“Vintage Charm with Modern Amenities in Great Location”
Review of Hotel Petaluma

Hotel Petaluma
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
“Vintage Charm with Modern Amenities in Great Location”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at this property with my parents during a road trip down the 1 and 101 and we have nothing but great things to say. We stayed just one night and made our way into San Francisco the next morning, but my parents kept remarking that they wished we could stay at the Hotel Petaluma again. The room had two queen beds (not doubles, queens,) and the mattresses were amazing. Definitely the best room we had all trip--plenty spacious, extremely clean, and with all the modern amenities you could ask for (flat screen TV, cable, and free Wi-Fi,) while still maintaining its vintage charm (great architecture, original elevator, etc.) The staff were excellent--very gracious, gave directions and recommendations for sights and restaurants both in Petaluma and in San Francisco, and were present the entire time we were there. I am not sure about some of the less complimentary reviews in here, but they honestly baffle me, as the hotel we stayed in was clean, in working order, and very comfortable. Next time I make it to or through Sonoma County, I know I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah S
Jess P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Petaluma, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We are so delighted that you and your folks enjoyed your stay with us and would certainly welcome you back when you plan to visit again. Petaluma is a wonderful town with many restaurants and shops close to the hotel's location. It is most definitely one of the reasons people choose to stay here.Thank you for recognizing what a great staff we have! We're so glad they were able to provide you with the information and suggestions which you requested. A great night's sleep is nothing without a comfortable bed,so very glad that you enjoyed both and look forward to hosting you again on a future visit~

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

So we didn't see Jack Nicholson or Norman Bates, but this is one horror story of a hotel. Antiquated plumbing "updated" with a Byzantine maze of pipes, silt in the tub, cloggy drains, a broken shower head were the worst offenses. There was not a flat surface in the bathroom on which to place personal items; a simple tray table would have helped. A single, straight-back chair was the only place to sit. Housekeeping was sloppy, failing to replace fresh cups and creamer for the coffee-maker. A historical place, close to downtown, but without a shred of charm or quaintness.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mona S
Jess P, General Manager at Hotel Petaluma, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We are sorry to hear you had an unpleasant stay. Our housekeeping staff is normally very thorough in their cleaning and I will look into why there was such an oversight. I will look into the design of the bathroom in general as we have added shelving to most rooms that only have the built-in mirrored medicine cabinets.
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed in Petaluma on business for a number of years and I found this a pleasant place to stay. The building has it's charms, you get a front door key and the elevator is a functioning antique.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was very helpful and friendly. And there is no shortage of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it would be that I would not like it to be fully booked the next time I am in Petaluma.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jeff,
Roast & Vine cafe just opened on the corner and we are now offering breakfast with your stay. Come stay again and have a great cup of coffee or local craft beer and wine on the next visit.
Thanks for the support!
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently stayed here with my wife and two young daughters during Petaluma's Butter and Egg festival weekend. As soon as we walked in I was hit by nostalgia, thinking about some of the buildings my father used to work at in downtown Chicago when I was young and some of the traits you don't see in modern buildings - I'm a big fan of turn of the century to 40's charm. My daughters loved riding the old school elevator (Mom and Dad did too) and we found our room to be very comfortable with a great balance between old-school charm (decor, palate and furnishings) and new school amenities (free wi-fi, nice TV, fridge, coffee). The building does have older windows, so be prepared to hear some traffic, but Petaluma is no big city and even on the busiest weekend of the year, we had two great nights of sleep - it helped that the beds were so comfortable.

We look forward to going back up to P-Town again for a show, foodie weekend, or to tour the countryside (apple picking at Chileno Valley Ranch, Spring Hill Farms pumpkin patch, country bike rides, etc) and will definitely stay at the Hotel Petaluma again ...the staff was also very pleasant and the rates, fair. Given the building's revitalization is still a work in progress, I look forward to seeing what improvements are in store.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Todd,

We are glad you had a nice time exploring the Petaluma area. We continue to make improvements each day and hope the earplugs help with the noise. Hope to have you and your family up for Taste of Petaluma or any of the other great festivals Petaluma offers.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My story starts like this, all true and recent from my Oct 4th weekend, One lonely night while traveling....looking for a room to stay the night I found this place after many rooms were all sold out. Sure when I saw the pics off my phone, I thought "Wow, this place looks old", I didnt have much of a choice anyways. After our stay, I would come back and stay here again, We had gone to Sta Rosa for a cycling event, then Napa for wine tasting. Everything was booked from Sta Rosa all the way to Novato, Sure there were some hotels with rooms available but at $200+ that normaly run you less than $100 wasnt practical. I'm not complaining because we purposely went without reservations.. Good thing too cause we wouldnt of found this hidden, historic, old, errie kind of feeling of a hotel on this side of the tracks, ( litereally) Theres alot more history than meets the eye.. Sometimes its just nice to stay at a hotel not found on every corner off the freeway or over priced stay overs. Its very close to the few shops, restaurants, and lil nacks to stroll to. We ate at the Italian restaurant up the block, good food, good service, and it too had something else to it but I dont want to ruin it for you.
I had to ask if the hotel was haunted, Hope you dont get frighten regardless of what I was told. Lets just say I slept great but then again, I woke up at 7am that morning, went to cycling event in Sta Rosa then onto to Napa for wine tasting and had a really good Italian pasta dinner to end the night, I know this might sound like a fake review but its not, Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, there are no phones or safes in the rooms, I think thats a good thing besides who doesnt have a cell anyways, just turn them off and leave them in the room unless you want them to take pics. These rooms are simple, very basic but thats what I liked about this place. Bathrrom is clean but hardly renovated, windows dont give great views and doubt youll need it, and yes the beds were comfortable and clean. After 8pm or so there's no one at desk. The only way to get into bldg is with one of your two keys. Dont lose them either, youll get charged heffty.Oh yeah, theres no parking but there are nearby places near hotel, dont park at B of A either. The next morning was a great start to my final weekend day in SF. Happy October !

Room Tip: Its very affordable, might want to make reservation, cause there were very few rooms available but w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JERRTE
HotelPetalumaH, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Petaluma, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
We appreciate your review and the fact that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel has 90 years of history to share but no know ghost stories. We hope to have you back during your next visit to Sonoma.
new mexico
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Note to self: Make reservations AHEAD of time when traveling on Labor Day weekend(!) Yes, we were a bit desperate, but luckily we found this hotel, so we didn't have to sleep in the car. Old hotel in the process of being refurbished, so the room smelled of fresh varnish on the hardwood floor. No problem, just open the window to get some fresh air... oh wait, we're on the Washington street side so there's a LOT of traffic noise up until around 11:30pm and again starting at 7am. And it's quite warm because it's a beautiful weekend in Northern California, but there's no air conditioning. The queen size bed was pretty nice, along with the flat-screen TV. The woman at front desk (very helpful and accommodating) assures us that "next time they will have ceiling fans at least...", which would make all the difference. They are also planning on adding a boulangerie in the space on the corner of the building, so that should be a plus eventually.

Hotel is in a cutesy area of Petaluma with many shops and restaurants all around. Best bet for breakfast nearby is Hallie's on Keller street. However the real find is Volpi's Italian restaurant right around the corner from the hotel at Keller and Washington. Apparently it was a speakeasy in the 20's , and the old secret bar is still in the back and still in use. If you're lucky(?) there will be an old guy playing the accordion there that we heard is the son of the original owner. Also lots of antique accordions on display too. Best Italian food we've had in a long time!

Room Tip: If it's been hot weather when you travel, try to get a room not on the Washington street side...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chasbabb
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are continuing to make improvements to the hotel, including the refinishing of the beautiful original wood floors which does sometimes take a few days to air out of the varnish smell. The proximity to the fabulous downtown is always a great reason to come stay as you are able to enjoy the local food, shops, and riverfront.
We hope to have you come stay again.
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 19 September 2013

While this is an old building, the room was very clean. We rented a room with two queens and were really pleased with the amount of space in the room. The hotel is located right in the very cute, old downtown area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank shmiggin
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The additional space in the double queen rooms does allow for the comfort of having 4 people in the same room. We hope to have you come stay again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Sheraton Sonoma County - Petaluma
Quality Inn Petaluma - Sonoma
Metro Hotel & Cafe
Metro Hotel & Cafe
#1 of 8 in Petaluma
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center

Been to Hotel Petaluma? Share your experiences!