“Big and roomy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Bergen, Norway
“Big and roomy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Great sized room, suited for the whole family! This is a good maintained property and not the typically sun-faded run-down places you usually find so near the coast-line. We only stayed there for one night but we will gladly come back for more!

Room Tip: Book early and get a room with a view to the ocean!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. We enjoyed welcoming your family to our hotel property. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This place is wonderful for families. The rooms are spacious (which was needed for our party of 4 with growing teens), well appointed and clean. Quite nice actually.

THE BAD: We struck out on room locations. In reading online reviews prior to booking very little is said of the freeway noise. Well...it was a HUGE issue for us as it was exceptionally loud at night. The hotel staff, who are fantastic, changed our room. Great. Finally a good night sleep. Well...the room they changed us too had an issue as well (and... apparently a known issue). While there is no AC at this Inn the heater (which we did not use) had some sort of line issue. If you have ever had an MRI...well...that's what the knocking noise sounded like...all night long. The staff was GREAT. They tried to "bleed" the line. They knew exactly what the issue was. Bleeding the line did not work. It turned into a family joke. We would "rock/paper/scissors" to see who the "loosers" were that had to sleep in the bad room that night. We definitely had a sleepless 4 nights.

THE GOOD: The room space, decor and cleanliness are wonderful. The staff were all exceptional. The grounds are perfect for families and sport an activities deck with ping pong, badminton, chess/checkers, & a few holes of mini golf. Decent pool, mini fitness center and a great space for breakfasts (which had something for everyone).

MY TIPS: If you can do with a King in one room and a pullout queen sofa in the other then ask for the ocean view bank of rooms. It's the only quiet wing and the view is wonderful! If you are at all bothered by freeway noise...insist on NOT being put on the wing that fronts the freeway (it is literally right outside one of the rooms and is noisy).

Hotel Staff: Again, they were wonderful from start to finish. They were also honest and disclosed that they knew we were being moved from one problem room to another problem room. They had hoped the bleeding of the line would do the trick or not bother us as much as the freeway noise. They offered us a third room but the spacing did not work for our family but we appreciate them offering it to us.

All said - I would stay here again if I could be guaranteed the ocean front wing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bodie2008
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry that we weren't able to fix the noise problems that you were experiencing. We appreciate the good attitude as we were trying to alleviate the problem for you. I'm happy to hear that the staff treated you well and that you had a great experience otherwise. Thank you for staying with us and I am happy that the family had a good time enjoying the extensive choices of family activities. If you feel in any way you were not properly compensated for your noise issues please contact me directly.
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a 3rd floor suite as part of our honeymoon tour of the West Coast USA . The suite was lovely and huge. The balcony overlooked the ocean and we were able to stand on the balcony, enjoying the wine the hotel left for us, watching Whales playing in the sea outside.

We were also lucky that, although we hadn't planned it, it was the Pismo beach car show the weekend we were there. Which was an excellent show.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
erikmund, General Manager at Pismo Lighthouse Suites, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Congratulations on your wedding! We are so happy that we got to be a part of your honeymoon tour. The show the whales have been putting on lately has been nothing short of spectacular and I am happy to hear that you got to enjoy them. Congratulations again and we hope to see you soon!
Dungeness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here a couple of time and I think this place is lovely. The rooms are huge. There were only two of us in a two bedroom suite and the price is very reasonable considering where you are and what you are getting. You are just out of town which is nice but in a great location to look down over the sandy beach or watch dolphins just off the coast. The breakfast room is perhaps a touch twee for the number of rooms but that's just being picky. The staff are friendly and helpful and I look forward to coming back as soon as I can.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 143Beck143
Thank you for visiting us again. We are so happy you were able to enjoy the dolphins. If you need any assistance with future reservations please let us know!
Tracy, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our family of 5 had an enjoyable spur-of-the moment Spring Break weekend in Pismo Beach March 2014. Pismo Lighthouse Suites was perfect for our family. Easy, friendly check-in. My children enjoyed fresh, home made cookies the receptionist doled out at check-in. Great first impression! Then we got to our room! Room 3301 is by far the best room in the house!!! 3rd floor, corner 1 bdrm/2bath suite with sitting area, balcony, oceanview, bright, airy, comfy beds, linens, ample storage, kitchenette with coffeemaker...spotless....it was a short walk down the path to the beach (but lots of stairs...renovated but still steep...be careful), swimming pool and hot tub were on the other side of the building...with nice supply of beach towels and lounge chairs, included continental breakfast across the parking lot and the hotel is centrally located between Avila and Pismo Downtown....and a short drive to Oceano Dunes! The only negative? Pull out couch mattress was a nightmare to sleep on...When we return, we will definately stay here again...but we'll ask for a roll-away if the pull out couch hasn't been updated.

Room Tip: Higher the better; spring for oceanside/oceanview; ask for corner suites for most windows/light
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mama_of_3Boyz
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that the sofa bed wasn't to your satisfaction. We do use memory foam sofa mattresses but we will research the mechanism below if for the room you specified. It was a pleasure to read about the great experience that you had and we will have the cookies waiting for your next visit.
Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, we only stayed here for one night, but we loved this place and hope to return soon. The front desk staff was polite enough, but I have one small gripe and it may sound petty, but it irked me enough that I remembered it, so I'll mention it. When we walked in to check in, I noticed there was a bowl on the counter, filled with microwaveable bags of popcorn that had a sign on it reading "$1.00", I also saw several small white paper bags that appeared to contain cookies, but I assumed they cost money as well, so I didn't ask. After checking in and getting settled in our room, I read something (I don't remember if I read it on my iPad or on something that was in the room, but the source is irrelevant) that stated. "Free cookies at check-in". This bothered me because why wouldn't they offer? There were three of them standing there doing nothing, and I was there with my wife and two small children. CHILDREN!!! Who likes cookies more than kids???!!! Anyway, like I said, it may sound petty, but I thought it would have been nice if they had offered, because it wasn't like there was a sign that read "please take a complimentary cookie".

So, onto the room. When we walked in, we were really happy at the brand new, clean feel the place had, especially compared to the Best Western Plus Beach Resort in Monterey, where we had checked out of a couple hours before. I headed straight for the balcony to check out our view, but as I approached, I could see a large palm tree obstructing a good portion of our ocean front view. I called the front desk and asked if they had another room like ours and told them I wasn't crazy about the palm tree in our way. The gentleman was quick to say it wasn't a problem and that he would move us. I went to the front desk, switched keys and grabbed some free cookies, which were pretty good.

Again, this was a quick stay, but the place is super clean and right on the ocean. Can't ask for too much more than that (except the offering of cookies).

Just remember to get an oceanfront room AND make sure you ask at check in, if there are any trees obstructing the view, if so, get one with an unobstructed view.

We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Shawn M
Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am so sorry to hear that you weren't offered any complimentary cookies at check in. We definitely should have made the effort to do that. Due to food allergies a lot of the time the staff can be hesitant to offer. I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and that the staff was able to accommodate your request to relocate suites. We hope to see you back again!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have stayed at the Lighthouse suites many times but my favorite is the oceanfront suite. It is spacious and has a view you can not beat. I can't think of a better place to stay when you go to the central coast. the rooms are clean and the grounds are very well kept.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcy V
Thank you for staying with us Marcy. We hope to see you on your next trip down here to the Central Coast.