“Great motel on PCH”

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great motel on PCH”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stopped off at this motel while travelling from San Francisco to Los Angeles on the Pacific Coast Highway. Bob was the hotel manager we met and he was most helpful. The rooms were clean and very well equipped. The choice at breakfast was more than we expected and just what we needed - I particularly enjoyed the waffles.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fresno, California
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here with my wife and two kids (ages 4 and 2). We couldn't afford a $200+ room per night, but we didn't want to stay in a nasty place either. Ocean Palms was clean, simple, and a good location for a great price! We got a room with two beds. It's nothing fancy and was on the small side. With two kids the mini fridge and microwave were very useful. Clean beds, floors, bathroom, basically whole room was very clean (I am a germaphobe, so that clean is on the top of my list of what I look for). No air in our room, but a cool breeze goes right through the room at night. Gets plenty cool (and I'm the guy who cranks the air up in hotel rooms). Nice flat screen tv that the kids enjoyed. Room is small, no table so eating in the room can be a little challenging, but no big deal. We didn't spend much time in the room anyways. The kids loved it. Location is great. Took only a few minutes to walk to the beach. The owner is very nice. Very small continental breakfast, I didn't eat from it but the kids loved their muffins.

Bottom line, you can stay in one of those fancy places with the patio facing the ocean and empty your bank account, or you can save your money and walk a few minutes to the boardwalk and sit right in front of them. Same view, less money. My wife and I joked that if we had an expensive room facing the ocean we would feel like we have to sit there the whole time to get our moneys worth! lol This place met all our needs. We will stay there again.

Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Great location and very affordable. Within easy walking distance from the beach, pier and downtown. The owner was very courteous. We had room 1 and it was very spacious and clean. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Visalia, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is a decent place to stay, that's affordable and very clean. I felt a little crowded in the room, but that was OK. I was happy to have a very clean room everyday. The staff was friendly. It's really close to Hwy 101, so it's easy to find. All the hotels were booked, so this is how we ended up here. I was pleased and I would go back. It's a convenient location for walking to restaurants and to the beach.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This is a nice hotel in a fantastic location. Right off the 101 in pismo beach, near restaurants, shops and the sea front. We had room 9 on the ground floor. Clean, spacious, comfy. The bathroom was nice. Could have done with air conditioning as it was a warm day and night but we felt safe to have the windows open. The pool is lovely especially when it's sunny!

Breakfast was a nice added bonus with waffle batter and iron to make your own waffles, and plenty of fresh coffee.

We appreciated having a fridge and microwave in the room too.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Nevada City, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My three kids (ages 14, 9 & 7) and I stayed here for one night in August. I wish we would have stayed for two! For the price, it was perfect for us. When traveling with kids, I insist on the following:

~Mini Fridge, Microwave, coffe maker ----check!
~Pool ----- Check!
~Walking distance to something cool (in this case, the BEACH!) - - - Check!
~Reasonable rates - - Check!

Now, don't get me wrong here. This is not high end or fancy-schmancy. If you want high end, ocean views with room service or a whirlpool tub, this is not it. But is was PERFECT for our family! In fact it looks fairly ho-hum from the outside. The lobby attendant/owner, Bob, was very helpful and professional. The rooms are not large but the bathroom was nice, the beds were comfy and it was clean and quiet. The decor was updated, not dingy or old. The big, flatscreen TV was nice (we don't watch much tv but the Olympics were on) and the kids enjoyed it. We did not use the pool because we were at the beach but it looked nice enough.

They do have a few breakfast things in the lobby - cereal and that weird waffle maker thing. A little less than I expected but not even close to being a big deal. It didn't matter to us because we had our own cereal and milk in our room. Again, YAY for mini fridges!

The hotel is within a ten minute walk to the beach/pier/shopping/eating. Kids loved it! Short drive to Avila Beach (go on the Seaweed Express - you will not regret it!! So fun!) Easy to find off the 101.

Overall, clean, quiet, affordable. Without a doubt, I would stay here again. What more do you want???

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We never stay at motels as your first thought is always some run down shabby room crawling with bugs Yet we took a chance as our choices were limited on short notice. You will not be disappointed, the rooms smelled fresh & clean, newly painted with comfortable bedding, clean microwave/frig/carpet and granite bath counter top/showers. it's also a short walk to the pier and beach and is easily accessible to the 101. For breakfast you can make your own mini waffles, along with dry cereal and mini muffins. The weekend rates compared to the week day rates was a little high, but what isn't in Pismo Beach on the weekend. Our family will back next time we drive through and I'll be spreading the word of this little gem near the beach.

Room Tip: The king size beds leave little walking room between the dresser and bed as the rooms are small. Nex...