“worst cammping trip ever”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pioneer
Bear River Lake Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pioneer
Reviewed 10 September 2013

if your wanting to have a good time don't go there the owner there is rude and mean he makes up rules that are crazy like what time you have to be in bed at cant be outside past ten at night its not a place for kids I would not have this man around my young kids if you know what I am saying the place is full of big rats there rental boats leak so bad I though I was going to die I just cant stress enough to you not to go there this is not a good place to go to please pass this place up this is a place that wants your money but not you unless you have little ones please be careful there if you go not a safe place trust me ill never ever go there again run don't walk from this place

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
23  Thank bill e
There are newer reviews for Bear River Lake Resort

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Our first family camping trip was great... only because we were all together. Because of the need for electricity, we chose Bear River Campground. The pictures depicted a peaceful and clean campground. The scenery is beautiful! When we arrived, checking in was easy because one of our family members had already checked everyone in. But, since there was no phone service, we could not let the late arrivals know to just come on in. My dad drives an 35' motor home, and was assured that he would not have a problem getting into his sight. The problem is getting to the site. The roads are so rutted that bottoming out was impossible to avoid. Furthermore, the roads are so hard to detect because they are not taken care of or marked. The campsites that are right next to the river are fairly level. We had two at the bottom and two on the hill. We made it very clear how many people we had in our group, and nearly did not fit. The hill sites do not have any level areas for tents. Most disappointing is that about half of the campsites are for residents. Having residents at a campground makes it feel more like a trailer park rather than a true campground.
The store was very nice. The restaurant and bar are not open during the week which is not stated. The lake was low when we were there... so ask before you go. There are payphones but use only in an emergency - they are very expensive (about seven dollars for two minutes). The showers are old and dirty. The one bathroom near our site had two out of the three stalls out of order. The staff was okay... but one young man didn't seem to have proper customer service skills. The 4-wheelers were there, but very few during the week.
Overall, this is a very poorly kept campground. We had such a great time with our family, we will plan another family camping trip in a different location. No one in our party was even slightly impressed with Bear River Campground.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
15  Thank dhiggy
Reviewed 17 July 2012

To start... it it beautiful. But the people running the resort have decided to set up rules for camping i.e: 10pm quiet time... then let a frat party happen on Friday night until the party gave up at 2ish in the morning, took the complaints, didn't investigate....and then let the frat party escalate to mayhem on Saturday night until again 3ish. loud music, fireworks, loud random loud activity... very disrespectful to other campers. and the fishing is REALLY POOR! don't bother fishing until the lake gets drained! oh yeah, there are 3 Bears tearing up the camp sites at night, you might be told there is only one....but The "Bear Story" in our camp was a scary enough experience not to use a tent again there... ps: the bears break into cars and rock trailers too..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank familyfirstkindaDAD
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We have gone camping here twice and both times we really had a good time. It's great for kids, and dogs. Our dogs love to swim in the lake, and by sunset they were passed out in the back of my 4Runner. There's fishing, store on site - less than an hour drive to Tahoe.

Our 1st year, the water was pretty low around the shoreline, 2nd year the water was so high we couldn't figure out what happened to the boulders we sat on the prior year. It does get pretty chilly at night, just bundle up, short hair dogs might need a hoodie. Beautiful during the day and great hiking.

If you

We were too late in booking our spot for this year, so we will have to camp there again in 2013. This is really a good family camp ground. I wouldn't suggest bringing any bicycles and the ATV's are a bit much, but you can bring your own.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill W
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I camped at Bear River years ago, when my kids were little and always had a great time. I returned this past week after 12 years no longer with the kids and tents but a small popup and had an incredible time. Just decided my newly retired husband and I needed a hobby so we entered the store without any knowledge of fishing just two new poles and the taste for fresh fish. What we encounted was willing knowledgeable staff who were more than willing to take their time to enlighten two novices. We met great fishermen, always willing to help when the line got tangled or teach us the way to put those HUGE wiggly worms on the hooks. We did learn alot, how to cast and fishing doesn't always mean catching fish but enjoying the peace, beautiful scenery and talking to kind interesting people. The camp was great, clean and quiet at night. The reservationist, camp owner and staff were the best. Thanks we will be back soon

Room Tip: If possible look at the spot before you decide on the one, some are easier for pop-up tents and trai...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pasanelli
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Listen, this campground is noisy, atv's, dirt bikes rolling though the trails past our campsite all day and night... but it felt like one big party and we really enjoyed ourselves! Kids playing hide and seek in the evening, flashlights everywhere, screaming teenagers having a blast with their family and friends. Campfires, eating, drinkin, smokin, and having a ton of fun! There is fishing steps away from your site, or if you want a cocktail and a game of pool you could hit up the bar! Forgot everything? No worries, general store has it all, including this amazing salt/pepper/ceyenne pepper/garlic powder/cumin spice shaker all in one! Great gift for family members!! I cant wait to go again this summer! Oh yeah.. and each site has electrical outlets so bring some lights and really make your space cool!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Amber C
Reviewed 28 September 2011

How can I put it in proper words how awful this place actually is... We rented the "cabin" let me be clear here this is a single wide dumpy, dirty, rat infested trailer, propane leaking, no hot water trailer! The staff acts as though we are staying at the Ritz Carlton and treat their guest as lower class citizens, verbally assualting the guests quite often. The daughter who states she is there to help her parents out is actuallly the worst camp host I have ever encountered. She is a loud mouthed know it all drunk! They charge for everything they can possibly think of including having one of my guest sleep in my car because it was too cold to tent camp. They advertise a playground for the kids which consist of 2 swings one which was broken in half. The ATV's and golf carts drive around at all times leaving a huge trail of dust behind them. I would recommend pitching your tent under a bridge next to the river before this place!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
23  Thank H C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pioneer
Pioneer Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Pollock Pines
Lucinda's Country Inn
Lucinda's Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Fair Play

Been to Bear River Lake Resort? Share your experiences!