“OK place”

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Phoenix, AZ
“OK place”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel itself is decent. Looks like they have fairly new windows, which really helped reduce the noise. The room I had and the whole property seems to be in pretty good shape. The Pismo Beach Pier and a variety of food options are in easy walking distance. Breakfast at the hotel was sparce offerings - coffee, juice, what looked to be waffle batter to DIY, typical danishes, and some really awful (IMHO) muffins. But at least they provide some breakfast food! Also their pool area looked pretty nice.
Even though the place is along a busy street and just off the 101 freeway, there wasn't as much traffic noise as I expected. There was just sounds from monster trucks and motorcycles (which I absolutely don't mind).
On the downside, there is a trailer park a block over. Not sure if it's always like this, but there seemed to be a redneck/religious-conservative convention in Pismo Beach. Lots of lifted trucks with union jack flags. While I was walking to the pier I got to experience the joy of a passenger of one of those trucks lean out the window and shout "Die f*g!". Lovely.
Needless to say, I didn't spend much time out and about, so enjoyed the in-room fridge to keep my beer from the liquor store down the street cold, the microwave to heat up the sub I got at Subway next to the liquor store, free wifi, and cable TV that includes HBO.
If I were to ever return to Pismo Beach (which I doubt I ever will), I'd totally consider Ocean Palms again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tk_az

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 26 August 2013

If you're on the road travelling up or down the PCH then this motel is all you need to crash for the night and eat a free breakfast of muffins, tea or coffee before getting behind the wheel again.

Free wifi, clean and comfortable enough rooms, its fine for the price and if you really want, there's even a swimming pool.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cathedral City
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My second stay here in 10 years. Great Bed, somewhat noisy and very friendly staff. Although
I brought in my discount card for $65 a night +taxes and they said they don't accept them anymore. Quoted me $150 but said he'd give me the room for $95+.
Not sure I got any deal.
And there isn't any bath towelsl! Only hand towels & face cloths. Try drying off with those after a morning shower.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else..
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 2tll4u2013
oakhurst, CA
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nites in late July. This motel is quite dated, with a miniscule bathroom, towels the size of a diaper, skinny teeny bar of soap, and no shampoo. Bed was adequate, pillows terrible. On the plus side, the room was very clean, but certainly no bargain for $100/nite. A small notch above Motel 6-next time we'll spend more and get some amenities

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thefoxy100
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My friend and i stayed here one night while driving up the coast. The location was great, it was right next to the 101. Our room and bathroom were very clean and the bed was comfortable. The place in general is well maintained. They had a very good free breakfast in the morning (pastries/coffee/waffles). Plus, the owner was very friendly and helpful as well. I'm glad we stayed here. It was just what we needed after a long day of driving. We'll be staying here again when we're driving up the coast next time!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank T S
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Don't let the 4.0 rating fool you. This facility is a nice independent budget hotel, not an upscale hotel at all. Hotel was clean and well maintained. Take your own soap and shampoo. Wafer-thin soap bar only good for one shower. Towels small and thin. Bed comfortable, but pillows rather hard. Old style bedspread that we removed immediately and chucked in corner. We suggest losing the '70's bedspread. Breakfast is just pastries and cereal. Would consider as a second choice again if nothing else available in Pismo Beach. Room rate on a Friday night was way too high for this type facility, but nothing else available at the time. A good one night choice in my opinion. In the center of Pismo action and close to Hwy 101 access.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I needed a place to stay for 9 days. The challenge I faced was finding accommodation in the SLO/Pismo area that accepted pets. Finally I came across Ocean Palms and gave the motel a call. Immediately I was struck by Bob's patience and thoroughness in answering all of my questions, helpfulness and honesty in helping me book the best deal -- and yes, they accept pets! When I showed up a month later to check in, Bob actually came out to the parking lot to meet my bird, greeting him by name. We felt welcomed the day we checked in until the day we checked out. The motel itself was extremely clean, seemingly recently remodeled (at least the room I stayed in -- don't remember which it was, though, sorry!), and I enjoyed being in the bathroom (rare for a motel). The staff payed excellent attention to detail: towels were clean, soft, and white, all toiletries/towels/coffee, etc. was replaced daily. Sizeable, comfortable room. All this came at a huge surprise considering how affordable the stay was. Also, I needed maintenance at 1AM, rang the bell at the office (ring just once! It's very loud and wakes up the owners), and Bob immediately came out and tended to the matter. I felt really bad, but the problem couldn't wait and they fixed it right away. I think they serve a simple breakfast (pastries, waffle maker, juice, coffee, etc.) in the office, but I never went. There are several coffee shops within a minute walk, and walk about a minute beyond that and you're at the pier. Great place, great location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business