“Loved it!”

Anderson Valley Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philo
Anderson Valley Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Philo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Fantastic! I came with someone else who is a big fan of the Anderson Valley Inn and went along with his suggestion that we stay there. I was worried it would be too basic, but I really liked it and am already thinking of when I can come back.

So what's to like? They're across the street from Scharffenberg winery and diagonal from Libby's, the best Mexican restaurant in the valley. They're only a 10 minute drive from Boonville or any of the wineries north of Philo, like Navarro.

More importantly, the owners, Bob and Lydia, are incredibly friendly and will talk as much or as little as you want. They were always eager to supply tips and suggestions whenever we asked. Yes, they only have breakfast on the weekends, but that worked out for us. The breakfasts really are nice, with fresh apple juice and jam from a local orchard, bread from a local bakery, cinnammon twists, etc.

The inn is set up like a motor court, but the owners have refurbished everything, so you get new floral sheets, carpets, wood crossbeam ceilings, lamps, painted walls,etc. I was afraid it would feel like a Motel 6, but was pleasantly surprised. It really was fun, and though it wasn't as cheap as I would have liked, it was the cheapest in the area and well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DieHardTraveler

Reviewed 30 January 2007

I traveled from Oklahoma to visit my son & his wife @ Navarrow Winery in Anderson Valley. The Anderson Valley Inn is certainly the least expensive of any establishment I could locate. It is also close to Navarro Winery, as well as all 50 plus winerys in the valley. The Inn is quaint and has been added on to over the years. My room was clean and very quiet. The inn keeper pleasant. There was no coffee available in the mornings, but the inn keeper did offer to make a pot of coffee around 8:30 if I wanted. My only complaint is that the room was not serviced everyday. It was disconcerting to come back to my room after a long day and have an unmade bed made and no fresh towels. (it appears they service everyother day) Anderson Valley is remote, most people come here to get away, so I should not have been surprised that there was not a television in the room, and only a few radio stations. But frankly after going all day, I was ready for bed anyway.

C. Wheeler
Edmond, OK

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank wheeler5160
Reviewed 13 October 2006

My husband and I just stayed at the Anderson Valley Inn. It was a lovely experience. The room was spotless, the sheets crisp, the blanket and feather comforter so welcome in the morning. Bob, the Innkeeper, is a gracious host and full of local lore about the surrounding area.Located across the street from Sharffenberger Vineyards and just up the way from Goldeneye Vineyards, it has a rustic charm and quiet beauty, which fits in with the rolling vineyards of the Anderson Valley. It is five miles south to Boonville, where most of the eateries are located, but it is a pleasant drive. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Meeg1012
Reviewed 23 August 2006

We called them 2 months ahead of our stay to make reservations. We were quoted a price for the rooms. When we checked in, our room price had gone up $25 each!!! We were told that because there was a beer festival that weekend the rates were higher. Unfortunately, all the other motels were sold out or were would have gone elsewhere.

The rooms were nice, but the stay was clouded because of the problem.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with friends
4  Thank wkb123
Reviewed 13 October 2005

Anderson Valley Inn is excellent for visiting nearby wineries, but it is a long drive from the scenic town of Mendocino (over 1 hour drive) and it's not really near Boonville either (10 min drive). It thus felt more like a stopover motor inn than a destination B&B. The rooms have been tastefully remodelled in a classic country inn style, with nice thick towels, cute bed linens and cedar chests, with books to read. No tv, telephones, CD/DVD players, coffee makers, or anything of that sort though. The biggest reason why I wouldn't return (other than for a stopover night on a long drive) is because there isn't a common lounge area or dining room. The rooms are a series of end-on-end cabins outside the main house which belongs to the innkeepers (and is private property). So, no cosy fireplaces to read by, no games to play. It does not serve meals so no dining rooms. In the mornings the innkeepers lay out in their yard a basic continental breakfast (organic juices, rustic breads, excellent homemade pastries) but there is nowhere to eat it except in the open air garden, very pleasant but the lack of a real "inn" feel makes this not a destination B&B. I would pay $60 a night for it but not the higher weekend/holiday rates.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank JJELLISON
Reviewed 29 August 2005

We drove through this hamlet on a weekend trip. The Anderson Valley Inn is right across from Scharffenberger Estates (the old Pacific Echo Cellars) and after a glass of sparking wine "Extra Brut" we walked across the intersection and checked into the last room available. We were greeted by Robert, the innkeeper, a jolly fellow who moved out here from San Francisco. We were surprised at the cleanliness and the comfort of the room and an all-new bathroom. Sufficient towels and soap, bottled water and reading material were waiting for us, as was a radio and alarm clock. The bed was comfortable and the next morning we were greeted by an unexpected breakfast which I understand he puts out on weekends in the front gardens. All the items originated in the Anderson Valley: tiny mini-croissants, three different kinds of toast, butter, three preserves (blood orange, raspberry and apricot) with coffee, tea and organic apple juice. Sitting under the shade of a big pine tree we listened to his stories. What a comfortable place, and an economic one, too. And I heard Robert saying "Thank you for staying with us" when his guests were leaving which is more than one can say for many hotels and inns. On the Website they have plenty of things to do arond Philo (we had the most pleasant walk to the Navarro River) but you could also just sit there at night watching kazillions of stars, or hang out at the inn's garden and read a good book.

5  Thank Wolfie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philo
Hampton Inn Ukiah
#1 of 3 in Albion
Heritage House Resort
Heritage House Resort
#2 of 2 in Little River

Been to Anderson Valley Inn? Share your experiences!