“Exceptional Birthday”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Texas
“Exceptional Birthday”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Spent my 50th Birthday at this Hotel. This is our second visit. This is the place to stay if you are visiting Paso Robles. This Hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to all restaurants we dined in, which were all excellent. The staff at Hotel Cheval is also very welcoming. The outdoor fireplaces and our guestroom were also impressive. Everynight after dinner we would sit around one of the fireplaces and Nam would make us s'mores. Great time!! Already planning our next trip back next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TexasGloworm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Newport Beach
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here in early October for 1 night as part of a road trip up the coast. We needed a little getaway and I wasn't sure of where to stop along the way to Big Sur but after reading the TripAdvisor reviews for Hotel Cheval, I knew I wanted to make it part of our trip! The property is just utterly cute and charming. We stayed in a second floor room with high ceilings and a wonderful fireplace. Although we were only here for one night, we had heavy bags because we were continuing on for a week and the staff was very helpful in bringing them up and down to our room. I mentioned in our booking that this was part of an anniversary celebration and there was champagne waiting for us in the room upon arrival! There are lots of great little nooks around the courtyard to enjoy a glass of wine or sit by the fire. The bar was fun & lively during happy hour and turned into a great spread for the complimentary breakfast in the morning. Great location, only a few short blocks to the center of town. Will definitely be back if we find ourselves up in Paso Robles again!

Room Tip: I followed other travelers advice to choose a second floor room and I was happy I did. The stairs w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Everything was perfect! Beautiful rooms, walking to fabulous restaurants, beautiful hotel and the custom-made s'mores by the fire at night with homemade marshmallows...are you kidding me??
The staff were just great, the lemon bars are outstanding and the guy who makes the s'mores was fantastic!
The hotel is an equestrian theme and very gorgeous, but not overdone...just perfect. This is one of our top 3 favorite hotels and definitely nothing to compare nearby!

Room Tip: There are only about 15 rooms here and not one of them is bad! If the hotel is busy, maybe not the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SanDiegoJJo
Oliver, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

From the moment we arrived to John's very warm welcome, to the great breakfasts, the afternoon cookies in the lobby lounge, the outdoor fireplaces and a gorgeous guest room, we were impressed! The hotel is small, charming and a wonderful place to be. The rooms are tastefully decorated with large comfy king beds. Even the "do not disturb" sign is unique; it's a horsehair hanger! Hotel Cheval is expensive but it's worth every penny. Also, the town of Paso Robles is a quaint little town with great boutiques and the 2 days we were there, weren't enough. We shall return!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jillian07
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here as part of a celebration of my husbands birthday. This hotel is beautifully appointed. The staff was considerate and friendly. A fridge doesn't come with the room, but they brought us one. The included breakfast is over the top for a hotel continental breakfast. They had smoked salmon, hard cooked eggs, fresh berries, European style yogurt, local baked goods, cream cheese, etc, etc, etc. They have a nightly happy hour with $7.00 wines from local wineries. The placed was decked out with beautiful seasonal decor and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. We were in Kingston and had a private patio. Its pricey, but worth it for a special celebration.

Room Tip: There is no elevator and it is a two story property. We stayed in Kingston on the second floor in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I drove down the Pacific Coast Highway and spent two nights at the Hotel Cheval. What a great hotel! We had a beautiful room with a large balcony. Since it is a downtown hotel the opportunity for a view is limited, but the space is great. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in, lots of support but soft.

Unfortunately the room did not have a refrigerator. I asked about the lack of a fridge and was told one could be delivered, but it was not placed in the room. No worries, the town is so delightful it was hard to enjoy the room. The room also does not have a room safe, as a business traveler I am used to being able secure everything, but it was all fine.

We did a wine tour with the sommelier, Jessica. It was fabulous. She took us to great wineries and added commentary about the grapes, area, tastings, etc. it was worth every penny. We have done private tours in Napa, Sonoma, and Santa Cruz. This was the best!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerT796
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I wish that I could take Hotel Cheval with me everywhere my husband and I travel. The room was spacious, the bed was so comfortable and the grounds were just beautiful. I only missed a swimming pool. It would have been nice to relax by the pool on a hot, sunny afternoon. I highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple