“Good little find in Petaluma”

Water Street Bistro
Ranked #9 of 263 Restaurants in Petaluma
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups, French
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good little find in Petaluma”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Was in the search for a salad and some outdoor seating. Used tripadvisor and found this cool spot. Was exactly what I was looking for. Great salads, sandwiches, and soups. They had an extensive daily special list and the breakfast menu looked very promising.

• Visited May 2013

Fair Oaks, California
“The Best Ever”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Oh my gosh. This place is the best. I had the best Pastrami Sandwich I have ever had. And the Crab Chowder was a first for me. I have never had a Crab Chowder, and it was certainly the best Chowder I have ever eaten. A wonderful place, I will be back!

• Visited March 2013
Sacramento, California
“Recommended by Locals”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

While on day trip I asked a couple of local residents what restaurant they recommended for lunch. They sent us to the Water Street Bistro. Once inside I immediately noticed the homemade deserts and breads. The area set aside for ordering is small and somewhat chaotic but well worth this small inconvenience. I ordered the crab soup and a half chicken salad sandwich. The soup came with a wonderful piece of fresh baked bread and butter. The sandwich was brought to our table a few minutes later and was served with a small portion of greens lightly dressed. The sandwich was on homemade bread, generously portioned and delicious. The restaurant does a brisk business and appears to have a lot of return customers.
As we were getting ready to return home we again stopped in for a cup of coffee and homemade apple crisp.
There is both indoor and outdoor seating. The prices are very reasonable and the staff is pleasant.
If you decide to eat here you will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
Murrumbateman, Australia
“Homely haven with mind-reading staff”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This became my regular breakfast stop during a recent 5-day stay in Petaluma, although my first visit here was for lunch. The french-style menu drew me in from the start -- destiny it would seem, as I was lodged at the french-themed Metro Hotel & Cafe 5 minutes' walk away along Boulevard Sth. -- and on that occasion I enjoyed one of the best boeuf bourguignons ever. And having previously lived in France for many years, I've had more than a few.

The friendly staff make everyone feel welcome and they'll take the time to chat when they're not rushed off their feet. With customers moving around freely -- ordering/paying at the counter, helping themselves to iced water, coffee & newspapers -- the place has a homely, bustling bistro atmosphere (thus the name I guess). I much prefer that to a more formal restaurant setting, but the at times order-on-the-edge-of-chaos may not suit everyone.

I had something different for breakfast every day. I'm pretty sure the person who served me is a mind reader. Before I even spoke she had anticipated my order with uncanny accuracy -- a rare talent that says something about staff/customer empathy here. Either that or I had smoked salmon & toast, or whatever it was, written all over my face. By the way the salmon was delicious -- though the portion size defeated me -- as were the quiches.

If you enjoy a leisurely breakfast, make sure you get here well before the 11.30 switch to lunch. This being Water Street, they do run a tight ship.

My only disappointments? They don't open in the evenings. The outdoor water-side patio would make the perfect spot for dinner in summer. More frustrating, on my last morning they had completely closed for refurbishing. I hope they don't change it too much. I'll be back next time I'm in town and will want more of the same please.

• Visited February 2013
Ormond Beach, FL
“Very good, lovely outdoor seating”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The food and drinks were great. Really cute outdoor patio where you can see downtown and the river. The service is sort of weird, you have to order at the counter and then they bring you your food. But the place was so busy, it felt sort of hectic and a little confusing. But I would definitely recommend it.

Visited September 2012