa Valdemosa and we enjoyed every minute of our stay. Tom, the owner, is a very gracious host who went out of his way to make sure we had a pleasent stay. Don't believe the few negative comments I posted here. We will go back in a heartbeat and have already recommended it to a number of our friends.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I thought it strange when I left a message on a man's voicemail about booking the room and wondered, "is this a hotel or someone's home"? The website gave no indication, but in fact it was someone's home (I believe Tom) at one time and the decor and ambience give that vibe. As parts of the house are "off limits" and there are personal effects everywhere you definitely feel as though you're staying in someone's home. It didn't help that we got stuck in the "jr" suite (apparently the third suite listed is never booked because Tom, who continued living in it when he first booked rooms, still keeps his stuff in it). The giant painting of a little girl hanging over our bed was super creepy as well as the chimes on the breakfast patio. In my opinion, if you're going to turn your home into a "hotel" at least make the decor neutral.
At breakfast the first morning there were no eggs available so we were offered sausage and hash browns alone. The food was very diner like, nothing special and the cook was a bit difficult to communicate with.
The views are gorgeous and my husband and I were able to overlook most of the oddities and enjoy the break from the kids. But I would never recommend this place to anyone. In fact I came home and warned all my friends to pass on the Living Social deal if they ever see it come up. When I saw the deal recently posted again for even more money than we paid I decided to post this review. You are so much better off booking a room at a real hotel in downtown Paso, you'll have a much better experience, I'm sure.

• Stayed September 2012
12 Thank Anonymous6000
tomr67, Owner at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
It is always interesting to me that many people do not know what a bed and breakfast is, and are horrified to find out that they are staying in someones home when they arrive, as this party obviously did. How they could visit our website and then issue a complaint like this is hard to fathom. Our website is very clear on these issues and thousands of people have stayed here over the years We get very few complaints like this one.. This party should have stayed at a hotel where their penchant for neutral furnishings would have been met, instead of complaining about a $4000 painting by a well known San Francisco artist that was hanging on the wall. I do agree with their comment regarding our morning cook though, who has since been replaced with someone with a more engaging personality! Good help is hard to find!!

Travellers are raving about these Paso Robles hotels

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This was our first time at Villa Valdemosa. The Villa itself is capacious and nicely laid out. I think they have 5 guestrooms, but ours adjoined only one other and we heard nothing from that suite for the two nights we were there, though it was occupied. It sits on a high knoll, affording about a 270 degree view east, south and west. Beautiful on a clear morning. Both breakfasts were very good. Quiet, easy to sleep. Beautiful star show at night outside. If it had been warmer (it was the end of January) we would have sat in the gazebo and identified constellations. Tom, the owner is very knowledgeable about all the wineries in the area, knows the people who run them, can tell you which ones were recently sold and no longer so good, where the best deals are, etc. He has a stock of vouchers for free or half off tasting -- take advantage of them. He fully discloses that there is no cable TV (see the detail in the listing) but I had failed to notice that. No problem, there are hundred of DVDs for in-room film-watching. We just chose to read. All in all, very relaxing and enjoyable. Don't understand the negative comments here -- not our experience at all. Sounds like a different place to us.

Room Tip: We stayed in Syrah room. I needed a chair to sit at a small table to use my computer; a folding one...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Visalia, California, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2013

If I could choose less than one star I would. Tom, the owner, is extremely difficult. I had a trip booked and the hotel closed and never notified me. I only happened to find out by visiting their website a couple days before my trip. What a shock! When I called to reschedule there was no apology. Tom was rude and impossible to deal with. He runs a horrible business and NO ONE SHOULD stay here!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Alisha L
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We booked 2 nights at the Villa Valdemosa, and found that nothing was as advertised. We had trouble booking dates, had no power overnight and no help on site when the power was out. The "breakfast" was simply a fried egg and a single sausage, unfortunately for me. The details are truly lacking at this property, and it appeared that the cleanliness factor was also not properly attended to. Just don't do it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Lori W
tomr67, General Manager at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
It is unfortunate that this reviewer was unhappy with their stay with us. I noticed it was her first ever review and went over her complaints with my staff. Yes we did have a power outage , it happens a lot in the country. Her room was NOT dirty -as indicated, but may not have been up to her standards. This happens as we get a lot of first timers that are used to only staying in fine hotels where everything is sterile. The breakfast not only had 'an' egg, but sausage, toast, fruit, granola, fresh fruit, muffins, juice and coffee-but I see these items were not mentioned in her negative report. After several years in this business I have noticed repeating trends when visitors are not happy; they tend to make their entire experience look horrible when in fact all she wanted was a 2nd egg!!