“Pricey but Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Westlake Village, California
“Pricey but Excellent”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very quaint and charming. Great location being able to walk to restaurants in town. The room was comfortable and clean. Hard to add to what other comments have been made about Cheval. We were in the Starling room, upstairs in the back. Pretty good location (except for the fact a wedding party was staying at the hotel and returned to their rooms at 3am after the reception....not the hotels fault for the noise though)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cheval1021, Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We are currently upgrading certain soft furnishings in our rooms and appreciate your comment that you found your room clean and comfortable. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Fresno, California, USA
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a fireplace hot tub suite. It was fantastic! The beds were cozy, the bar service nice, and breakfast was delicious. Some lounge music would have been nice to wind down to after a long day of wine tasting.

• Stayed January 2014
Cheval1021, General Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, 21 November 2014
Thank you so much for the kind review. I am delighted that you enjoyed The Pony Club. Please come back and see us next time you are visiting Paso Robles.
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

A recent wine tour to Paso Robles brought us to the incomparable Hotel Cheval. A small boutique -type hotel in the center of Paso, this hotel has everything anyone could want in a hotel. The theme throughout is equestrian, and the horse theme lent itself to the setting perfectly. We had an upstairs room with a fireplace, delightful bed and bedding, huge bath, and the most luxurious towels I have used in a long time. I was surprised at how quiet it was in our room since we were on a main road, and there is a busy courtyard downstairs. Our group of 12 stayed here together, and we all enjoyed the wonderful breakfast served- to- order before we set out for a day of wine tasting. Upon returning at the end of a wonderful day, we all sat out by the numerous fire pits and shared our day with each other while enjoying freshly made s'mores! Unfortunately, our stay ended to soon, but plans to return are in the making already! I just kept thinking," this feels like a Four Seasons or Ritz, only more charming and quaint."

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
hotelcheval1021, Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind and positive review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It is certainly a wonderful compliment to be compared to The Four Seasons hotel. I see that you are already planning your next trip to Hotel Cheval, we look forward to welcoming your group back again soon.
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 21 January 2014

You will not be sorry if you select Hotel Cheval with the expectation of superior service and accommodations. This special boutique hotel brings exception in every way with two team members that go above and beyond, Rob and Nam. They immediately made my wife and I feel welcome along with our Jack Russell, Holly. We were pampered with Gourmet S'mores compliments of Nam as well as Dog Biscuits and special arrangements from Rob. There were a variety of private conversation areas complete with their own fireplaces for our enjoyment. What a great place to return after a full day in the Paso Robles countryside.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelcheval1021, Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. Rob and Nam are indeed very special employees; they take great pride in going above and beyond for our guests.
Our canine guests are equally important to us and we hope that Holly's stay was just as enjoyable as yours!
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After a spontaneous first cross country flight to Paso Robles in my recently completed RV-8 airplane, I was in the best of moods. I had a place to stay but really had my heart set to stay at Hotel Cheval but at the time of booking, no rooms were available. We stopped by to see if by chance there was a cancelation. We were greeted kindly and were informed about the property by two very proud and enthusiastic staff. Much to our chagrin, no rooms had become available. We were invited to enter the property and explore the grounds. They were very nice. Afterward, we visited their wine bar and had a nice bottle of wine. After our wine we decided to sit by their fire pit to warm up before we set out to explore the town. We met a nice family and joined them as they shared family photos. One of the staff members who invited us to explore the grounds came by to offer homemade S’mores. I tried to say hello but he shunned my attempt and asked the father of the family if these were his guests, pointing to myself and my friend. He said yes. Nevertheless, it did not stop this staff member from berating us for a good 2 minutes in front of our new friends on how the fire pit was for guests only, and the only reason he was allowing us to stay was because the gentleman who said we were his guests has stayed there numerous time. It was a truly embarrassing and humiliating experience; so much for his invitation to explore the grounds. It ruined my entire trip. I will never be staying at Hotel Cheval. I hear Santa Ynez has a nice little airport…

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Alex L
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our customers. I was disappointed to hear of your unbalanced experience whilst touring our hotel.
Providing our guests with excellent customer service is something that we pride ourselves on and I am sorry that your experience did not meet these standards. However, this issue has been addressed and I would hope that you would choose to stay with us in the future. Please contact me directly if I can arrange a stay at the hotel.
Jayne Christman, Director of Guest Services
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 December 2013

As we chose not to stay here, we can't be totally objective, late on a Sunday afternoon we pulled into Paso Robles, and on the strength of many Trip Advisor reviews we went to Hotel Cheval to check it out. We asked to see the rooms prior to booking. The first room was the size of a nice walk in closet, and hopeless dark for $300. We asked to see something else, and the guy showing us around took us to a slightly larger room, with high ceilings for $349.00, no extra charge for the moldy smell in the room. He reminded us we were getting a bargain in that it was off season and late in the day. What he didn't know is that we had checked the pricing on their website prior to stopping by, identical. Really, did we look that clueless? We thanked him for his time and found a much nicer place a few minutes out of town. Unless you have to stay in Paso Robles main square area, I'd think twice about wasting $'s at Hotel Cheval.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank BigLooper51
Cheval1021, General Manager at Hotel Cheval, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for the lovely review. I see that you stayed with us in October, 2013. Perhaps you have already returned for another visit. If not, please come back and see us again soon!
Texas
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Spent my 50th Birthday at this Hotel. This is our second visit. This is the place to stay if you are visiting Paso Robles. This Hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to all restaurants we dined in, which were all excellent. The staff at Hotel Cheval is also very welcoming. The outdoor fireplaces and our guestroom were also impressive. Everynight after dinner we would sit around one of the fireplaces and Nam would make us s'mores. Great time!! Already planning our next trip back next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple