“a go to place”
Review of Lazy H Ranch

Lazy H Ranch
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Built in the 1920's, this ranch style restaurant and motel is located along Highway 76 in the back county of San Diego. Formerly a sleepy stretch of road, Highway 76 now connects 4 major casino resorts: Valley View, Harrah's Rincon, Casino Pauma, and Pala. Most visitors drive right by the Lazy H, those who do stop in are treated to a step back in time. The dining room is right out of the 50s, the menu is varied and wholesome. Weekends are busiest, when locals come out to dine.
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We go to Lazy H all the time. The best 'broasted chicken' anywhere. Old world ambience at a place that was once a destination for Hollywood types. Small, clean, old-world motel and restaurant with dozens of hummingbirds feeding just outside the windows of the bar. We miss our favorite waitress - Marilyn - but the food is as good as it always is.

1  Thank KACVC

Reviewed 16 May 2012

The Lazy H Ranch takes amazing care of their grounds. Everywhere you look you see beautiful lush landscaping and amazing views of Pauma Valley. The food at the restaurant is amazing, I have had nearly everything on the menu and have never been disappointed. If you stop by during the weekend I recommend the prime rib, it's awesome. The staff is laid back, friendly and very helpful. The rooms are adorable and comfortable. I also had my wedding at the Lazy H Ranch and would highly recommend it to others. Definitely worth the trip and close to 3 casinos.

1  Thank cjoyhall
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My hubby and I took a local 2 day road trip. First stop, the Lazy H Ranch out by the big casinos. I found this little motel-restaurant years ago with friends. The restaurant cocktail lounge is a step back in time. The little bar has what used to be a live tree growing up through the ceiling. There are large windows looking out onto the beautiful lawn, trees and pond. Right outside the windows are hummingbird feeders with hummers like gnats! These little guys kept us entertained all through our meal! They have a half dozen feeders that are so loaded with hummingbirds, that they have to refill them daily. For lunch I had the shrimp cocktail and hubby had sandwich and fries. He goes just for the fries. We were staying the night, so after a drive around the valley, we came back for dinner. I tried the baby clams in butter sauce I had read about. Better than described. Nice little wine selection. The locals eat there and were fun to chat with. The dining room could use some updating. The food is wonderful but the decor is looking old, and not in a charming way. I would give the restaurant a "very good" but the motel should drag the rating down to "poor". I can't find the motel part on tripadvisor, but this is where the fun ended. The room was beyond filthy. There is no quality control what so ever. They rely on the weekend casino crowds desperate for a place to stay, so no incentive to make an inviting (or clean) room. This made me sad. The motel deserves better. The grounds are so beautiful that it could be a destination getaway. But until the rooms are fixed and cleaned up, only go for the restaurant.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was my husband and my favorite place. I have been eating here for the past 20 years and have always had great food and lovely service. It's a little way off the beaten track but well worth the trip.

1  Thank Mise48
Reviewed 12 April 2012

A small place tucked away on a hot country road but surrounded by shady trees, it may be hard to find parking on some nights. Old building with non-descript decor but beautiful surroundings; not pages and pages of menu but all items very good to excellent and range from soups, salads & sandwiches for lunch, to steaks and pasta with shrimp for dinner. Pleasant & attentive waitresses seem to have been there a while. Not the type of place to eat & run--its slowed-down country feel is conducive to relaxing and pleasant chit-chat with your dining companions as time ticks by, but somehow at Lazy H, you don't care.

3  Thank itropicbird