“The worst hotel in the US (in my experience)”
Review of Pismo Beach Hotel

and 1 more site!
Pismo Beach Hotel
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 26 November 2007

In a word: Craptacular. And, we were charged $150 a night!!!
I can appreciate old beach town charm, but this hotel was the pits for accommodations and service.

Accommodations: The room smelled, the blankets smelled, the carpet was soiled, the towels must have been 10 years old, there was no tv remote, just one small wall heater, so small one person had to get on the bed for a person to pass, one tiny closet with only 3 hangers, mold stains on the bathroom ceiling.

"Service" (in quotes): There is NO STAFF at this hotel between 10 pm and 8 am!!!!!!! We are in the 21st century, and this isn't a charming little b&b. This is a regular hotel, where the staff just leaves you for the entire night! Toilet broke? Tough. Loud neighbors? Tough. Your card key decides not to work at 11:20 pm? Tough! We didn't even get an aplogy for the key card.

The person at the front desk is probably about 20. Responsible for checking in, checking out, complaints, preparing the continental breakfast (meager selection of dried pasteries and weak coffee), etc, etc.

Please do NOT waste you money!!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank MILENAOHARA

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 June 2006

I booked 3 rooms at this hotel for my graduation in April when I was told the price would be $605 plus taxes. I tried to pay for it there but the attendant refused and would not give me a print out of the charges, just a confirmation number saying I can't pay until check-in. The day before my parents were to check in, I called to get the final price that included the taxes and they told me $967. I was livid and talked to the manager who said that one of the rooms I booked was actually $285 and not $149 like her employee had said and that she would talk to him. I was not allowed to cancel and did not even get an apology for their mistake. The only thing they did was add this particular room to their printed price list and allow me to get a slightly cheaper room.

My father is disabled so the manager switched me to another apartment ($225 a night) that had it's own designated spot outside of the door. Both nights we were there somebody parked in our specific spot which was a burden on my father who cannot walk far as we had to park across the street. The second night the person did not have a hotel tag on their car so we told the hotel as there is a sign saying that management would have cars towed. They refused to tow the car even though they knew our situation and the car had no hotel permit and made no effort to find the owner. When we were checking out, we tried to talk to management again and were told "Oh they already know about the situation and will probably send you a voucher or something." Management has yet to return my calls and I have yet to receive a voucher or hear a word about rectifying this situation. I wish I had listened to the warnings of other reviewers so I hope you will pay attention to mine.

• Stayed: June 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2006

My husband and I stayed the night at the Pismo Beach Hotel which is connected to "Harry's" pub. We wanted to be able to enjoy the pub and then be within walking distance of our hotel. So the Pismo Beach Hotel was perfect! The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. It is a older building so the bathroom was very small. And you will hear street noise if you are on a lower floor. We would stay there again but I would probably stay somewhere else if I take my kids.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank Dayna M
Reviewed 24 August 2005

Unfortunately we did not have the same experience as others. First, for the price it was not exactly what we were expecting when given the description of a Jacuzzi Suite. I agree with the "smell" in the rooms, it made our stay very difficult to enjoy. The blankets given to our kids for the sofa sleeper were much to be desired. It seemed that there was some construction going on the outside courtyard, which had advertised with pictures a shopping gallery. The bathroom was small & between the two rooms w/one exit door if anyone needed to leave & someone was in the shower you were stuck. We did enjoy "Papa Joe's" coffee house & free continental. Hard to find help at the front desk and the phone in our room did not work or have any directions for use. The bar next door also plays live music very loud late at night-at least on our side of the hotel. I don't believe we will be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver
Reviewed 19 December 2004

Loved the art display

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 November 2004

I live in San Francisco and my girlfriend lives in LA. We decided to meet in Pismo for the weekend b/c it looked like a nice mid-way point. For the dollar, the Pismo Beach Hotel is hard to beat. Our room was spacious, the bed was comforable, the wood-burning (gas) stove was charming and the ocean view was excellent. My only complaint about the room was the stained carpet. The hotel is old, but the restoration and care is obvious. The brick work and the rose garden along side and behind the hotel are beautiful. The front desk wasn't overly friendly, but was efficient. Interaction was minimal. The town of Pismo is pretty interesting. Absolutely dead at night (as soon as the sun went down), but it was Oct. 30 so summer's over. The beach and pier are top notch, as our the views. We also discovered that we were only 10-15 minutes from 15 terrific vineyards. We'll definitely be back to the Pismo Beach Hotel.

11  Thank Matt&Elana
Visalia,California
Reviewed 26 June 2004

We had a wonderful experience in this hotel. We were within walking distance of Pismo's top rated resturaunts, shops, and boardwalk.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member