“Go there for the views. The wine is good but not the reason to go there.”

Calcareous Vineyard
Ranked #1 of 181 things to do in Paso Robles
More attraction details
Owner description: Come visit Calcareous' tasting room, perched atop the hills of Paso Robles above the expansive Salinas Valley with a view that takes your breath away. A journey to "Lloyd's Lookout" will offer you award winning wines, spectacular views and beautifully landscaped outdoor picnic grounds. This site was designed specifically for visitors wanting to escape the routines of their daily lives and relish in an extraordinary wine-tasting experience. In this spirit we offer private winery tours by appointment and wine and food pairings featuring local organic fare. Pairings are available from 12 - 3pm each Saturday and Sunday.
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Here's the story ... you've been driving up Peachy Canyon Road for what seems like hours and you need a break, maybe a glass of wine, or maybe a snack to enjoy with that wine. And ideally you would like to enjoy a view and some fresh air.

The answer is Calcareous Vineyard. Their wine is good. Their people are wonderful. They now provide "wine pairing tastings" and they have the best view of the Paso Robles countryside in Paso Robles. And if you can survive the snake-like drive up their long winding drive as well as Peachy Canyon, you deserve a treat.

I enjoy their wines but they are good, not great in my opinion. My wife had the Burrata Salad and a Chardonnay pairing while I had the Beef Slider and red wine pairing. Both were tasty but really just appetizers. I knew they would be light ... and they were.

But we sat out at the end of their dining patio and took in the view. Classic California views and, I think, the best you can get in Paso Robles.

But 2 pairings and an additional glass of Chardonnay was $55.04. Maybe just a tad expensive for what it was .... But the view and the fresh breeze was definitely worth it.

1  Thank help32250
"picnic lunch"
"joined the wine club"
"tasting fee"

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I have been a long time (12+ years) fan of this winery, and at times (when I earned more) have been a club member. Last weekend, I was eager to introduce my San Diego friends to the great tasting wines on offer, but the 3 bottle purchase requirement to waive just one tasting fee really was off putting to my guests. Maybe that's been the winery's policy for a while, maybe it's gotten so popular they implemented that standard to keep the hordes down. Either way, compared to the other outstanding (and comparable quality) wineries we visited (requiring 1-2 bottles), 3 bottles is too much. So we left, empty handed and my friends were unimpressed. And they continued to buy elsewhere...

Reviewed 16 August 2017

A large group of us went last weekend and traveled up the hill to the gorgeous views this winery offers. Be aware of the drive, a firetruck almost collided with us on the way up. Just drive slow and you will be good. Windy road.

The tasting room is cute. It has a bar and I love they do food and wine pairings. The tasting was great but the amount in the pour was the least out of the places we went that day.

The food was excellent. The sliders were tasty. Outside was nice and the view fantastic. They do a lot of events out there.

Only bad was it was 100 degrees that day and the tasting room was quite warm for my taste to be comfortable. The doors were not open either.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

The views here are spectacular, the wines are great and the evening parties are sensational. This is a very well-run winery with everything you could ask for, as well as reasonable prices. Their red wines are outstanding. The one thing that keeps this winery feom being flooded with visitors is it's location, which is off of a winding road.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

This was a beautiful winery at the top of a hill overlooking the vineyards and wonderful views. My daughter and I went on the the recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed. The grandkids, ages 6 and 10, played on the lawn just outside the tasting room with its huge windows looking out over the views. It was a great selection of wines with a knowledgeable server and we bought a bottle of the rose to take home. Before leaving though we had to take a few photos with that beautiful background.