“Close to Point Reyes Seashore but wish it was further from the freeway, ag fields.”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Petaluma
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Positives:
1) Close to Point Reyes National Seashore -- the drive was less than 30 minutes so we took day trips. It was lovely.
2) Great value -- hotels and inns closer to the Seashore cost 2 to 5 times more per night. Also, the room and bathroom were very clean.
3) Free WiFi
4) Pool was clean and very refreshing on the 90 degree days
5) Close to downtown Petaluma -- we went into Petaluma for coffee and meals. Very convenient. We enjoyed Playa Azul Marisco (great Mexican food), Cattlemen's (burgers, steaks), and Viva Cocolat (coffee, dessert). The Mystic Theatre is supposed to be fantastic for music but we did not get a chance to go.

Negatives:
1) Adjacent to Hwy 101 -- we could hear the traffic all day/night but got used to it by the second night.
2) Smells like agriculture -- the entire area around the hotel smelled like chicken farms or freshly fertilized fields. Not pleasant but again, the price was great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fremont
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I thought we were staying across the street at the Quality Inn. My husband booked this when I wasn't there. My advice is to stay at the Quality Inn across the street or somewhere closer to downtown.

The room was tiny--not like the pictures. One chair at the desk-like table next to the tv. Not enough room for one to sit in the chair and another to pass to the bathroom or litttle frig.
Closet was 12 inches wide. Room smelled strongly like some weird cleaner. Bed was uncomfortable; neither of us slept decently.

I really liked having the refrigerator and microwave. They even had a tiny tray of ice. Free breakfast in the lobby was corn flakes or Fruit Loops (and whole milk), French roast coffee, and a few flavors of the little wrapped Danishes as well as orange juice. ok. Nobody that worked there would even look at us, much less smile or say "hi".

we did have fun in Petaluma. When you go up to McDowell, go a few feet and turn right, you will wind up on Petaluma. The road at the intersection was Penngrove, which was listed wrong in some directions I had.

There is a casino very close, which we didn't visit, and an IHOP & /burger King pretty close. Noise wasn't bad. Little things like no hand lotion were sall minuses.

Divine Delights petits fors outlet is nearby, off Mc Dowell. Turn right after Koh's center on right, see windmill sign towards freeway, go left. Open till 4 on weekdays.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuvCA

Travellers are raving about these Petaluma hotels

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I selected Americas Best Value Inn & Suites in Petaluma for a one-night stay after reading the reviews. It sounded like a good value for the money. Unfortunately, I was very mistaken.

The room was tiny and the price was high, just $20 dollars less than I paid the night before at the Hilton in So. San Francisco. The carpet was dirty with stains almost everywhere. The walls and fixtures were dirty, even the hair dryer had dirt on it. The blanket on my bed had burn holes in it.

The office staff was friendly if you could understand them, and a strong cooking smell of
curry overwhelmed the office, even wafting out a window when I walked by to get ice. I went out for dinner and, upon my return, found a large family having a loud argument in front of my room. That continued intermittently for a couple hours.

I would have been much better off staying at one of the other nearby motels. They had to be better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This hotel is located at the end of a side street, somewhat hard to find, and faces a casino and next to a highway. So if you stay here, expect noise. Other than that. while rooms are clean and well appointed (with fridge and microwave and free internet), they are quite small. Breakfast is practically non-existent. And soap/shampoo are of the low end qualities. If you can get a good rate, this might be a good deal and enough reason to overlook these issues. But I thought what I paid was a little more than what this hotel offered. So, I would hesistate to stay here again, mostly because of the price I paid for the level of quality I expected from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Oakdale
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Beside having to change rooms as soon as we checked in this hotel was not a bad choice. Our first room that we had smelled like cigarette smoke. We called the clerk and he had us to another room.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I booked a 2 night stay in advance of the NASCAR race weekend in nearby Sonoma, and I based my choice almost solely upon the pricing, but I did read the reviews written to make sure I wasn't going to be staying in hell.

The motel is currently being renovated a few rooms at a time, and I was given one of the newer rooms. It had a comfortable bed, a tv, and a microwave and mini-fridge so everything I needed was there. On the evening of my 2nd and last night, I inquired if it was possible to extend my stay by one more night. The woman at the front desk politely informed me that she had one room left, but that it was not one of the redone rooms, and to make sure that I was not disappointed she took me to the room (it was vacant) to show it to me. The room was clean and outfitted with the same tv, microwave & mini-fridge as my previous room so I went back to the front desk to pay for it. I was pleasantly surprised when I was offered the room at the rate I had paid for the previous 2 nights (the going rate for a Sat night was $20 more), but I declined simply because they had been so gracious.

It was on the 3rd night that I discovered I was missing a charger. I went back to the front desk & asked if it had been found by housekeeping after I checked out of my original room, but I was told nothing had been turned in. Just in case housekeeping had come across it but not notified them, they took my cell number. Imagine my surprise when they followed up with a call the next day after housekeeping staff returned to work to inform me that no one had found the charger! I found it later upon my return home, but I was impressed with their committment to service and very friendly attitude.

I didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting. And, there was lots of parking every night....with spots to spare. I would recommend this motel to anyone who is looking for a clean, fairly-priced, and well-run establishment. It's convenient location right off of highway 101 with an Applebee's, Starbuck's, and gas station right around the corner are welcome bonuses.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Grant City Mo
Reviewed 8 May 2009

This was a nice clean, quiet place. It was within walking distance to several fast food places and 2 chain restaurants, and a Starbucks. We stayed 4 nights while visiting my brother. the price for 4 nights was equal to one night in the upscale hotels. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#4 of 10 in Rohnert Park

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites Petaluma? Share your experiences!