“How did I miss these guys?”
Review of Booker Vineyards

Booker Vineyards
Ranked #112 of 171 things to do in Paso Robles
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Great Wines! Not on the main drag and not for everybody. The wines are expensive, but really good. We were here during Zinfandel Weekend...no Zins here but the Rhose sytle wines are worth the tasting fee and the visit. They do have limited hours at the tasting room so plan ahead.

Great tasting room, in an "old" barn. So it really isn't old but the atmosphere is like an old barn and the staff was nice, there is a nice outside area also. Really an anti-Napa, except for the price.

All reviews
"young ladies"
in 2 reviews
in 10 reviews
in 11 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Although not on the map, my wife had done here research and found this gem. They make some of the best wine in the valley and literally the best Syrah I have ever tasted. The Fracture (name of one of the Syrah's) cost $70, but it is worth it. Most I have ever paid for a syrah, but I would give it at least a 95 rating if not more. The other wines were very good too, but the Fracture blew me away. If I had unlimited funds I would have bought cases. The tasting room does not need a prior appointment and is staffed by beautiful women. It is kind of small, but can probably hold 10 adults at the bar. My kids played with the vineyard dog and I think I saw a cat as well. I would not miss this place and will be on my list of must visit for years to come.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was our second visit to Paso Robles. Blake and I were excited to try Booker. They were sold out when we were visiting in August the year before - we were told we did not need an appointment. We visited on the afternoon of April 20, 2012 on a Friday. It was around 2:30 PM and I was beyond excited to visit this winery. It's one of the top wineries in Paso. The week before I was having wine with a friend at the Strand House in Manhattan Beach - we ordered a bottle of the Booker Ouble 2009 which was amazing. After trying the wine, it was at the the top of my list of wineries to visit ( along with Denner, RN Estate, Linne, etc).

We arrived at the winery and a girl was outside pouring for a group of people. She was very friendly and greeted us. We walked inside and a girl with long blond hair (can't remember her name) asked if we would like to do a tasting. I told her how I just had their wine and I was excited to taste their other wines - i even showed her a picture of the wine on my iphone. She barely cracked a smile or showed any interest in our excitement. She proceeded to pour us our first wine and turned around and started drying and rearranging glasses. She never told us about the wine or inquired if we had questions. Her back was to us for the majority of our visit.

Since I am a wine nut, I was anxious to learn about their blends, what kind of barrels, how long they aged their wine, where they sourced their grapes and learn more about the wine maker Eric. I KNOW NOTHING about Booker wines, the winemaker, the history, etc. I was so angry and frustrated about the level of service - I did not want to buy any wine. We ended up buying one bottle and would have bought a lot more had our experience been different. The girl completely ignored us - was busy doing everything else but doing what she should be - educating customers about Booker and answering any questions they may have. Twice we couldn't even get her attention to get another glass of wine and we were the only two people in the tasting room. I shared my experience with the proprietor of an establishment and he indicated that they had been hearing the same comments from various individuals and that they don't even send people there any longer due to the feedback. I try not to let others feedback cloud my judgement but it was interesting that others shared in my experience. I tried to call the winery and email them but was told I would have to send my comments to the info email and i wanted it to go straight to Eric. I would want to know if my customers had this type of experience. We will try the winery again to see if our experience is better and give it another chance however, the owners really should take note - we would have bought more wine, joined the wine club and told all our friends to visit. It would be a shame to have a great wine tainted by the experience tasting in ones facility especially when our experience everywhere else was nothing short of GREAT.

2  Thank Ann S