“Every room has an ocean front patio or balcony!”
Review of Kon Tiki Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pismo Beach
Kon Tiki Inn
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We wanted a place where we could wake up to the sights and sounds that can only be found with an ocean front room, and this was it! The hotel itself is modest, as are the rooms, but very clean. The grounds are well kept, the location is walking distance to town and restaurants, and the fitness center is well equipped. There are 109 stair steps (by my count) leading down the cliff to the beach. The challenge is coming back up! The price was far more in line with our budget than other properties we researched in Pismo. Kon Tiki only takes reservations by phone, and allows for a 48 hr cancellation without penalty.
We would stay here again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeavinVegas

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I want to write a bad review of this place so it is easier to get reservations. But I cannot do it and will have to make reservation earlier for next summer. We will go back to this hotel multiple times a year. It has everything we like. The rooms could use some updating, but they are spacious and have great sight lines of the ocean, sun set and are very clean, overall total package. Free parking and a great morning offering truly takes this hotel over the top. The front desk is AWESOME and truly knows how to meet your needs. I feel they took a page from Disney's book of how to treat guests. You can walk down the steps to the pier and you will be taken back to a small retro Cali beach town. If only there was a way to pipe in Beach Boys music........This hotel is simply great and continues to get better. Enjoy your stay and safe travels!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank airblue1
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I visited with my Parents over the summer and had an amazing time. The hotel is very beachy, laid back and casual, but so lovely and relaxing. Everyone is friendly and we could truly unwind. Lovely walks on the beach and a good pool. Right on the beach too!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Kon Tiki Inn is the best place to stay in Pismo Beach. Every rooms has a view and balcony. The staff has always been helpful. The breakfast room is always clean and someone is always there to help if needed. I will stay here everytime I get a chance!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane H
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a room on the far end of the third floor. The view from the balcony was gorgeous. The beach was never crowded. We found our stay very relaxing.

Upon check in, the gentleman at the front desk was courteous enough; however, he didn't mention that breakfast was available in the mornings. I saw that it was via the television our room. I also looked at the map in the hotel binder and saw where the breakfast room was.

Other than that, our stay was just about perfect. We had food delivered from Rosa's Italian Restaurant, and we picked up bread pudding from the nearby Steamers restaurant. It was delicious. Check out was quick, and the people were all very nice.

Breakfast was simple. I didn't expect a hot breakfast, so it was sufficient. The lady who was in charge of the breakfast room, cleaning up and restocking items, was extremely helpful. She was wonderfully friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room towards the middle if you want a good view of the sunset from the balcony. Wh...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderingtrtl11
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've stayed at Kon Tiki five times. My [now ex-] wife's family would hold their reunions at the hotel because it is roughly midway between LA & San Francisco, and as much as I couldn't stand being around her family, I was glad to go because I knew that sitting on my room balcony looking at the huge beach and endless blue ocean I would be so relaxed that nothing could bother me. The Central Coast of California is absolutely gorgeous but, if you insist on staying in luxury digs, it is not the place for you. This is because there are no luxury places between Santa Barbara and Big Sur, the latter of which which has only Ventana and Post Ranch Inn, both wonderful but amazingly-expensive. So just relax and enjoy much more simple, no-frills places that sit on bluffs overlooking the blue Pacific and you will not want to leave. Kon Tiki is just such a place, with one long 4-story building where all rooms are essentially the same, reasonably large, very clean and nice balconies with perfect views overlooking the ocean and a huge beach that is accessed by a very long stairway. The first-floor rooms have patios that flow onto a large lawn, with several walkways and a nice swimming pool, so you can sit around the pool and be looking out to the ocean. You cannot ask for better beach/ocean views. You can walk for a long way on the very wide beach, including several hundred yards to the south to the town's old-fashioned pier and some good super-casual restaurants that serve local clams and very fresh seafood. The hotel has no special amenities, but its location beckons you to take a long, leisurely walk on the broad beach or just sit on your balcony for hours sipping coffee or wine, reading and just loving being right at the ocean with no noise or visual obstructions, only the waves breaking below and the sea gulls. It is a great place to get away from either LA or the San Francisco Bay Area for a long weekend or, even better, a mid-week getaway. If you are not the type that can just chill, but you feel the need to get out and do something, you are near lots of great places that are all 20-30 minutes away at most, including San Louis Obispo to the north, Morrow Bay to the north and west [with a fabulous state park where you can hike forever in total isolation], and some great sand dunes south of Oceana. There is golfing just minutes away, eclectic restaurants, quality wineries, farmer's markets and much more. Kon Tiki is a perfect base for any of these activities. The only thing you won't like is having to leave your balcony to drive home. but you'll feel OK, because you'll know that some day you are returning. Just writing this review has me wishing sooo much that I was there this very moment.

Room Tip: I always get a third-floor room and, if in winter [when the sun is south of the equator] I get a roo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mediatordave
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just stayed for one night, travelling from San Francisco to Santa Monica, but couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. We are a family of 4 from the UK, and the room & beds were huge, with all the facilities you could need. Wonderful views of passing dolphins and whales. We eat at Steamers next door - great meal at a very good price. Very friendly staff and lovely breakfast included, which set us up for our day of travelling the following day! Highly recommend to all!

Room Tip: All rooms have fantastic views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family