“Disappointing return”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Petaluma
Huntington Beach, CA
“Disappointing return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

I've stayed at this location a few times, mostly off-season, and this time in August. Most Motel 6's are about the same and one doesn't expect much, no amenities at all, but this visit was harder to tolerate and I ended up leaving. The beds are so bloody hard I had bruises, blankets were scratchier, carpet dirty. And the one thing that was a huge problem was that there were so many Non-smoking rooms filled with smokers - they'd stand outside their rooms and I couldn't not walk through a cloud of smoke going to my room and cigarette butts strewn all over the ground and walkways. I try to keep windows open a bit, don't like being closed up in a room but couldn't here because the smoke kept blowing in. The worst sin about Motel 6 is the complete disregard for the smoking policies, and that's fairly true across the board at every location - smokers get into non-smoking rooms and just stand outside them smoking - I don't get the difference and why they bother. And the motel leaves an ash tray even in non-smoking rooms - what's that? This time, this location had a lot more unpleasant-looking guests so I didn't feel as safe as I once had.

I once liked this location but now I don't think I'll go back. The advantage is why I went there - it's within a 40-minute drive to San Francisco, Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Sausalito, Napa-Sonoma, and it's the only really affordable motel that gives you that. This visit had me nervous and on-edge the whole time, and I had one neighbor who just gave me the willies, a long-term motel guest, who appeared at my door a few times. Like I said, gave me the willies and I barricaded myself in at night - not a good feeling. I did speak with the general manager and he was very concerned about the issues I discussed with him, and he did give me a credit back toward one night. But there is just so much he can do, he can't control the guests who have little regard for the property.

Oh, and wifi is not great, and it's weak in a number of rooms - good for just checking emails but not much more - poor connections and the tech support kept telling me how many calls he got about the connection, as if that explained the problem and didn't completely validate my complaint. It is a fairly quiet location compared to most, and if you get a room facing the pool it feels downright cozy. There's a few places to eat nearby, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Applebees, a couple of nice cafe's across the road. But there's not shopping close by - it's a few miles away from historic old town Petaluma, which has some nice shops and galleries. It's not the worst place I've stayed but it had more issues of concern than in the past, when I actually enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank IsaKing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kalispell, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

Bed bugs and I received tons of bites all over my body......neglected to check as we have never had that problem before.....hairs in the bathtub and they weren't ours.....also weird cinnamon smell that seemed to be coverting smoke smell

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa S
Norwalk, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Motel 6 always advertises a clean comfortable room at a low price. That is precisely what you get. If you're looking for amenities, you're in the wrong place. If you're staying for one night, passing through, you can't beat the value (half the cost of its closest competitor). But, I believe they carry "no frills" a little too far. We stayed for two nights and felt the need for a little more. Like a nightstand and lamp on BOTH sides of the bed (we had only one... I was on the wrong side and when I finished reading had to get out of bed to turn off the light); drawers in the dresser (only cubbies - again, fine for overnight, not great for an extended stay); and we did miss having the coffee maker that all other motels, at all price ranges, seem to always provide.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ANDYatCDI
Sequim, Wa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We rented 5 rooms for 3 nights for a family reunion. Requested non-smoking rooms but all of them smelled of stale smoke but the rooms were furnished with ash trays giving the impression that smoking was permitted.. None of the rooms had the usual complimentary shampoo, conditioner, tissues and hair dryer that one expects of motels these days.
Room #1 - upon arriving we found the sheets on one of the beds were used;. One bed was not made up daily. No rubber bath mat on 2 of the 3 days. Asked for mat to be delivered to room but was told no one was available and we would have to get it ourself. Tried to locate other family members via room phone and was told they weren't guests there. Person sorting recycleable can outside room at 6:30 AM !!!
Room #2 - room smelled strong of chemicals. Requested room change.
Room #3 - internet service not available as advertised. Requested room change.
Room #4 - bedspread stained and had burn holes. Carpet very dirty.
Room #5 - room smelled.
I would not recommed this motel to anyone especially those traveling with children.

4 Thank linbenSequim-Wa
Sequim, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

Our non-smoking room had been reciently smoked in and came with ash trays. There was no kleenex, shampoo, or hairdryer and only one bar of soap. The floor looked like it wasn't vaccummed so we never walked barefooted on the carpet. I would not stay here again and would defineately never take children here. We were here for a family reunion and everyone had different issues and had to move from one room to another for the second night. If we hadden't paid up front, we would have moved to another motel. I know you get what you pay for, but at this place you get even less.

Room Tip: Good connectability to Inernet only available in some rooms.
2 Thank fvlaceym
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed here as it was inexpensive. The front desk staff were very helpful. Told us where Olive Garden was and how to get there. There was a pool right by our room but we didn't use it. Room was clean. Perfect for a place to rest your head.

1 Thank Traveller1322
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

We arrived, dropped off the cat and off to our friends house for dinner. Returned and was shocked. Feces in the toilet (my cat isn't toilet trained) beer can behind the bed, mold behind the sink faucet, non smoking room smelled of heavy old smoke and the bed spread had over a dozen burn marks. A decent sized foreign object that left us wondering.

Both my husband's eyes immediately turned red and started to hurt. His skin also had a reaction and he isn't usually prone to respond harshly to irritants.

Other clients definitely left one to wonder what they were up to. We didn't feel safe to have 2 small children or a car of personal items at this Motel 6.

They weren't going to reimburse us until I threatened to get the police to come and investigate about how many drug addicts were checked in that night. Miraculously they refunded my money after that.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank KJV1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petaluma
BEST WESTERN Petaluma Inn
#1 of 8 in Petaluma
Good Nite Inn Rohnert Park
Good Nite Inn Rohnert Park
#3 of 10 in Rohnert Park

Been to Motel 6 Petaluma? Share your experiences!