Blackbird Farm
US$176
US$88
US$77
Good 3.5/5
Super 8 Ukiah(Ukiah)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$67
US$161
Good 3.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My family and I celebrated my 60th birthday at Highland Ranch. There were 4 couples and a few more guests for the birthday dinner Saturday night. It was everything my heart desired. Relaxed, beautiful, comfortable and we were sooo taken care of by the staff. I think the best part was that we all did exactly what we wanted all the time - even if it meant getting some time away from each other. Hey, we were there for a week :-)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I've been to guest ranches before, and on riding vacations before, and Highland Ranch ranks highest on my list for non-European riding experiences. Jim and Suzie run the ranch with an organized, but not overly structured, touch. Two ride times per day, with experience levels separated to ensure that more experienced riders get great rides, and rusty riders get up to speed. Trails are beautiful, views are lovely -- the entire Anderson Valley spreads before you. Horses are very well taken care of, sure-footed, and the wranglers are superb.

Food was out of this world, chef Rob and his staff provided really healthy tasty food with enough variety and big-city worthy flavors. HR has a bit of the European touch, in that wine is served with both lunch and dinner, there is a cocktail hour and the main house is open to all day and night for snacks and beverages. Many ranches in Colorado and the West are a bit restrictive with such things, but this one clearly caters to adult tastes, with the wholesomeness of family fun always available. Non-Americans should feel very welcome here, as our 4 day stay saw people from Japan and the UK at the ranch, and everyone was having a fabulous time.

The personnel were clearly treated well, another sticky point I have with a few other ranches I've been to. They are not simply employees, they are clearly family and it shows.

Atmosphere is very welcoming, we brought our dog Taylor who had the time of her life. The location is very safe, as it's a few miles down a private road so she was safe and the toddlers there could not have been in a better environment.

Guest accomodations are spacious cabins, with a "Tahoe or Adirondack" feel to them -- very authentic, not luxurious, but comfortable with great bedding, fireplaces and such. Nothing tacky about this place, feels like camp for adults. Touches include dog towels, dog treats, fires laid out and ready to go, etc.

We swam in the pond, rode, walked and simply hung out. Heaven!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2008

I have stayed at a number of "dude ranches" in the Western United States over the years with my 10 year old son, and none compare to this one. Highland Ranch was more like a staying at a gratious inn or bed and breakfast in Europe that also happens to have horse back riding in the redwoods as well as a myriad of activities from tennis to skeet shooting. If one needs to leave the ranch for a few hours ( I never felt the need), you can go wine tasting at the local wineries. The food is fantastic- healthy yet creative fare accompanied by great local wines. There is none of the "nickle and diming" of some establishments with regard to alcohol or extras, and the hosts are generous and accomodating. I personally have never enjoyed the lack of privacy and forced intimacy of the standard bed and breakfast establishments and avoid them like the plague, but here one has their own cabin ( all apparently with fireplaces) for privacy, the ranch has a capacity for I believe up to 25 guests, and as there is no Sunday to Sunday minimum stay as some ranches, the guests keep changing during a normal week. Meal times were communal, but buffet style within a certain time period so there was not the pressure of feeling tied to a rigid time schedule. There also was never the feeling of being forced to socialize.. The options of activities are many, but there is none of the rigid keeping to a schedule that some dude ranches have.While most guests seemed to be family groups, I came with several adult friends who enjoyed the stay as much as my 10 year old did.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Junggirl
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Our first stay and not to be our last. Wonderful tranquility, spoilt for choice between do nothing and do lots; cabins quiet and rustic but more than adequate. Cocktail hour a lovely way to end the day. Jim, Susie, George, Rob and the team all excellent hosts.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 April 2008

The ranch is gorgeous; the managers and staff are extremely nice and truly want you to have a great experience; the food is healthy and delicious; the cabins are warm and cozy; and the ability to have my [well-behaved] dog run off-leash with the other great ranch dogs makes the place a destination. The place is a slice of heaven on earth.

• Stayed: April 2008