“Lovely Inn”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
California
“Lovely Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

The property is so lovely with it's blooming gardens and serene pool area and its old Spanish architecture. The rooms are nice but small. But the ambling grounds make up for it. Very pretty place. If you have a hankering for a late night snack or meal you'll find that nothing is open. Seems like town shuts down very early --at least in the area near the Inn.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room which had a view of the pool. Our friends had the downstairs and because the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Thank you for choosing the Historic Paso Robles Inn for your stay.

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy our Historic Inn and experience the downtown of Paso Robles. We do take a lot of pride in maintaining the charm and charter of the Inn and I’m so happy to hear you had an enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our guest again real soon.

Erica Renkert General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stopped here en route south to LA. The Inn is right in the center of town which is great if you want to visit some of the winery tasting rooms in walking distance. The room here was nothing special and not great value for money. Had drink/snack in the Cattlemen's Lounge and the balcony is very pleasant in the early evening.

Breakfast was substantial and decent value. Overall fine if you need to be in the center of the town but otherwise very underwhelming.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for choosing the Historic Paso Robles Inn for your stay. I would like to thank you for your feedback; we use all feedback as a tool to improve.

We take a lot of pride in maintaining the historic charm and charter of the Inn. Currently the exterior and interior of our property is under going an extensive refurbishment. The rooms will be refreshed with new paint, carpet, windows, bathroom fixtures and bedding; we are excited for the refurbishment and can’t wait to share the improvements with our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed your experience in the Cattleman’s Lounge, it is a great place to get a great drink and meal.

Again, thank you for taking to time to leave feedback, we hope to see you again real soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Paso Robles Inn was very cute. The room was a bit small, but that didn't matter since we were in town for wine tasting - didnt spend much time in the room. The room was clean. The courtyard was beautiful, and the koi were fun to watch - they were so big! The pool was refreshing and the hot tub relaxing. We also went to the happy hour at the bar and had dinner at the restaurant. Dinner was lovely, very tasty. And upstairs at the bar they had live music Friday night. The atmosphere was really neat up there! If I go back to Paso, I would definitely consider staying here again. The only drawback to this place was the noise. Each room's door opens up to the outside towards the courtyard, so I could hear anyone carrying on a conversation or just walking past.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your time at the Historic Paso Robles Inn and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

It is nice to hear we were able to provide you with such a positive experience during your stay. I’m also glad to see you were able to enjoy all the tasty food and drinks we have to offer.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to seeing you again real soon.

San Fran
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Wanted to have lunch - went to their steakhouse. Person working there said "we're closed". Went upstairs for restroom - noticed Cattlemen's Lounge which had steakhouse menus on the bar. First Fail - couldn't bother referring us to their lounge upstairs for a meal.

Then asked server if they served meals from the steakhouse menu here; her response - "I'm making drinks right now, wait till I'm finished". Ten minutes later, when my party is resdy, she asks what we want to drink - still doesn't answer my question. She isn't able to answer a simple yes/no question. Second Fail.

She seems to have formed an "attitude" by now, for no reason I can fathom. Perhaps because I foolishly asked if I could get something to eat. Then I place my order and watch her walk around, taking orders from multiple other tables and mixing drinks. It feels like another 10+ minutes before the order is even placed. Third and final Fail.

At this point I would have been happy to leave if I could only have cancelled my order. The lack of hospitality and even common sense is ridiculous. Now some may say Paso is a small town, but they're a major wine destination and this hotel charged serious prices. Bottom line - service failure - I won't be back and woun't eat here again if it was free.

Stayed September 2012
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with you feedback. The restaurant staff member should have been far more informative and directed you to the Cattleman’s Lounge. This was handled completely incorrect and I can assure you , it will be reviewed with all staff.

The service you received in the lounge is totally unacceptable and strays in the direct opposite direction of our commitment to our guests. I am both embarrassed for your experience and apologetic. Please accept my sincere apology.

We use all feedback as an opportunity to train our staff, but in this case I would sincerely appreciate more information so that I may direct this individual separately. Please feel free to contact me at kevinh@martinresorts.com or reach me at the Paso Robles Inn at 802-226-4920.

I would also love to extend an invitation to you and a guest to try us again, on us of course. If you find yourself in this area please contact me directly and be my guest.

Again, thank you for the feedback and I am sincerely sorry.

Kevin Hyland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

This hotel is insanely overpriced. We paid extra to have a hot tub and fireplace. The fireplace would not turn on. The room was musty and damp. The bathrooms- out dated. And the entire place smelled so pungently of sulphur that it was almost impossible to bear. The hot tub was filthy and the smell of sulphur on your skin- even after showering- was repulsive. This is NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Missbreakfast
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
I would like to apologize that you did not find your stay enjoyable. It is our goal that every guest's experience exceeds their expectations and I’m sorry we failed.

I agree that is unacceptable your fireplace would not turn on. It is our practice to keep all rooms in working order. Although uncommon, sometimes there are maintenance items that need repair during a guests stay. This is one of many reasons the front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, so any needs of our guest’s can be meet.

Our Historic Inn requires a lot of care and upkeep and we work hard to maintain the grounds and rooms. Our natural hot springs is sulfur and there is a high mineral content that can be seen even after the water has drained. Currently we are working on updating our spa tubs and rooms with a more modern look and feel. As you can imagine this is a very large project and we are hoping to have it completed by next year. Along with updating our spa tubs we are also in the process of updating the interior and exterior of the property while maintaining the historic charm and character.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me, it is through your feedback we can improve. I would like to invite you back so we can provide you with a positive memorable stay; one that reflects our usual standards. Please contact me personally so that I can ensure your stay meets your expectations.

Again thank you for taking the time to tell me about your recent stay.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I found this hotel through Trip Advisor. The property is beautiful. Alex at the front desk was so helpful with restaurants and wineries to visit. We got to the hotel about noon and our room was ready earlier than normal at 1 p.m. We ate at Panolivo near by and it was wonderful. Alex also gave us a booklet with great maps. For dinner we went to Estrella Latin Cuisine and though the food was good, the waitress was a little spacey, there was dirt in my wine glass and though the owner stopped by and was a very nice man, he was wearing a frayed shirt. Thank goodness when the loud party of 4 left. Back to the room, Room 303 was very cute but had an old a/c unit high on the wall which streamed water onto the nightstand. Thank goodness it was nice weather and we really didn't need it. We only planned to stay the one night so I didn't report the problem until check out. Also Alex mentioned DAOU vineyard had the best view. That is so true but the worst wine we have tasted. Go for the view. J. Lohr is a much better winery, 6 tastes for free and we even brought 2 bottles of wine and a t-shirt. Ladies if you buy there go at least one size bigger. I wished we could have stayed in Paso Robles longer, it is a very quaint town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaJ60750
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We take pride in maintaining the historic charm and charter of the Inn and I'm so happy that you were able to experience and enjoy what we have to offer. Thank you for letting us know about the air conditioner, this has been addressed.

Again, thank you for taking to time to leave feedback. I look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We booked our room in advance, reserving a room with two beds, as we knew we would be traveling with our kids. When we got here we were given a room with one bed and told there was nothing that could be done because the place was completely booked. I guess the kids can sleep on the floor, right? We'll just make them as comfy as possible with blankets and pillows. Oh wait, when we returned to our room for the night at about 10:15pm, we noticed that there was only one extra blanket. No problem, a call to the front desk can fix this in a jiffy, I thought. WRONG. Apparently the housekeeping staff gets off at 10pm. Wait, what? Are you serious? Yep. Not only that but my good man at the front desk didn't know of any way to get a blanket. OK. This is getting ridiculous. Let me just speak with the manager. Certainly he or she can access the locked vault that keeps the blankets secure from those who dare to ask for one at such an ungodly hour, right? Well, maybe, but I may never know since there is no manager on the night shift either. You think I'm joking, don't you? I couldn't be more serious. The manager must get off at 10pm, too and go out drinking with the housekeeping staff. I can practically hear them laughing about all the poor saps like me and my family.

Needless to say, but we won't be staying here again. Seriously, Motel 6 can do better than this! I don't think being able to get a blanket is too much to ask when your spending $180 a night for a room that anywhere east of the Pacific Coast wouldn't cost more than $100.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that the parking lot on the north side of the hotel absolutely wreaks of rotten eggs.

Enjoy your stay, Sucker!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joel L
PasoRoblesInn, General Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
I want to personally apologize for the experience you had during your stay. It is our goal that every guest's experience exceeds their expectations and it appears that we failed our mission to make your stay relaxing and peaceful.

There is simply no good excuse for not getting the room type you originally booked or additional blankets. Even though our housekeeping employees are not on property after 10:00pm, our policy is to provide items like additional blankets. I am extremely sorry this did not happened and it is unacceptable. I can assure you that I have discussed and reviewed our expectations and processes with our Front Desk staff.

I apologize you found the sulfur order to be so unpleasant at the North end of our property. We do offer 36 deluxe spa rooms with the natural sulfer water. The sulfur odor is caused by sulfur dioxide gas that escapes into the air. At times the smell can be strong and be smelled through-out our property. The natural sulfur hot spring has been drawing visitors here for many years and the benefits include lowering blood pressure, helping to relieve arthritis pain and detoxifying the body.

Although I can not reverse the past, when we make an mistake we do everything we can to make it right. As discussed this morning you will not being seeing any charges; please accept this as our sincere apology. I would like to invite you back so we can provide you with a positive and memorable stay; one that reflects our usual standards. Please contact me personally so that I can ensure your stay meets your expectations.

Again thank you for taking the time to tell me about your recent stay.

Erica Renkert