“Great Value. Great Stay. Reviews are on point.”

Best Western Plus Black Oak
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orange County, California
“Great Value. Great Stay. Reviews are on point.”
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed at the Black Oak for a single Saturday night during a quick wine tasting trip to Paso. We booked late in the week and the city was nearly full, so we did not know what to expect from this hotel. Simply put, the other reviews on TA are right on the money -- this is a clean, well kept, well-located property that is a great option when staying in Paso.

The staff upon check-in were friendly and accomodating. We mentioned we were in town for the wine and were given a number of tasting coupons from some of the better local wineries. Only one came in handy, but it saved us a $20 tasting fee, which we appreciated.

The room was a basic Best Western room. Moderate in size, no frills, but no complaints either. Living quarters and the bathroom were very clean and modern. Room had a big Samsung plazma TV and cold AC. No noise issues and we slept well.

The staff at checkout was again very friendly. The bill was as expected with no surprises. This was a good stay with good value (we paid about $125 for a weekend, high-season stay.) I would stay here again without hesitation. It is a great spot to see Paso, hit the wineries or if you are just passing down the 101.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This hotel far exceeded my expectations for a value priced hotel. The rooms are very clean and spacious, and the service has been excellent. My husband & I love the Paso Robles 'wine country' and will visit and stay here again. (FYI: our favorite winery to visit is Tobin James for their complimentary tasting and gracious hospitality, to their wonderful Zinfandels and beautiful logo gifts.)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We decided to go to Paso Robles for the weekend at the last minute over the 4th of July weekend. The "Black Oak" had rooms available at a good price, so we decided to forego our usual choice of a charming B&B, or boutique hotel for the big name Best Western. We couldn't be more pleased with the result. Our room was HUGE, with a king size bed, large sitting room area, desk (which we used as a dining table), reclining chair, and large bathroom area with two sinks and a jacuzzi tub. We utilized the pool/spa area and will use the lovely BBQ/picnic area next time. Close enough to ride bikes into town, and conviniently located close to the 101/46. $5 off coupons are available for breakfast at Margie's next door... a greasy dive, but quick and easy. Will stay again and would recommend to friends!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I have been traveling to Paso Robles for wine fun for several years now, and after staying at several places, this is my preferred place to stay. It's not perfect, but here are my experiences:

Pros: Can't beat the location. It's very convenient since it's located near the 101 and 46. The rooms are clean. They have wireless Internet. Parking is convenient, and it's generally quiet. It's the best value for the quality ... generally I wouldn't expect this quality at this price. La Quinta is more expensive.

Cons: At our last stay we were located under the stairwell during a kids' soccer tournament. 'Nuff said. The front desk can be kind of, well, *leisurely* in their customer service. That being said, I still haven't had a bad experience with them.

All in all, a great place to stay for a reasonable price. Located close enough to downtown, very close to freeways, and with restaurants within walking distance, it's hard to beat. I have had no reason (other than room availability) to book elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VegasWineaux
California
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I have stayed at both the La Quinta and this hotel, and actually prefer the Best Western though some co-workers prefer the La Quinta. Rooms are slightly dated, and not quite as nice as the La Quinta. But the sound insulation seems better, and I actually like the exterior hallways. Also it is a (long) walk from downtown Paso, so you can drink and walk back if you feel like it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
San Jose
Reviewed 12 October 2008

There were too front office people but after helping one couple the young man ignored me and left me to wait until the young woman checked me in. The room had two beds and I normally book one. I was told that the Best Western site was notorious for making mistakes, and even if I had a confirmation for one bed they weren't going to honor it.
There was a horrible smell in the room (musty and sour) and when I complained I was told to keep my windows and doors open. The young lady eventually came up to "smell" the room. Her comment was that she couldn't smell a thing and then said that the room just smelled stale and to keep the door open. This was after the door had been open for 15 minutes as well as the ceiling fan. She left and then yelled back that I was paying for the room whether I liked it or not.
Terrible customer service. I would not recommend this place at all which is a shame as I am a Best Western Crown Club Diamond member.

• Liked — It was in Paso Robles
  • Disliked — The room smelled and the facility lacked quality customer service.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank NucGolfer
Pleasanton California
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We recently stayed at the Black Oak and was pleasantly surprised. The room appeared to be recently updated. It was very clean and nicely appointed. I don't mind rooms looking dated as long as they are CLEAN. The architecture of the motor lodge is older but very well kept, with the entrance to the rooms by outside corridors, definitely a motor lodge. Although the hotel was fully booked, we were not disturbed by hearing other guests in nearby rooms or noise from the outside corridors (even with the window open). Ample parking despite being full. There are restaurants and a Starbucks within easy walking distance. We will definitely stay here again. The price, comfort of the room and service is hard to beat!

• Liked — The cleaniness
  • Disliked — Not in the center of downtown
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family