“Best fish and chips”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I ate here while on our way home from vacationing in Morro Bay. We ordered the fish and chips which were the best we have had so far. (and we have tried our share) My husband opted for the cole slaw and wow....sooooooo good!! We will for sure be going back on our next trip to Morro Bay.

1  Thank LovesMorroBay

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife and I had a meal there on a Tuesday evening last month. Once we were seated and had ordered it became blatantly apparent they were shutting for the evening. The whole thing was rushed with our main courses arriving about 3 minutes after our starters. Then the place started closing around us. Without exaggerating, I think we were in the restaurant for about 30 minutes total, but that's partly because the food was so bad as well.

Starters were mediocre, clam chowder and shrimp (they brought the wrong size, couldn't be bothered mentioning as the guy could barely understand my Scottish accent). We're British so we know what good fish and chips are. This was awful. The batter was loaded with pepper and something else that just tasted odd. Chips were soggy. Not cheap either. I'm surprised this place survives but then Pismo looks like a tourist town so maybe folk don't know better.

If you look at my reviews you will see I’m generally positive about places, but this place was dire. Avoid.

2  Thank UberSaint
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Local recommended to us; it was a nice family owned older restaurant; ordered the fish and chips to go. Fish was nicely cooked with good batter, but the fries a bit greasy. There are so many options for this dish, try others in the area.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Sorry fish & chips. My family and I have been coming for 25 years since we've lived here however the last time I came with family from out of town this past summer and I was left extremely put off and frustrated. The plan was to meet my family at the restaurant as I was coming from my place of work - I am a local lodging manager. They refused to seat all of us because I wasn't there. All it would have taken was for them to put ONE extra chair at the table for my arrival 15 minutes later, but I guess that was too complicated for the staff to figure out. They sat my family but only when my girlfriend agreed to not be seated. What? None of it made sense to me. I was so put off that I decided that it was better to NOT speak to the staff for the sake of their emotional well-being. They couldn't take care of a simple request and as a result, I will not be back to this establishment and I will never recommend it to my friends, family or hotel guests again.

1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed 25 October 2013

When I was writing a review on the Splash Cafe, one of the reviews said Pismo Beach Fish and Chips on Cypress St. was much better. So we made a point to try it the next time we were in Pismo. That was today. We must have visited on a bad day. My husband ordered the Oysters and Chips, HIS FAVORITE, and I ordered the Fish and Chips. (I got the one without batter and that only means it is breaded rather than battered) My husband said the Oysters tasted funny, and that is scarey, you can really get sick if you eat bad Oysters. So when the waiter/owner asked if everything was alright, I said mine is fine, but my husband thinks the Oysters tasted funny, he offered to bring him a two more Oysters, but my husband declined. He had a bite of each one and they were all bad, so he quit eating. The more I ate mine the more I realized it was way too salty, so I couldn't get the fish down either. So that was $30 down the drain, they did not offer to take anything off our bill, so we will never give them another chance. That is just plain bad business, and they say they have been in business for 50 years? Amazing! Like I said it must have been a bad day, but we shouldn't have to pay for a meal that tasted funny. Mine was probably fine to someone who is used to a lot of salt, I'm not. The atmosphere was bad too. Think we will give Splash Cafe another chance. Sorry Pismo Fish and Chips, had to tell the truth. You should at least offer to replace the meal or take it off the bill. That is just good business.

1  Thank dog_lover08