“Easy access for the area but lacks charm”

Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlsbad, California
“Easy access for the area but lacks charm”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Sheraton Sonoma is very easy access from the freeway. That said - it's right next to the freeway and you do not feel like you are in Napa. I was here for a business trip so it was fine....but I would NOT want to use this for a wine weekend. There is a pool but you would be listening to the freeway if you tried to relax next to it.

This hotel is pricey for what you get. The staff was friendly. But the rooms are somewhat plain. Felt cheap. The heating and cooling system is OLD and mine was soooo noisy that I had to turn it off at night so that I could sleep.

The workout room is updated and clean. It was highlight of hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor facing water. I do not recommend because people are walking by and can loo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mhodges71
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Hello mhodges,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your candid feedback regarding the hotel.

Our location is handy to the 101 and many guests like how easy it is to get virtually anywhere in Sonoma County from here. We are 5 minutes to downtown Petaluma, 25 minutes to Santa Rosa, 30 minutes to the ocean and 40 minutes to San Francisco, so our location works for many. As to wineries, as we are at the gateway to wine country, there are some 300 wineries within a 30-45 minute drive.

Should you have an opportunity to return, all hotel guest rooms will be fully renovated later this year. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our recently upgraded Sheraton Fitness facility during your stay.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and best wishes,

David Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cicero, Indiana
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Sheraton Sonoma had everything you would want from a hotel while staying in Sonoma County. Petaluma is a charming little town, and the hotel is in a quieter area that made it nice for our home base. We had a beautiful room, spacious, clean and with all the amenities one would expect from a Starwood property. The only negative comment I could make about our stay was the coffee that was to be left in our room. For some reason our housekeeping staff didn't want us to drink coffee. On our first night, we weren't left coffee cups, and on the 2nd day we were left cups, but no coffee. A call to the front desk and both days we had what we needed, so no need to mark down on the property for that. Mistakes do happen. The bar was nice and quiet, even though the NCAA championships were playing there, so it was nice to be able to sit in a quiet lounge, watch the games and enjoy a glass of wine. The bartender was very knowledgable about her California wines, as well as the restaurants in the area. Of the 3 front desk staff members we spoke to, two of them were able to give recommendations on what vineyards to visit. One apologized and said she was new to this property and hadn't received the training yet to give us this information ... understandable. Since we are a Starwood member and booked using "points", I can't say if it was worth the $$, but for us, it was a perfect property.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delores W
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Dolores,

Many thanks for your very positive comments. I really appreciate your detail, even on the things we can improve upon. I am especially pleased to read you enjoyed some of our area wineries and restaurants. Hope you can come back and try some more!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Good:

-Nice location (I've noticed that some reviews have said it was noisy, but this was not my experience.)
-Friendly staff
-Great for pets (There is a walking trail just a few steps from the hotel, and it's a nice place to take your dog. They even provide bags to it's a cinch to clean up after Fido.)
-Delicious Starbucks coffee in your room - very convenient

Things to consider:

-This is a pretty basic hotel. If you're looking for spa destination or luxury hotel, this is not the right place. For my business trip, it was fine.
-The surrounding neighborhood is beautiful, but the hotel is located in a small business complex. If you're looking for ambiance, again, this is not the right place.
-If you want a clean, comfortable hotel book this place ASAP.

The Bad:

My only negative experience with this hotel is the price. For a Sheraton, my expectations are a little higher and they let me down a little. The room is expensive, the food is good (but expensive), and their website says they list the "best rates" but I was able to get $50 off per-night from a discount booking site.

Room Tip: If you have pet allergies, this is a hotel you should avoid. But if you're a pet owner looking f...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ReviewerD
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear ReviewerD,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. It's always great when guests take the time to provide thoughtful comments. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your stay overall. Regarding prices, as we are located in a highly seasonal destination, sometimes our room rates can vary from week to week, even day to day. I hope you will consider giving us another try and prehaps we will find a date that is more reasonably priced.

Best wishes,

Apple Valley, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My sister and I recently spent four nights at this hotel. Our stay was very nice, but they offer NO continental breakfast at all. This is not an economy hotel. I thought it was pretty much the norm now days to offer something in the morning. The room was $150. a night +, and to offer nothing is somewhere I would probably not book again. I don't expect a lot or a full breakfast but juice and a danish would be nice.

Hungry

Room Tip: Don't go here if you want to eat before getting on the road in the morning. Air conditioner very...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbara B
Hi Barbara,

Thanks very much for your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall. Regarding breakfast, we do offer packages that include a full breakfast served in our restaurant. You might consider booking one of these packages if you stay with us again, otherwise, delicious breakfasts are available in both our restaurant and through room service delivery. Thanks again for your comments.

West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Not a lot of options in Petaluma, so we selected this hotel since we were going to the Artisan Cheese Festival and it was being held at the property. Pretty average, nothing fancy. Room was clean. Shower had adequate water pressure but it made a really annoying shrill. I would stay again if we had to stay in Petaluma again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KPETE0
Hello KPETE0,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write. I'm glad your enjoyed your stay overall and especially attending the Artisan Cheese Festival. Its a great event and always receives terrific comments from our guests.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights for our son's graduation from Chief Petty Officer Academy. We initially had a minor problem with the room but they immediately upgraded us to a marina view room and comped us breakfast. Super quiet rooms and comfortable beds. Front desk staff was excellent and accommodating. We only had breakfast at the restaurant and service was kind of slow but overall and excellent experience for a hotel located in such a remote area. If you are doing the tourist stuff like we were, it is an easy drive to see the redwoods, Bodega Bay (great little fishing town and excellent views of the cliffs overlooking the ocean) and nice drive through wine country to see vineyards.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
David S, General Manager at Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Hi DKB,

Thanks very much for your positive comments. We are honored to host the Coast Guard graduation dinner several times each year and I am glad you were able to stay with us and to celebrate your son's achievement. It sounds like you were able to enjoy several of our areas beautiful visitor attractions during your stay. Two of them, Bodega Bay and the Redwoods, are amongst my favorites.

I hope you can come back again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

There are very few good hotel options in Petaluma, so you'd like to think Sheraton Sonoma County could exploit the market situation. But time and time again, they fall way short of the mark. They struggle to keep staff, and this constant turnover leads to very poor service at the front desk. Additionally the hotel itself is in need of a makeover in most of the public areas. Wear and tear, dirty carpets and an overall less than inviting interior are disappointing. The hotel does not come close to what I believe the Sheraton brand represents. The rooms for the most part are clean and in good shape. The restaurant and bar are good as a last resort, but fall into the category of "hotel food" so do yourself a favor and head out to one of the many great downtown restaurants.

But the continued poor service make this hotel clearly one to avoid. After many many nights here, I've moved on the other places that place a higher emphasis on customer service. This means giving up my Sheraton Platinum status next year but I'll move to Marriott or Hyatt. Too bad really, they have a great market with little or no competition. Look to Novato, Sonoma or Santa Rosa for much better accommodations.

Room Tip: Avoid anything on the second floor above the Fitness center
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Novajim2010
Dear NovaJim,

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. Issues regarding cleanliness and service are not acceptable. On the plus side, we will be completely renovating all guest rooms in the hotel late this year and, after some considerable turnover, our staff at the front desk is now stabilized. Thank you for your candid comments.

David Scott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Metro Hotel & Cafe
Metro Hotel & Cafe
#1 of 8 in Petaluma
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center

Been to Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma? Share your experiences!