“Charming”
Review of Riverwood Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phillipsville
Riverwood Inn
Corvallis, Oregon
“Charming”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stopped at this restaurant out of desperation and had a delightful lunch. The tortillas were freshly home-made, the ingredients were very tasty and the portions were large. They also have a large selection of micro-brews (we sampled a local from a bottle) and tequilas (we did not sample). The restaurant has a tavern in the front and a billiards room to the side. The wait staff were attentive. We came in at lunchtime and it was relatively bright outside. The tavern we walked into was very dark but smelled exotic from the open hearth fireplace in the middle of the room. Once our eyes adjusted, we were comfortable and sat in the back with a lovely view over the valley.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 25 September 2012

A great local bar that is also one of the last slices of Americana left along the mighty Eel River.
This is a really cool stop for live music, good food and a warm place to rest your head. The owners are some of the friendliest people around. The Riverwood Inn is at the south end of the Avenue of the Giants. We started at the north end of Hwy 254 and drove south. If you are in the area, DO NOT miss this drive! Once you have been awed by the Giant trees, stop into the Riverwood for Mexican food, a few beers and some live music. Then stay downstairs. The rooms are clean and the prices reasonable. Plus, it's a story you'll be telling for a good, long time!

Room Tip: It's queen for $80 or king for $100. This place is not the Ritz, but it is a clean, comfortable...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bogusmalarky
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I'm a little torn with writing this review. I generally stay at places that are pricier and so I realize that some of my dissatisfaction is because of my expectations being too high. I wanted to do something simple and affordable for our short stay in the Avenue of the Giants area and I picked this based on reviews.

We weren't able to get the quiet room which I think is the nicer one for a bunch of reasons. We stayed instead in one of the dark rooms in the back under the bar. The room was fine and clean but very modest and older. The shower was dark and small and had a beer logo on the ceiling. Again, nothing wrong with that but it wasn't super comfortable. The bed itself was perfectly fine. We didn't sleep well because of the bar noise upstairs but we had been warned and knew this would happen.

We had dinner at the restaurant which was very good. We had a few drinks at the bar early in the evening and then played some pool in the game room which was fun.

The bartender helped us to our room and made herself available if we needed her. She was perfectly helpful if hurried and not very chatty.

All in all, we got our needs met and $80 is certainly very cheap. However, the next day we stayed at a place in the middle of the Russian River valley for $99 with modern rooms, flat screen TVs, free wifi, etc, etc, etc. I guess I thought $80 in the sleepy redwoods would go a bit further but there aren't many options in the area. I think next time, we will try to rent a small cabin instead. But we'll definitely be back to Riverwood for dinner.

Room Tip: I think if you choose the room at the end of the inn, you would have a much better experience.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jess_march
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is a very basic room at a good price in a great location. Loreen was not there that night - bu bartender Michelle was very accommodating. We had a very good Mexican meal and then sat on the porch and met the porch people who told us a lot about the area - things to see and just about living there. They have to go to the post office next door so then they come and have a few at the bar and sit on the porch. We talked to the regulars and had a really good time. Dr. Lickitt, Jill, and guy John I think - overalls, boots, glasses. Nice funny, conversation. Jill even invited us to go to San Diego with her the next day. Then we all had our 9th final and left. The room also has a porch to sit on and have your last final - or your morning coffee / tea. We saw the moon from there. Room was clean - just very basic - Think more cabin atmosphere than hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindalee03
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My two kids and I stayed here back in the summer of 2011 and we had a great time.
I'm an HSU alum who likes to bring the kids up to Humboldt to appreciate all the wondrous beauty North Coast has to offer. We love Southern Humboldt's heat, and the river.

I wanted to spend a couple days with my kids on the Eel River, but not in Garberville. You can find a Best Western anywhere, but not a 1937 Roadhouse with such historic flavor. This place was the spot I settled on while searching the internet for decent places to stay along Avenue of the Giants, and it did not disappoint at all. In fact it made me wish I rode a Harley.

The location was great and the room was better then I thought it would be. The amazing restaurant and strong margaritas at the Riverwood Inn made our stay most enjoyable. I loved having music drown out my kids, and everybody was welcoming and friendly. It was casual from checking into through departure.

Stay here if you are are looking for something other then a cookie cutter hotel room.

Room Tip: Let Loreen know when you are arriving so your room will be ready.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sabrinakabella
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I love it when I get the best room in the house.

Luck was with me today, and room number One is the ticket - bottom of the stairs, on the right.  Close to the outside door, as far away from the action as possible.  Depending who you are and the day of the week that's either awesome or unnecessary, when there's a party on upstairs.

I can't say why exactly, maybe it was the stark green bedspread, but the room has character.  The drawers are real wood, worn by the presence of life, and I just had the feeling that something interesting could happen here.  More than that I shall not tell except to say that I slept well.

Despite a heater, it never got all that warm inside, but A) it was winter, and B) I came equipped to wander amongst the redwoods, so I wasn't expecting warm and my comfort was never offended.

And I always feel like a king with French doors leading to a balcony, even if it is a shared one.  This was just what I needed at just the right time, and although amazing food is scarce in the morning (for which I was prepared), I headed north feeling like a champion.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank karlosthedestroyer
Sand Springs, Ok
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I don't normally write a review for all the places I've stayed, but after reading some of the negative comments left by pusskin I felt compelled to set the record straight. First of all the Humboldt Redwoods Area is one of the most laid back and friendliest places I've ever been. The Riverwood Inn is no exception. The way business is conducted there reminds me of simpler places and times and warms my heart to think how great the world could be if life was more like it is on the Avenue of the Giants. It is a different place, and I don't recommend it for the snobbish, but for those who enjoy a little adventure, it will be one of the most memorable places you can stay. The website explains the place well, and if something isn't clear Loreen is great at getting back to you by email. On a side note, the restaurant is great Mexican food. Riverwood gets my full recommendation.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hawkercowboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phillipsville
Benbow Historic Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn

Been to Riverwood Inn? Share your experiences!