“Nice place”

GreenLeadersGold level
west hills, ca
“Nice place”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Wish the location was better but the facility and the room was very nice. Also enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi. Easy parking good breakfast and town is nearby, also convenient to the many wineries in the area. Be sure to check the table in the lobby for free tasting coupons. Room was spacious and the bedding was awesome. Modern bathroom with thick towels, and nice desk area and chair to work on the computer. Large wardrobe with ironing board and luggage rack. Coffee maker, refrigerator and safe also coffee and tea in the lobby. The surrounding area was weird, a tractor supply place across the street and a Motel 6 and crummy casino next door. Staff was very welcoming.

1 Thank jfd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Hungarian first
Portland Oregon
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The Oaks was rated #1 on Trip Advisor in Paso Robles area and we had very high expectations after reading the reviews. Here are the reasons we were not as enthusiastic. Our first impression is the public reception area which feels like any other motels of this type i.e. Holiday Inn Express, however, the rooms are nicer and well decorated. The problem with the rooms were the beds which had mattresses that were too soft and both my husband and I woke up in the morning with our backs hurting. My husband who already has back problems, slept really poorly due to the softness of the mattress and the mattress sagging. I suggested that if someone complains of the bed being too soft, they might want to have boards that they can place under the mattress. The staff was very responsive to my idea and said that they would share with management. The other problem with the property is location. It is in an industrial area and even though the charming town of Paso Robles where the good restaurants and nice shops are located is about a mile away, but I wouldn't recommend walking into the town. And, finally,we were looking forward to an unusual complimentary hot breakfast (reviews made it sound as if breakfast was made to order) in the morning, but again the quality was no different than breakfasts offered in other properties like this one (i..e Holiday Inn, Hampton inn, etc) and quite ordinary. The staff was very nice and I hate to be so critical, but my expectations were very high after reading all the reviews. If you lower your expectations, I think you will be very happy with the Oaks.

6 Thank joanzsher
arkansas
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Adding my positive comments to all the others. It was like a 4 star hotel with a very affordable price. All the extra bathroom supplies were great , and the bed was very comfortable. The bed was a bit high for my petite body, but the staff was very helpful and hunted down a small stepstool for me. They were very accommodating! We had two adjoining rooms, which made our family visit so much easier. The breakfast the next morning was a great hit with the family , as they had a wide variety of HOT breakfast! My son and his family , who live in California , can't wait to visit again with more family visitors. We highly recommend this hotel !!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hannahAr
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We had a wonderful stay at The Oaks Hotel. It was our first visit to Paso Robles and we are glad we chose The Oaks. The staff was so friendly at check in, the rooms were clean and very nice, and the breakfast was more than you would expect. We also had the owners go above and beyond for us. They called for a taxi for us, but they were running a bit behind, the wife said her husband would run us to the restaurant and we should call if we needed a ride home. Place to stay for sure!!

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

We were so happy with our stay! All staff was extremely friendly. The front desk lady spent about 20 min. showing us on a map which wineries to visit. Hotel room was very clean and comfy. The included breakfast was AMAZING.

• Stayed February 2013
Laguna Niguel, Ca
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The Oaks Hotel is fairly new. It is owned by a very attentive couple who are very hands on and are committed to the satisfication of their guests. The rooms, particularly the beds, are VERY comfortable and the room spacious. There is a refrigerator and microwave, a semi-separated sitting area and two TVs. The hotel is VERY quiet. The staff are very friendly but not very experienced.Something I am sure will improve with time.

The buffet breakfast is incredible. Both owners work in the restaurant during breakfast. They offer a full buffet breakfast including eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, oatmeal plus bread, cereal etc. The food is fresh and hot. The plates are cleared quickly. Everyone on the staff engages you--even those cooking in the kitchen!

I've written a separate review on the Hotel's new restaurant, Indulge. Not an experience to be missed! Fantastic.

Despite all of the positive things about the hotel, there were a few glitches. The room is equipped with a radio/clock/I-Pod player. I was unable to change the time on the clock (which was wrong) or make the I-Pod player work. The girl at the front desk came up to help me, but she was unable to do it either. A maintenance person came up while we were out and changed the time, but left a note to call when we returned to the room so he could help with the I-Pod player. We never had enough time to call. So they were willing to help but clearly the radio/I-Pod/clock are too difficult for the average person to work. I realize it's expensive to change these things, but the owners might consider putting something in the room to explain how they work. I tried the I-Pod both on the docking station and with the jack.

The second glitch had to do with our reservations. One person in our party booked all of our rooms. We were booked for two nights. When we returned to our rooms after wine tasting, the key on one person's room did not work. When they went to get a key, they were told they were only booked for one night, the room had been cleaned and they needed to move to another room. They started to pack their things but after showing their confirmation were allowed to stay in their room. Apparently there was a glitch in the system when they checked in. The owners did give them a bottle of wine to compensate for their inconvenience.

The final glitch was with the cost of the rooms. Three couples had identical reservations but one person's final bill was less than the other two. My final invoice did not show the per room charge but only the total being charged to my credit card. The other two had a per night breakdown. All three of us had AAA cards which we showed on arrival. We did not question the differences in the amount before leaving the hotel. I think the difference in total charge was about $30.

It's a new hotel, so you just need to be a bit patient with some of the glitches. I would definitely stay here again. I do recommend taking yoru confirmation with you. If it were not for the "glitches" I would have given The Oaks five stars.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Philip T, Manager at The Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you for providing such an informative and invaluable review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay albeit some glitches.

I am sorry we had neglected to leave instructions on using the multifunction clock radio. We are in the process of completing the guest guide and will be sure to include a section on using the electronics and appliances in the room.

Once again, we apologize for the glitches with the key card and billing discrepancy. We hope the next time you visit, some of your suggestions would have been implemented. Thank you for your understanding and your well thought out feedbacks.
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were on a wine tasting weekend in the Paso Robles area and the Oaks Hotel was a convenient stop after a day in the vacinity. Business traveler atmosphere with all the usual amenities. Very good complimentary breakfast. Comfortable but expensive for the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business