“great views/room/breakfast”

Pismo Lighthouse Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 27 May 2009

just left this hotel and had a wonderful room very spacious ocean view king which had a large bedroom and ensuite for us and a spacious lounge/kitchenette/bathroom with a double sofa bed and rollaway which was perfectly comfortable for our 3 young children. There are even bigger two bed suites but they were all taken when i booked. Breakfast choice was better than most and the waffle maker is indeed popular with all guests. Highlight of the holiday was seeing whales from our balcony - obviously this was just a lucky call do not book your accommodation dependent on the whale watching as we spent many hours looking after the first night's view and did not see anything again. Finally far enough from the seaside town to be quiet but close enough if you like this type of thing (Pismo seemed very Newquay Cornwall ish to us) Also close to Premier Outlet if you like to shop.

tips; best rooms 3rd floor ocean view room preferably end of units, get there early for seat at breakfast as oudoor area can be chilly, take own cutlery, bottle opener and plates as none provided, take binoculars

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 22 May 2009

I went to Pismo for two nights to make some plans and pick a place to stay for myself and members of my family for later this year, for a wedding in Pismo Beach. As soon as we stepped in the door we were delighted with the suite. It's very large and could not be more comfortable. We are a couple but four people could easily stay in each suite.

An unexpected extra was the nice, free breakfast. Usually I'm not thrilled with continental breakfasts but this one includes a waffle maker so you can make your own hot, fresh waffles in a couple of minutes.

There's covered parking and free wifi, both of which we appreciate. The location is great as it is walking distance from the village. There is a guest laundry - not that I used it but I like knowing it's there, as I expect we'll return for a longer stay.

I was so happy with this place that I booked four more suites for the weekend of the wedding. They give me a great price for doing that, too.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I stayed at the hotel for only one night with family in from out of state. I booked one of the rooms with the two bedrooms for privacy, but not one of the ocean front rroms since we were not going to be there long. I was very surprised and happy that I still had a nice view of the ocean from my non-ocean front room. The rooms are a nice size and the hotel appeared to have activities to keep kids busy. The steps to the beach were a couple of hotels over and I felt funny going through their properties to get there, but the beach was peaceful and uncrowded which was nice. The breakfast was also a nice plus, and have no complaints about it. If I ever drive back up the coast I will definately be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2009

It was our 20th wedding anniversary so we decided to take a trip to Pismo Beach where we honeymooned all those years ago. After reading reviews on the Lighthouse Suites we made reservations for 3 nights using our AAA discount. We remembered the hotel as the Whaler's Inn 20 years ago but they have renovated since then. The room had a great beach view ( nice hearing the ocean waves all day) and was clean and quiet. After telling the manager about our anniversary they sent a bottle of wine to our room. The hotel is a short drive to wine country and some fine dining establishments are plentiful. We plan on coming back later this summer and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2009

My husband and I stayed in an oceanfront king room on a Sunday night. We requested an uppermost room when we made the reservation and our request was granted. The room was as described on the website and very very clean and quiet. Having a sitting room and bathroom separate from the bedroom and the other bathroom makes it very comfortable for people who wake up at different times. The balcony was very private and provided an incredible view. The breakfast offerings included the boiled egg, cereal, bagels, muffins, danish, fruit, waffles, coffee, etc. The staff were very friendly and courteous. We will definitely stay here again when we visit family near Pismo.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Pismo Lighthouse rooms are all two bedroom, two bath rooms with very comfortable beds, clean rooms, and a door in between the rooms that can be locked for parent privacy or kept held open. The hotel is away from the party atmosphere of the Pismo Pier area and is geared for families. (This means it is also away from the downtown shopping and most restaurants). There is a nice, free, help-yourself breakfast offered with fruit, cereal, waffles, and hard-boiled eggs (the breakfast area is crowded in the morning). There is a nice pool and hot-tub area. There is also a gym.
The hotel has beach access via a path and steep stairway that took my family, with a four-year-old, about 10 minutes to walk. The pier is about another 25 minute walk down the sandy beach.
We have stayed several times at the Lighthouse (and most other Pismo hotels). I think the Lighthouse is the best value right now in Pismo. The rooms are very nice but priced the same as lesser hotels that are closer to the beach. If you don’t mind a gorgeous walk to the beach, along with a cold walk back after playing in the water, the Pismo Lighthouse is the place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Bignastysr
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Stayed at the Pismo Lighthouse Suites from April 7th-April 10th 2009. I chose this hotel based on the reviews I read on this site, and based on the location.

First off, let me say this hotel was fabulous! Overall - very excellent choice. If you are wondering which hotel to pick for your stay in Pismo Beach, here are a few Pros & Cons to make your choice easier. Although, the Pros, in my opinion, out weigh the Cons - its always good to know the inside track.

Pros: Location! This hotel is located on a cliff overlooking the beach. Although, most hotels boast that they have ocean views, this hotel, is actually on the edge of a cliff. Ocean view rooms literally overlook the beach below and are not set far back, like most of the other larger properties in the same vicinity. There is beach access via a wooden stair case to the left of the property. You pass 3 or 4 other timeshare/condo/hotels and take the wooden stairs down to the beach below. For those with walking restrictions, this might be a concern, as the stair case is somewhat steep and narrow. However, my 60 year mother was able to clear the many steps, no problem. If you take it slow, you should have no problem, and this is coming from someone who is scared of heights. Once you get down to the beach, its about a mile walk to the Pier, but the sand is flat, so walking is relatively easy and fast.

The Room itself was furnished nicely with 2 25' TV's, comfy furniture, a microwave, mini-fridge, and small sink. We stayed on the 3rd floor, which is the highest, in 3303, Ocean View 1 bedroom suite. There were 4 of us in the room, 2 in the king bed, and 2 on the sofa bed. Room was big enough that we did not feel crowded at all. There were two bathrooms, so we were all able to shower easily, w/o having to share. They used Bath & Body works shampoo/lotion/soaps, so that was a very nice touch, as well. Overall, our ocean view suite was clean, comfortable, and spacious, great for up to 4 people.

Cons: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor, as the walls are VERY thin. You will feel footsteps and door slams, but only on occasion. If we would have had someone above us, it would have been annoying, but with no one above us, it wasn't too bad feeling the occasional heavy stepper in the hallway. We had neighbors our last night, so we could hear their TV, but luckily they didn't stay up long. I'm sure if it had been louder, the front desk would have put a stop to it. Also - although they offer a FREE continental breakfast, get there when they open @ 7:00 am, because the longer you wait, the more food that will be wiped out, and the more crowded it will become. There is nothing like free food to cause a riot. If you want a more substantial breakfast, try "Peggy's American Cafe" up the street on Price. Cheap prices and good food. One last thing, we stayed 2 nights on the sofa bed, and I must say, the sofa bed wasn't great. My back hurt a bit the second night, so if you have a bad back, spend the extra money and get the 2 bedroom suite or sleep on the bed. The sofa bed is more for kids or teenagers.

If you don't mind thin walls or cheap sofa beds, the suite is WELL worth the money. The view alone pays for the room! The access to the beach and the free continental were just icing on the cake. Do yourself a favor, request an upper room when you make the reservation, but rest assured, you will have a GREAT time @ the Pismo Lighthouse Suites. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family