“Wonderful, relaxing stay... beautiful scenery.”

The Inn at Spanish Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Pebble Beach
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I took my husband to Pebble Beach as a 10th wedding anniversary present. I'm very glad I chose to book us at the Inn vs. the Lodge. Although the Lodge is beautiful, the Inn has a quainter feel to it, and I thought it was a better choice for our trip. The rooms are very comfortable (we had a room with an ocean view overlooking the first hole), with a gas fireplace on a timer (what a smart idea - so nice to put the fireplace on before getting into bed and not worrying about turning it off), a small balcony with two chairs and a side table. The rooms were a good size, not huge but certainly spacious enough. The bathroom was well appointed. We did have an issue with the shower backing up a bit, however it was fixed within a couple of hours of me reporting it to the front desk. The bed was fantastically comfortable; both the mattress as well as the soft bedding. We both slept wonderfully (and we're not good sleepers generally). Overall, I wouldn't call the rooms luxurious, however they were very very comfortable and cozy. Granted it was not very busy when we were there, however I found the Inn to be very very quiet.

Service was very good; attentive and friendly. There is attention paid to the details. However, I had high expectations given the price, and honestly I can't say the service was $800 per night great. That being said, it was very very good. After checking into our room, we dropped our things and went for a walk. When we returned about an hour or so later, there was a bottle of champagne chilling and two glasses, and a hand written note from the manager congratulating us and welcoming us. A very nice touch. The concierge desk was very friendly and helpful with whatever needs you may have.

Everywhere we ate the food was outstanding, however I have to say that the best meal we had was probably at Peppoli's. Both food and service were memorable - I would definitely eat there again, and highly recommend it! We also ate at Stillwater in the Lodge. The view was amazing, the food excellent, however unlike Peppoli's, our waiter was not very engaging. If he had been, that would have really made it perfect and set it apart. The only reason I would chose Stillwater over Peppoli's would be for the view of the 18th green; that was something! Peppoli's has a beautiful view of the ocean and sunset (if not overcast like it was for us), so the view there would not disappoint.

It is easy to get around the larger PB property by way of shuttle buses. They run every half hour.

As for the golf, I am not a golfer; it is my husband who is. However, I rode along for his 3 rounds (PB, Spyglass and Spanish Bay), and being a golf widow I know enough to recognize and appreciate the beauty and diversity of the courses. The Pebble Beach course is challenging and majestic, Spyglass equaling challenging and beautiful, however I have to say that Spanish Bay was my favourite. It has beautiful rolling green hills and wide fairways, and most of the holes are on the ocean. This course was very obviously an easier course than the others; it didn't look particularly challenging, just highly enjoyable! Overall, the golf is worth the money, no question! As a side note; the new driving range at PB is quite outstanding, be sure to pay a visit!

Regarding the weather, and the lack of AC that many reviewers have commented on.... I suppose the lack of AC would be of concern if it got really hot, but it rarely gets really hot in Pebble Beach. It's right on the ocean, there's always a breeze, and the average temperatures in the summer are perhaps high 70's. Honestly, I don't think AC is needed.

I could go on and on. It was an amazing trip, I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. I hope to be fortunate enough to return one day - what an experience!

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy8181

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay. With its breath taking views of Monterey Bay, the resort exceeds one's expectations from the moment one sets foot on the property. The rooms with their comfortable beds and fireplaces are so nice. Service is world class.

Our most recent visit was to attend the events for Concourse d'Elegance there, and have some drinks, but again it was superb. The event center is very nice. The inn pays attention to detail and it shows.

There is an excellent golf course here, nice swimming pool,good restaurants and bars, bagpipe playing in the evening, a nice spa, and so much more.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel is breathtaking in location, beauty, charm, and on top of that surrounded by some of the most amazing scenary and golf courses in the world. But...when it's hot...it is VERY HOT. No AC in the rooms is laughable. For these rates, and the fact that they air condition the hallways and common areas...please, Spanish Bay, install AC! Even with everything that could be opened...being opened...the heat in the room was really unbearable. Plan your stay here around a cooler time of year...trust me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Location-- GREAT, Views-- SUPERB, Service-Excellent, so what keeps this from a 5* rating-- NO AIR CONDITIONING. Maybe they don't need it most months but I was in a fourth floor room and it was pretty warm,uncomfortable. In this day and age-- AC is a must in my opinion, especially at the prices they can charge. Next stay will be in a cooler time period. Other then that it is a great place to stay, the golf is world class and the views are among the best.

Room Tip: If you are staying here.Ocean View is the only way to go!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Randy N
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm not sure a hotel can truly get credit for the setting. But if it can, then the Inn at Spanish Bay would be unparalleled. The ocean and golf course provide a setting that you'll never forget. As soon as you walk in the lobby, there it all is before you. And the staff is very pleasant.

But once we arrived in our room (honeymoon suite at $1k plus/night) I expected more of the same. What I found was a nice suite that had not had a maintenance check. Black scuffs were all over the walls - dining room, bedroom, everywhere. The dining area had a 3 foot square where the plaster was coming apart. The carpet was tearing. Grout/caulking - dingy. All of these things were small. But at the rate I paid, that shouldn't be the case. Even their staff member was embarrassed to walk from area to area and see the clear lack of attention to detail. One of the days my daughter-n-law sent us chocolate dipped strawberries. They misspelled her name in a way that I wasn't sure who the gift came from and had to text her to see if it was from her. But enough of that.

The setting is spectacular. My husband loved playing a round at Pebble Beach. We received champagne on our arrival. Jed the concierge was the nicest, most gracious young man. Cavanaugh was equally lovely. The whole staff was kind and accommodating.

We had a great table at Stillwater overlooking the 18th hole. Request a table there. Eat breakfast in Monterey at First Awakenings. DELICIOUS gourmet pancakes and crepes. Clam chowder and veggie sandwich from the resort deli is reasonable and is very tasty. If you're traveling from SFO, stop in Half Moon Bay at the Flying Fish Bar and Grill and get the crabby cheese bread and fish tacos. I'm still thinking about it.

The fire pits outside are abundant and we stayed out there for hours enjoying the ocean and the golfers. It's perfect for couples. I wouldn't bring my kids, but a few did. Mostly a mature crowd.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The California coast just can't be beat and this is the perfect location for any of the courses and access to 17-mile drive.

Room Tip: Reserve 4-6 months in advance if you want an ocean view in the summer. But that's the view you w...
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We spent only 2 nights at Spanish Bay, but wish it could have been more. We celebrated my husbands birthday, along with my father in-law's 60th birthday.

We arrived very early to the hotel and were greeted with nothing but pleasant smiles and kindness. To our surprise the room was already available and ready for our check-in, which made for a much more relaxing transition after hours of flying.
The room was lovely, all the amenities you needed, including and electric fireplace that added a special touch of romanticism to our room. We only had a garden view, but only due to the fact that the hotel was completely sold out, but the room made up for the view.
None of the rooms have no air conditioning, and really don't need it as the high was only around 68 degrees. However, my husband gets hot easily so he might have preferred a little air, but only at night while sleeping.

The hotel and golf grounds were stunning! Just beautiful to walk the entire property and enjoy the golf course, hotel and beach all at the same time...

The food was great, however we only got a chance to eat at "Sticks" restaurant, due to we went and explored and ate in town or at the other resorts.

All the hotel staff were pleasant and always spoke when you would walk by and try to help with some kind gesture.

Overall this hotel was gorgeous with top notch service, I would stay here many times over!

1  Thank Gabrielle J
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Spent 3 night at Spanish Bay and the Inn was more than I could imagine. The service was second to none and the location was breathtaking. Finished each night with a drink around the outdoor fireplaces. It is not inexpensive but a once in a lifetime treat.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley
Monterey Bay Inn
Monterey Bay Inn
#5 of 56 in Monterey

Been to The Inn at Spanish Bay? Share your experiences!