“Our most memorable stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kon Tiki Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pismo Beach
Kon Tiki Inn
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Belgium
“Our most memorable stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2008

We were on a round-trip coming from Santa Barbara, going to San Francisco, so just stayed here for one night. We took out the seating in our bedroom (canape) and it had both a relax for your feet. So we opened a bottle of wine, set the chair in front of the ocean view in our room and had the most magnificent sunset ever...

The beach is clean, the hosts are friendly. There is a laundry, ice-machine nearby.

If you're looking for a stay at the ocean for let's say 2-week holiday, then maybe you could pick something more luxureous, but I really loved it. Can't say anything bad of the place!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eleanor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Santa Maria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

This hotel/motel is the worst on the Central Coast. I stayed here with my wife and 2 kids and when we walked to the Front Desk, the girl acted like we were bothering her. She never smiled and obviously hated her job. The rooms look like something from the Bates Motel. The entire staff is rude and unwelcoming! The only good thing is that this run down hole in the wall is right next to the beach. We will never stay at the dump again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The entire property
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
12 Thank hotel2682
Riverside, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2008

We have stayed at the Kon-Tiki for years- my kids grew up loving this place. They enjoyed the proximity of the beach, the wonderful pool with the ocean view, walking out of our room to the manicured lawn, and the proximity of the hotel to rest of Pismo.

We had been a family of four, but recently become a family of
5- after years of loyalty, spending literally tens of thousands of dollars between my immediate family, and the families and friends who came with us, we were informed we were no longer welcome. Our crime? Our amazing trespass? My 3 year old daughter, our "5th" person, had caused us to break their "no more than four" rule. Our reservations were canceled, and the manager called to inform us we would be kicked out if we attempted to stay again.

This is how they treat their best costumers...how will they treat you?

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Hostile Staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
24 Thank cmarkerm
nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

This is a terrific spot right on the ocean with comfortable accomodations and a spectacular ocean view. Rooms are clean and spacious - you can't go wrong.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank nevadanancy
nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

I can't believe I stumbled onto this place! I was recently traveling on the road for biz and stayed in a different place every night for 2 weeks. I was tired of driving and just pulled into the Kon Tiki Inn. The price was $ 90 and the room was awesome! Quite large and the upper floor had a great view. Comfy bed, clean room, and I slept with the sliding patio door open to hear the waves crashing me to sleep. I had dinner at Steamers next door and that was also very enjoyable. The best chowder I've had in years! After all the flea bag places I stayed at this was a relaxing restful haven.

I was suprised to see all the renovation under way when I woke in the morning. There were many rooms undergoing a major renovation. When I checked out I commented to the owners what a great job they did on the reno in my room and that's when they told me it hadn't been renovated yet! The room was extremely clean and upkept. Everything here was perfect. The spa was hot and the the stairs down to the beach below will give you your morning exercise. Loved it!

• Liked — Large comfy room - even ahd a sofa
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank gdcom1
5pack
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

This hotel may have good reviews for a "typical" family, but if you are more than a family of 4, this is not the place for you!! We have three young children and were told that we would be required to purchase two rooms to accommodate our family. They will not allow more than four people in a room with two beds, even if the baby sleeps in a playpen or in the same bed with mom and dad! If we were to have stayed, we would have been spending close to $2000.00 for the 5 days we planned! I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past (before our third child) and this hotel is not nice enough to constitute that amount of money! It is a Motel 6 with an ocean view! The decor is old, and the carpets and drapes are stained. Also, the hotel staff is incredibly rude, always has been! When we were being told about the room situation, the Manager was the most condescending man I have ever come across. He spoke to us as if we were children. Due to our experience, I have been able to convince five family members to avoid this hotel (which is an annual trip for all of us). This hotel staff has convinced themselves that the customer is insignificant, and that we should consider ourselves lucky to be staying there.
Hopefully this review helps. There are plenty of nicer hotels in Pismo Beach that I know will accommodate families of 5 without trying to swindle more money from its customers!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank 5pack
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2007

Simply put, I think you will struggle to find a hotel that gives you more perfect views than the Kon Tiki. We used this hotel for a single night on our road trip from LA to San Francisco and it was exactly what we needed - cheap and clean.

The hotel itself is........ fine. It is clean, has a swimming pool and friendly staff. Nothing brilliant about the rooms. Except the views!! The hotel is right on the beach and all the balconies face the sea. And the sea is where the sun goes down. You have never seen anything like it - magnificent.

The only downside with our trip to Pismo Beach was with the town itself. Maybe it was the time of year we were visiting, but when we went out for a bite to eat (albeit at 9pm!) the place was dead and all the restaurants were shut. We ended up eating in a slightly run down diner on the main street - probably our worst meal in the US. Even the bars were shut!

In September, I'd stay at this hotel for a night or two, simply to experience the views (and to walk along the beach in the morning). More than that and the evenings could be a bit boring after sunset.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Pismo Beach itself
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple