“Best in Anderson Valley”
Review of The Madrones

The Madrones
Ranked #1 of 4 Philo B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Best in Anderson Valley”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed at the Madrones for three days over Thanksgiving while visiting family in the area and found it to be a wonderful choice. We had the two bedroom suite even though we only need one bedroom but enjoyed the luxurious spacious living and dining area and the first class well equipped and supplied kitchenette. No daily housekeeping service is offered but the unit was so well supplied that was not a problem.

The hospitality and helpfulness of the host Jim Roberts was outstanding. He even telephoned us prior to our arrival to confirm that our expectations would be met.

All of their four units are on a second level with stairs that might challenge a disabled person but were not a problem to us, and we are in our eighties.

The furnishings, views, and general amenities were superb, the best in Anderson Valley in our experience. We will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Tiburon
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Where to start...maybe the host himself, Jim.One of the most accommodating and gracious hosts we've encountered ever, and one can see where it comes from when you meet his mother, RoseMary. The room was gorgeous and huge - we had the large suite #4 with exquisite furnishings and a beautiful view over the adjoining vineyards. It doesn't get more fun than driving in, stopping downstairs to meet the delightful wine associates at the adjoining tasting rooms and then walk up to prepare a light meal (all accoutrements provided in-room) to enjoy on the enclosed terrace listening to the fountain and dreaming of Italy...without flying! Top-flight breakfast items are stocked for a private leisurely breakfast. This is not a fussy B&B/Hotel with staff, it is a private estate type atmosphere, perfect for the independent traveller. Ideally situated to take advantage of fantastic wine-tasting, organic apple farm visiting, hiking in the redwoods, visiting Mendocino, a short drive away. This is a jewel, book early, the word will continue to spread.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifully appointed, the beds excellent. There is a 2-bd w/efficiency kitchen f...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was a beautiful and special place. The owner Jim is a great guy, very friendly, and easy going. It feels as though you're a guest, as opposed to just another customer at a hotel. The room was impeccably decorated and very clean. The bed and sheets were sublime in regards to comfort and softness. We also loved the little touches, such as the granola, fresh coffee, milk, yogurt, croissants, and juice that made it really easy to sleep in and relax in the mornings. We also must mention that the units are new and they feel like high end condos. Finally, the garden onsite was beautiful and would be a great place to enjoy the sun when it gets warmer.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I'm the kind of person who loves to keep a good thing a secret but after we were treated so well, I wanted to share accolades for The Madrones and owner Jim Roberts. I'm a "research junkie" when it comes to travel and in fact my wife often makes fun of me for my lack of spontaneity. I stumbled across The Madrones while looking for wine tasting rooms to visit in Anderson Valley and found Jim's facility. It not only offered multiple wine tasting rooms, but a great boutique and guest quarters, which was a great fit for my wife and I traveling from Wisconsin celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. What impressed me while researching was to find that concerns that were expressed online by previous guests were addressed personally by the owner. I felt that this was a place where the owner takes pride in the experience of his guests. We were not disappointed.

The grounds are beautiful, rooms are thoughtfully designed and setting is very intimate and relaxing. Jim is available to offer great advice for wine destinations, dining and places of interest in the area. My wife and I had planned to stay 2 nights at The Madrones and then finish our trip in Sonoma. We were having such a wonderful time, we skipped Sonoma and stayed at The Madrones. If you're looking for full service hospitality, this probably is not the place for you. If you're looking to uncork and breathe, you have discovered as I did, the right place. I think the best accolade I can give is that we can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here. This is not a hotel or B&B but rather a "guest house". The decor was beautiful, however, there are no services, including a place to empty the garbage, the "kitchen" is a fridge and a coffee pot, no way to get extra towels, the thermostat is in the hallway and is shared between the two rooms, no book in the room with any information on where to get anything, we had to find it outside in the hallway, you must park your car on the highway and walk around the gate. If we had only stayed one night, I would have rated this higher, but after two nights the lack of hospitality service was noticeable. Note: we rent houses on a regular basis so I assumed it would be like that with extra towels, a place to dump the garbage, etc. We were gone all day sightseeing/winetasting and had no way other than to call the owner late at night, whom we only saw for 30 seconds the first day, that we needed more towels? Wish I could be more positive because we had such high hopes.

Room Tip: If you only need one night, it would be fine, but make sure to get the key that opens the french doo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaFoodie
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Hello and thank you for taking time to post your review of The Madrones, we take the feedback very seriously. I think it is so important that when traveling to a place that the destination meets your expectations. Some people arrive her and after seeing the facility, expect high touch service, but you are absolutely right we do not offer that on the property. We are only four guest rooms and I state that as clear as I can on the website. We always tell guests that we are here if you need anything, including extra towels, in addition to the two sets we provide each guest. The guest book indicates where you can place the rubbish, but we are also happy to do that. There is only a full kitchen in the two bedroom suite, as stated on the website. The others have just a fridge, coffee pot and few things to get you started in the morning. I truly wish that you had communicated some of this to me during your visit, I am so eager to provide a comfortable environment for those that are staying. I will continue to improve the communication upon check in. Sometimes on late arrivals, I do keep it very brief and refer back to the book since I sense they maybe tired from the drive in. I'm working on a small orientation card for arrivals this winter. Hopefully that will help. Thanks, Jim
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Honestly have to say this was one of my most wonderful "Inn" experiences. I had visited Mendocino County a number of times in the past, but usually on day trips. When investigating this trip, a friend recommended The Madrones as the perfect place to unplug. My friend was right.

I'll start with the property itself. Gorgeous building, easy to find. Wonderful tasting rooms nestled on the ground level (love that they're right on the property!) and a great little shop. Then got to my room, which was even more spectacular. The view was stunning... vineyards in the foreground, tree covered mountains in the background. The furnishings were splendid. The bed was as comfortable as any I've ever slept in (the sheets were AMAZING). There was a sitting area, with TV and Cable (never turned them on), coffee counter with great coffee, a true coffee maker, granola, jams. Yogurt, water, juice, milk, cream in the fridge. I liked this room so much, that the first morning, I actually didn't leave it until after 11 a.m!

Jim, the owner, couldn't have been more kind or accommodating. Definitely makes you feel welcome and special. I'm really not much of a B&B person, especially when I'm on a mission to unplug. Jim was un-intrusive, and yet available for recommendations, etc. He is clearly well connected in the community and has a wealth of knowledge of things to do, especially as I was visiting in the "off" season.

Thank you for a great stay...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you so much for your review and kind words about your stay on the property and visit to the valley. As you mentioned, your visit was during the off season when we have some weather up here, so I'm glad the guest quarters was a comfortable place for you to relax and get a slow start to the day as you choose to. Hope to see you again on a future visit!

My best,
JIM
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We were a group of 4 starting out in Anderson Valley and going back down through Sonoma back to San Francisco. The Madrones was by far the best experience. The area, Philo, is in the country and the types of amenities available are limited. We didn't miss a thing. Jim, the owner, went out and beyond of this way to be a stellar host. He gave us an additional bedroom when the power was going to go out unexpectedly the night we got there and provided us with jams, salsa and candles. The suite where we stayed was beautiful- it was a perfect set up for 2 couples spending a week together.
I would definately come back to Anderson Valley and stay here again, if not recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
farmersheart, Owner at The Madrones, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thanks so much Sonali for such I kind review, your group was so much fun to have on the property. I'm glad you like the Guest Quarters II, it is perfect for couples traveling together. I hope to see all of you again!

Kind regards,
JIM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philo
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 2 in Little River
Brewery Gulch Inn
Brewery Gulch Inn
#1 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to The Madrones? Share your experiences!