“Decor is lovely, services not so much”
Review of The Madrones

The Madrones
Ranked #1 of 4 Philo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here. This is not a hotel or B&B but rather a "guest house". The decor was beautiful, however, there are no services, including a place to empty the garbage, the "kitchen" is a fridge and a coffee pot, no way to get extra towels, the thermostat is in the hallway and is shared between the two rooms, no book in the room with any information on where to get anything, we had to find it outside in the hallway, you must park your car on the highway and walk around the gate. If we had only stayed one night, I would have rated this higher, but after two nights the lack of hospitality service was noticeable. Note: we rent houses on a regular basis so I assumed it would be like that with extra towels, a place to dump the garbage, etc. We were gone all day sightseeing/winetasting and had no way other than to call the owner late at night, whom we only saw for 30 seconds the first day, that we needed more towels? Wish I could be more positive because we had such high hopes.

Room Tip: If you only need one night, it would be fine, but make sure to get the key that opens the french doo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaFoodie
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Hello and thank you for taking time to post your review of The Madrones, we take the feedback very seriously. I think it is so important that when traveling to a place that the destination meets your expectations. Some people arrive her and after seeing the facility, expect high touch service, but you are absolutely right we do not offer that on the property. We are only four guest rooms and I state that as clear as I can on the website. We always tell guests that we are here if you need anything, including extra towels, in addition to the two sets we provide each guest. The guest book indicates where you can place the rubbish, but we are also happy to do that. There is only a full kitchen in the two bedroom suite, as stated on the website. The others have just a fridge, coffee pot and few things to get you started in the morning. I truly wish that you had communicated some of this to me during your visit, I am so eager to provide a comfortable environment for those that are staying. I will continue to improve the communication upon check in. Sometimes on late arrivals, I do keep it very brief and refer back to the book since I sense they maybe tired from the drive in. I'm working on a small orientation card for arrivals this winter. Hopefully that will help. Thanks, Jim

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Honestly have to say this was one of my most wonderful "Inn" experiences. I had visited Mendocino County a number of times in the past, but usually on day trips. When investigating this trip, a friend recommended The Madrones as the perfect place to unplug. My friend was right.

I'll start with the property itself. Gorgeous building, easy to find. Wonderful tasting rooms nestled on the ground level (love that they're right on the property!) and a great little shop. Then got to my room, which was even more spectacular. The view was stunning... vineyards in the foreground, tree covered mountains in the background. The furnishings were splendid. The bed was as comfortable as any I've ever slept in (the sheets were AMAZING). There was a sitting area, with TV and Cable (never turned them on), coffee counter with great coffee, a true coffee maker, granola, jams. Yogurt, water, juice, milk, cream in the fridge. I liked this room so much, that the first morning, I actually didn't leave it until after 11 a.m!

Jim, the owner, couldn't have been more kind or accommodating. Definitely makes you feel welcome and special. I'm really not much of a B&B person, especially when I'm on a mission to unplug. Jim was un-intrusive, and yet available for recommendations, etc. He is clearly well connected in the community and has a wealth of knowledge of things to do, especially as I was visiting in the "off" season.

Thank you for a great stay...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review and kind words about your stay on the property and visit to the valley. As you mentioned, your visit was during the off season when we have some weather up here, so I'm glad the guest quarters was a comfortable place for you to relax and get a slow start to the day as you choose to. Hope to see you again on a future visit!

My best,

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We were a group of 4 starting out in Anderson Valley and going back down through Sonoma back to San Francisco. The Madrones was by far the best experience. The area, Philo, is in the country and the types of amenities available are limited. We didn't miss a thing. Jim, the owner, went out and beyond of this way to be a stellar host. He gave us an additional bedroom when the power was going to go out unexpectedly the night we got there and provided us with jams, salsa and candles. The suite where we stayed was beautiful- it was a perfect set up for 2 couples spending a week together.
I would definately come back to Anderson Valley and stay here again, if not recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks so much Sonali for such I kind review, your group was so much fun to have on the property. I'm glad you like the Guest Quarters II, it is perfect for couples traveling together. I hope to see all of you again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have been back twice to The Madrones since my stay in 2011....primarily to take advantage of some of the adventures that are offered through their website at different times of years (Mushroom foraging!!!). I found those workshops by looking up the Madrones on Facebook... Each time I stayed in a different suite. I loved the front suite and although a logging truck or 2 came through early morning, it wasn't a deterrent...in fact, it helped me to greet the day early for what was going to be a packed-full-to-the-minute day of events! (And STILL, I didn't have enough time to do and see all that I wanted to!) The weekends were free of early AM traffic...frankly, a VERY small inconvenience when you consider the stunning views, the decorator designed suites and comfortable beds, the accessibility to tasting rooms right on the property, and the central location to everything else! (Mendocino, Elk, multiple vineyards, Hendy Woods hiking, Boonville stores) The Sun & Cricket Shop on site even had art supplies so I could sketch from my balcony while sipping my wine....The newer suites are unique in style and equally as comfortable. I can't really pick my favorite...they are all charming! But Guest Quarters IV has great vineyard views.... The true heart of The Madrones, however, lies with the owner/ manager, Jim, who's warm, easy-going personality makes you feel like you are the most important guest he's ever had. He doesn't neglect the small "special" touches (I had a jar of his homemade preserves waiting for me in my kitchen) and as seen by the other reviews, goes above and beyond to correct any concerns, no matter how minor, he might receive from a guest. You just don't find that kind of interaction at a hotel anymore, sadly. One of my favorite parts was tasting at Bink and Drew wines (fine vintners!) and not having to drive home!! I try to give a very honest review, as I rely on these when I travel somewhere new all the time, but I honestly can't think of anything negative to say... Overall, my favorite place to stay when I come back to northern CA...nice to see Sunset magazine agrees with me!

Room Tip: Love the feel in the new suites...great views of the vineyards in Quarters IV
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Thank you so much Helen for the glowing review. It is always such a pleasure to have you stay on the property. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the recently added guest quarters, we are so pleased at how they turned out. Look forward to having you visit again!

Thanks,

Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and my sister and her husband planned a trip to Northern California and were looking for an overnight stay on our way to Inverness. the options for lodging in Philo were limited but was able to find this place. Very cool accommodations! Huge 2bedroom suite with kitchen and dining table. Nice large balcony that overlooked the vineyard on one side and highway on the other. Yogurt, granola, coffee and tea at your disposal. My only complaint is the road noise during evening and morning rush hour. If you are a light sleeper like me this will drive you crazy! Would consider staying agin maybe selecting a single room away from the highway.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Thanks for you response and I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the 2 bedroom apartment. I've had so many guests fall in love with guest quarters II, as you can see from some of the other reviews on this site and Yelp. I can understand the comment about the road noise in that particular guest quarters. It mostly effects the front bedroom, which is not a good choice for very light sleepers particularly on a midweek stay, like your recent visit on a Wednesday night. The weekends are a different story, much less road traffic and an absence of seasonal logging trucks. I have never had a road noise complaint from any of the other accommodations and would encourage you to consider one of those for a return visit, especially if it is midweek.....you'll sleep like a baby. Thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at The Madrones for three nights. There are pros and cons to this place. The grounds are stunning and intimate. Very easy for wine tasting if you do not want to drive. It is self contained from accommodations to several wine tasting rooms, a gift shop and cheese tasting. The wine is excellent. Bink being one of them. Jim, the owner is very nice as is his mother.
Room 1 could be compared to a nice small one bedroom apartment with double french doors connecting the living room and bedroom. The sheets, towels, and soaps are lovely. The bed is very comfortable. Anderson Valley itself is stunning and location is perfect.
The cons: For the price they do not provide maid service. We ran out of t.p. twice so in that respect it would have been better if someone simply checked in on the rooms for supplies or we had access to supplies when noone was around. Our tub was not cleaned very well so we ended up scrubbing it our ourselves. The walls are very thin if someone is staying next door in the two bedroom. We heard everything from hammering to pipes to voices which was a bit invasive and not ideal for sleeping in. If we were to stay at The Madrones again we would definitely choose the 2 bedroom in the future.
I would recommend staying here if in the area for wine tasting. My first recommendation would be The Booneville Hotel. Everyone is so friendly and eager to help out in this area. The area is still genuine and not overrun and spoiled. You can still pick apples off of a tree while on a stroll or talk to farmers about the land. The town of Booneville offers enough places to eat and shop for a weekend stay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write to us as you did personally and also publicly here. I believe in all of our review sites and take feedback very seriously. It is our policy to correct all correctable issues.

I am glad that you enjoyed the points of the property that we have worked so hard to create and would like to address the couple of items that you noted which could use our attention. You are correct, we only have four accommodations and do not provide daily maid service. We state that in our policies and treat this as more of an extension of a home, not a hotel or B & B. Some people coming up to the area are unfamiliar with this type of operation which is more like a European Agriturismo and not a motel or hotel. I will look at a way to make sure people who are booking a stay in the valley at The Madrones understand that and do not have a different expectation. In the future we will be much more attentive to supplies in the room and as for the tub and fixtures, we have hard water in the area with mineral deposits, I will research a cleaner that take care of this issue. These guest quarters are fairly new and we want to make sure they are maintained to a high standard. As for the noise issue, this winter we went back in and added a double wall between the quarters as well as 4" and two layers of commercial soundboard. This is the first time I have heard of a noise issue and will look into it further.

Thank you again for the feedback and we will certainly work towards improving the stay of each of our future guests.

Warm regards, Jim

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at the Madrones for the first time and will be back.
Rooms: Large, clean and well accented. We had one of the new suites and it was very nice. The room is spacious and has all of the necessities. Our room was off the road and quiet, no traffic sounds. There is a fridge and coffee pot for your everyday needs.
Location: Central to everything, downtown Philo or Boonville for dinner, Wineries are on location, across the street with Bocce ball or a close drive.
Ambiance: Excellent. There is a patio downstairs available for dinner or in the afternoons for lunch and it makes for a great location with friends or family. Our daughter felt safe to play on the grounds and garden.
Jim is on site and ever ready to help. He goes out of his way to make things very comfortable for all the guests. Thank you Jim and see you next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review! The feedback makes what we are doing here so worthwhile. We really enjoyed having your family stay on the property and we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit. I see that you have already booked a return for next year, so we look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,
Jim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philo
Hampton Inn Ukiah
North Coast Country Inn
North Coast Country Inn
#4 of 7 in Gualala
The Elk Cove Inn & Spa

Been to The Madrones? Share your experiences!