“TOUGH HOTEL TO RATE”
Review of Paso Robles Inn

Paso Robles Inn
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Paso Robles
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is a historic landmark and thus requires a certain degree of latitude in writing a review. The right room is a 5, the wrong one is a 2. The hotel was built in stages beginning in the 1800s. Before cars, before electricity and perhaps before indoor plumbing. The property is a deep, heavily landscaped site located across the street from a large city park. There are 9 buildings with beautiful grounds and a hot spring. The frontage street is busy enough on a weekday morning to be bothersome if you pick a room near the Spring Street. However, there are limited doubles all of which are located closer to the street. The the quieter rooms at the back of the site are queens. We traveled as a couple with a teenage daughter. The hotel management had sense enough to put full sized beds in the doubles instead of queens which gave the smallish room a sense of space. The bathroom were a pleasant surprise - roomy with double sinks and a deep soaking tub. We were initially booked in the Jesse James (closest to street), but had to change rooms due to sulfur fumes. The replacement room was further from the street, but bothered by the early morning traffic.

Great places to eat, sample wine and shop are located around the park and easy walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Two things to be aware of before selecting a room: traffic noise along Spring Street and the sulfur...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Surfdog15
PasoRoblesInn, Front Office Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at our hotel. We are a historic property, and through the times our owners have done their best to build and update the property with a sense of cohesiveness that holds true to the spirit and charm of the original buildings. The newest rooms on our property are the deluxe rooms and feature a private spa and more spacious accommodations. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the spacious bathrooms that we have available for the majority of our traditional rooms which feature the double sinks and the deep soaking bathtub to give our guests some additional space in rooms that are historic and cozy. I am sorry that any noise from the street bothered you. Our Jesse James building is the closest building we have to the town and the street, but most of our buildings are located to behind the lobby to minimize the noise from our down town area as much as possible. I am glad to hear that you did enjoy being walking distance to the town and many of the different tasting rooms and restaurants! I hope that you did overall enjoy your stay and we hope to see you again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights recently and enjoyed our visit very much. The hotel is full of history which we both found interesting and is located directly across from the town square which is lined with restaurants, shops and wine tasting - very convenient! We opted for one of the Jesse James suites which included your own patio mineral spring hot tub. The front desk warned us that the sulpher smell in the water was natural and would be abated by the bath gels placed by the tub. They were right on both counts - the smell is a bit overwhelming on the outset, but is helped by the bath gels. It's an extremely relaxing way to end a nice Paso day. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well-maintained as is the small pool area. We had breakfast each day at the old-fashioned coffee shop and it was delicious. The lounge area is fun with live music on the weekend and cocktails based on some of the hotel's fabulous history. We didn't eat at the main restaurant, but it always seemed well visited. Would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Jesse James suites have private mineral spring hot tubs on the patios.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phalex12

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay with us! I am so pleased to hear that the Jesse James Suite was a perfect room for you and that you did enjoy your own private mineral hot spring! Our hotel is located in the center of the downtown area and our front desk loves being able to provide our guests with directions to places that are within walking distance so that you do not need to drive once you check in with us. Our steakhouse serves an absolutely delicious breakfast, and our Cattlemen’s Lounge is pleased to offer drinks such as Helen’s Ghost and Marilyn’s Kiss which provide our guests with a bit of history served in a new light. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great location in town and decent rooms BUT... We stayed in room 201, just across from the front office, and had to put up with constant noise from cars going across a wooden bridge just outside our window - sounded like someone skateboarding. There was also a helluva lot of noise from 11pm until at least 1am from guests either at the pool or in hot tubs. I rang the front desk to complain, but the noise didn't stop. I did get $30 off our bill but we still paid $200 for very little sleep. Sorry, I won't be back...

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. Our hotel is located in a prime location in the center of downtown Paso Robles, but one of the unique features of our hotel is that a majority of our rooms center around our main gardens which offer our guests a downtown location with a minimal amount of noise. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in your room and that the additional noise you experienced was not stopped immediately. We do have a pleasant stay policy to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay with us and that all of our guests respect our quiet hours. I do appreciate that you informed me about your stay so that I can correct these problems with my staff and ensure that they do not happen again.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I absolutely love the Paso Robles Inn. I can't wait to return and am already making plans. The amenities and grounds are beautiful. The Front Desk service was great as well. I only wish my stay had been longer. :)

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay with us! I am so glad that you enjoyed your experience at our beautiful historic inn and that our front desk associates were able to make it even that much better for you. Thank you for your comment and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were only here one night, which was a bummer! This hotel is lovely, and I'm really surprised by the mixed reviews. Our room was a decent size (plenty big for 2 people). It came with a mini fridge, balcony with 2 chairs and bistro table, and the room had a large bathroom with double sink vanity and a deep soaker tub. The room was very clean and well appointed. There was a book on the history of the town which I enjoyed flipping through. This was a very cozy room, perfect for the romantic night we were looking for. Oh and the location is great! This is not a town with a ton going on (at night, at least) but was wonderful to walk around. We went to Robert's Restaurant - check out my review on that too (amazing place!). We would DEFINITELY come back here. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaykat4533

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us! I am so pleased to hear that our hotel was exactly what you were looking for in a romantic night away. Our hotel is walking distance to many locations in the downtown area and I am pleased to hear that you were able to walk around and enjoy what our town has to offer! Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I recently stayed at Paso Robles Inn, the place is beautiful, super clean and safe,( very important for me as I'm a senior female solo traveller. The staff was absolutely wonderful, in particular Josslyn, who took the time to find new accommodation for my next destination in Los Angeles, since it had been cancelled rather suddenly and I had no place to stay in L.A, Josslyn went out of way to help me out and was very reassuring. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this quaint little town , a very pleasant stay indeed,Thanks again

Room Tip: My corner room was large and comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 65Yolanda
PasoRoblesInn, Front Office Manager at Paso Robles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be clean, comfortable, and above all SAFE! We do have staff on our property at all times and a security guard every night. I am very pleased to hear about how well Josselynn treated you and that she was able to help you so well! It is very reassuring to hear when my front desk staff goes above and beyond to help our guests, and I am so glad that she made your stay that much more accommodating. Thank you for your kind comments, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Check-in was friendly and they allowed us to change from upstairs in the front to a downstairs in the back by the pool. It was a perfect location. Our room was very quiet and peaceful. The pool was very crowded as it was in the high 90's. There were only two umbrellas around the pool, so it was hard to find shade. They said the other umbrellas were broken and had not been replaced yet. There were three girls with a baby drinking beer and snacking at one of the tables with one of the only two umbrellas. Eventually they wheeled out the baby in the playpen, but left all their trash and some other things that made it look like they were coming back. After about an hour we saw the housekeeping manager Christina and told her of the situation. Within five minutes the trash was cleaned up, their belonging put to the side, and the area swept. Sometimes you have a problem at a hotel, but how the staff addresses the problem is what's important to us. The other problem we had was the air conditioner. It was so hot that we had to run it from the time we got there. We think it might have been too much for it. During the night and early morning it didn't seem to be cooling very well and it became noisy. We never complained to management about it, so we didn't let that affect our scores other than giving 4's for Condition of Hotel and Comfort of Your Room. We didn't let any of the negatives affect one of the most relaxing stays we have had at a hotel in a long time. We want to go back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back by the pool are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear about your encounter with our housekeeping manager Christina! She is one of our best and is the backbone that keeps our property running smoothly. Any guest problem that involves her department is handled immediately and effectively, so I am glad that you brought the trash to her attention. Since your stay we have received our new shipment of umbrellas so the pool has ample shade once again. I do apologize that the air conditioner wasn’t as effective as you needed it to be, and I have given your comments to our maintenance department so that they can evaluate the air conditioner in your room. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed such a relaxing stay at our hotel and that you will be joining us again soon! We look forward to seeing you again!