“A disappointment”

Habaneros Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 202 Restaurants in Paso Robles
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Relative to the many authentic Mexican restaurants I've tried in Santa Maria and
my years in Mexico, I thought Habaneros might be something special. On the positive
side the restaurant has pleasant decor with padded comfortable chairs, is very clean, and all the food seems fresh. I had the tacos al pastor which I thought were well prepared though not garnished with chopped onion & cilantro. They use two corn tortillas to prepare each taco. It was the expensive cocktail Campechana that disappointed me most. It was described as a combination of shrimp, octopus, and clam. There was good size shrimp, very little octopus, two tiny clams with their entire shells, and imitation crab (Alaskan pollack). The cocktail sauce was probably a clam & tomato juice combo, more sweet than spicy. It may be that other dishes are better prepared, but for my fix of authentic Mexican food I will return to my Santa Maria favorites.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My husband and I have been here several times and we have never been disappointed. The service is friendly, prompt (without feeling rushed) and courteous. While the menu items are typical of Mexican cuisine - don't stop at the tacos, burritos and fajitas! The seafood selections are very good, the fish/shellfish fresh (and of a decent size), and the spiciness can be adjusted to your request.
My husband loves the warm chorizo & black bean appetizer, and the seafood cocktail - with fish, octopus and shrimp, served as customary with saltine crackers. I enjoy the shrimp cocktail, and a house specialty: Shrimp Habaneros - a spicy dish with plenty of big shrimp, served with rice, beans and either flour or corn tortillas. We usually have iced tea at lunch time, but beer and wine selections are available too.
Prices are reasonable, no parking meters in sight, and the place has a nice ambiance, as well as the buzz of satisfied diners - so try it. I trust you'll enjoy it as much as we do.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Dined there recently and could not have been more impressed. GREAT authentic Mexican style food in a tasteful setting with lovely service. My only hesitation in writing this review is that it will get so busy, I won't be able to get a table.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is a great mexican restaurant. Nice, neat little place, friendly waitress. Beyond all, great food.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We moved to Paso about 10 weeks ago and have been trying out many of the restaurants. There are a lot of Mexican restaurants and this is maybe the 5th or 6th one we have tried. It is by far the best of those we have tried.

First off, the salsa and chips we the best we have had in Paso. The salsa was fresh made and the chips were also fresh. This salsa might be too mild for some, but great for us. My wife had fish tacos and I had chili Colorado. Both were excellent. The chili Colorado was different in that it was thin steak instead of the normal chunks of beef but it was quite good. The menu had a number of interesting sounding items and we will return to try some of them.

We were there on a Tuesday evening and it was fairly busy. The waitress commented it was busier than normal for a Tuesday, but she (the only waitress) and the one cook seemed to keep things under control. It is a fairly small restaurant with maybe eight tables inside and three outside. Most were filled and there were a number of takeout orders while we were there.

If you like Mexican, give this a try.