“Old and clean, but not charming”
Review of Hotel Petaluma

Hotel Petaluma
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Petaluma
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We bought the deal on travelzoo - which has always worked out well for us. This time we were disappointed. The decor and comfort of the room was lacking. The furniture looked like it was collected from the free section offof craigslist. We got only two pillows and since there were no comfortable chairs to sit in, the bed was the only place to sit to read or relax - and you need some softness to rest your back, right? Our package was supposed to include breakfast at the corner coffee shop. When we arrived about 9 a.m. all that was left were 4 stale muffins wrapped in plastic to choose from. The second day we got yogurt, as there was nothing else (not even stale muffins.) If all you need is a place to shower, sleep and do laundry, this place would be fine, as it is safe and clean. But hanging out in the room was depressing and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet R

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Need a passing thru place to stay in Petaluma?. Try the Old and Quirky Petaluma Hotel. Stayed 1 night in this place, and found it to be a great Hotel. A grand old building in Down town Petaluma, that maintains its great roots in history. So keep in mind the building is old, and decor is matching, but clean!. The night clerk was very helpfull, and had the information to our many questions. The front of the building can be be loud for you light sleepers, but the Hotel has ear plugs for free....Quirky but a nice place to stay, If you are not a little Quirky drive on thru, its not the place for you..WE LOVED IT.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from front of Hotel due to noise or grab a free set of ear plugs. Have a open mi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven H
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at Hotel Petaluma while visiting friends. I will stay here again when we come back . The room was large and the beds comfy . Everything was very clean and tidy. I checked out the separate bathrooms down the hall that were nicely done. Ours was ensuite. While there is a little noise from the street it was still a comfy night. Plus the front desk provided ear plugs. And breakfast was next door at Roast & Vine. What a treat.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at this property with my parents during a road trip down the 1 and 101 and we have nothing but great things to say. We stayed just one night and made our way into San Francisco the next morning, but my parents kept remarking that they wished we could stay at the Hotel Petaluma again. The room had two queen beds (not doubles, queens,) and the mattresses were amazing. Definitely the best room we had all trip--plenty spacious, extremely clean, and with all the modern amenities you could ask for (flat screen TV, cable, and free Wi-Fi,) while still maintaining its vintage charm (great architecture, original elevator, etc.) The staff were excellent--very gracious, gave directions and recommendations for sights and restaurants both in Petaluma and in San Francisco, and were present the entire time we were there. I am not sure about some of the less complimentary reviews in here, but they honestly baffle me, as the hotel we stayed in was clean, in working order, and very comfortable. Next time I make it to or through Sonoma County, I know I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah S
Jess P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Petaluma, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We are so delighted that you and your folks enjoyed your stay with us and would certainly welcome you back when you plan to visit again. Petaluma is a wonderful town with many restaurants and shops close to the hotel's location. It is most definitely one of the reasons people choose to stay here.Thank you for recognizing what a great staff we have! We're so glad they were able to provide you with the information and suggestions which you requested. A great night's sleep is nothing without a comfortable bed,so very glad that you enjoyed both and look forward to hosting you again on a future visit~

Reviewed 12 May 2014

So we didn't see Jack Nicholson or Norman Bates, but this is one horror story of a hotel. Antiquated plumbing "updated" with a Byzantine maze of pipes, silt in the tub, cloggy drains, a broken shower head were the worst offenses. There was not a flat surface in the bathroom on which to place personal items; a simple tray table would have helped. A single, straight-back chair was the only place to sit. Housekeeping was sloppy, failing to replace fresh cups and creamer for the coffee-maker. A historical place, close to downtown, but without a shred of charm or quaintness.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mona S
Jess P, General Manager at Hotel Petaluma, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

We are sorry to hear you had an unpleasant stay. Our housekeeping staff is normally very thorough in their cleaning and I will look into why there was such an oversight. I will look into the design of the bathroom in general as we have added shelving to most rooms that only have the built-in mirrored medicine cabinets.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed in Petaluma on business for a number of years and I found this a pleasant place to stay. The building has it's charms, you get a front door key and the elevator is a functioning antique.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was very helpful and friendly. And there is no shortage of bars and restaurants within walking distance. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it would be that I would not like it to be fully booked the next time I am in Petaluma.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Jeff,
Roast & Vine cafe just opened on the corner and we are now offering breakfast with your stay. Come stay again and have a great cup of coffee or local craft beer and wine on the next visit.
Thanks for the support!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I recently stayed here with my wife and two young daughters during Petaluma's Butter and Egg festival weekend. As soon as we walked in I was hit by nostalgia, thinking about some of the buildings my father used to work at in downtown Chicago when I was young and some of the traits you don't see in modern buildings - I'm a big fan of turn of the century to 40's charm. My daughters loved riding the old school elevator (Mom and Dad did too) and we found our room to be very comfortable with a great balance between old-school charm (decor, palate and furnishings) and new school amenities (free wi-fi, nice TV, fridge, coffee). The building does have older windows, so be prepared to hear some traffic, but Petaluma is no big city and even on the busiest weekend of the year, we had two great nights of sleep - it helped that the beds were so comfortable.

We look forward to going back up to P-Town again for a show, foodie weekend, or to tour the countryside (apple picking at Chileno Valley Ranch, Spring Hill Farms pumpkin patch, country bike rides, etc) and will definitely stay at the Hotel Petaluma again ...the staff was also very pleasant and the rates, fair. Given the building's revitalization is still a work in progress, I look forward to seeing what improvements are in store.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Todd,

We are glad you had a nice time exploring the Petaluma area. We continue to make improvements each day and hope the earplugs help with the noise. Hope to have you and your family up for Taste of Petaluma or any of the other great festivals Petaluma offers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#5 of 10 in Rohnert Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Hotel Petaluma? Share your experiences!