All reviewssteamersathletic clubocean viewcontinental breakfastrestaurant next doorparking lotgreat viewnice poolwaffleshard boiled eggsheated poolonce a yearhear the waves crashingsand dollarsfirst floorlove this placeflat screen tv
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Kon Tiki Inn 4/22/14 for 2 nights. The front desk and staff was very friendly. We had a room on the 3rd floor. Rm 307. All rooms have a wonderful ocean view with beautiful sunsets (providing the marine layer stays offshore). The room was very clean, beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean with plenty of towels. Coffee maker, mini refrigerator. The 100+ step stairs from the beach back up to the hotel is challenging but makes the beach access very convenient. 5 stars for the free parking. There is extra spacing in between car. No door dings in this parking lot.
We will definitely come back to the Kon Tiki Inn.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dt51654
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I love the Kon Tiki. This is not a 5-star resort, it's a basic motel, but the reasonable price and outstanding view make up for just about anything. It's clean, comfortable, and all rooms have an ocean view. My (very rare) 5 bubble review is because I just couldn't bring myself to give it only 4. 4.5 is about right based on value.

Pros: View, price, clean, comfortable, pool, 2 hot tubs, nice lawn area with palm trees, free breakfast served in nice big room, free parking, free gym, friendly and efficient staff, easy walk to town and restaurants.

Cons: The pool towels are thin and small, and you have to go to the office to get them. As with every hotel/motel I stay in, they want us to re-use towels, but there are not enough towel bars to hang the used ones. I wish they would ditch the patterned bedspreads and go with the white sheet-type ones that seem cleaner and fresher. The breakfast is not outstanding; it's basic continental but fine for this type of place. You have to walk down a lot of steps to get to the beach, but that's part of what affords the great view!

1  Thank HLHCalifornia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at the Kon Tiki for only one night on my way up the coast and I wish I had stayed longer. Of my 3 hotels during this vacation Kon Tiki was by far the best! The price was more than reasonable, they offer so many amenities (i.e. amazing work out facility, free breakfast, FREE parking...); the location was close to many restaurants and the pier; the view was incredible; the staff was friendly and helpful... I could go on and on.

1  Thank Krista A
Reviewed 9 April 2014

After six weeks of travelling around CA, Utah and Arizona, we ended up at Pismo Beach for three days in October 2013. I had booked in advance (Couple with a 2 years old toddler).
All rooms have a seafront view. We got a room downstairs, so we let the sea front door open and let our toddler run around on the well kept green and palms. The pool is fenced, so in theory, a toddler can´t go in accidentally. But the garden ends on a steep cliff, where no fence is keeping childs off. So parents be careful. When you are lucky and no clouds hinder the view, you can sit on the chairs of the terrace/balcony and watch a beautiful sunset...
We didn´t use the pool, so I have no idea, if it is well kept.
You reach the beautiful beach over a quite steep staircase.
Breakfast is in a not very inspiring room without sea view. But it is rich and quite good, and even when coming quite late, staff was encouraging us, having a sit and they didn´t take away the food as we were sitting there.
Maid didn´t take the money, we left on the bed the first day, but left a note, telling us, she wasn´t allowed to take any money, if not instructed otherwise by written notice.

Rooms are not new, but kept well enough, to really feel comfortable. No bad odor, bathroom ok. Some dust on vent slots.

Room Tip: Buy a good beer in advance to watch the sunset. I recommend "Pacifico" Clara. It´s really good, even for German standards. :) With children take a room downstairs, so they can use the terrace door to go to the pool. When travelling without children, you might prefer a higher floor, to watch the sunset undisturbed. Anyway, all rooms seem to come with two chairs and a table on terrace/balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lereops
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed three nights here and visited nearby attractions. However, it was difficult to tear ourselves away from the magnificent ocean view and the large heated pool. One evening a hang glider buzzed our balcony as we sipped wine in anticipation of the sunset.
Although the furnishings are somewhat dated, the staff is super and the rooms are very clean

1  Thank Carolyn L