“Incompetent Staff Detract from Experience”

The Inn at the Cove
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 28 January 2008

The grounds and the room at the Best Western Shelter Cove were all as we expected. It is a beautifully situated hotel, with plenty of amenities. Good base for a stay in the area, and we liked the breakfast offerings.
Our problems were with the staff there.
The cleaning staff removed a completely full bag of groceries from the room, and discarded it. Since we like to have healthy food for snacking while we travel, this was a real setback for us. All our organic dried fruit, nuts, crackers & peanut butter were trashed. while we were given a $20 credit for the missing food, we did not have access to stores where we could replace that food, and so it was a real hassle for us. (Also, the value of what was removed was more than $20, but I didn't have the receipts with me)
The second problem was really one that I generated, but they fell apart in customer service at their end. I had left a phone charger in the room. They told me that they had found it in the room, and that it would be shipped to me, at my expense, the following day. So far so good. But for over 2 weeks, I did not receive the phone charger. the company who handles their shipping said they never got it. i was unable to find anyone at the hotel who could tell me what had happened to it. As of now, it has just disappeared.
The lack of responsibility on their part was irritating to me. I have made many long distance phone calls trying to resolve this; the staff did not return my calls. It was a very bad ending to an otherwise fine vacation.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank zeytinlari
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed 2 January 2008

I found that this was a good value for the price given the great views one gets from every room on the property.

The check-in was flawless and professional.

One thing I notice about the motel is that it's laid out in a way that you don't see a lot of other guests ...so it feels fairly private which is something I really value in my accomodations.

I rented a lower level room , and in the future I would probably pay extra for the upper level. The reason being that the people above were quite heavy footed. Also, it was an adjoining room. This is something I don't care for as I did hear the alarm going off in the next room.

Yes there is some highway noise during the day, but it's in the opposite direction from where the rooms face. I personally don't mind highway noise and would take it over city street noise any day.

And it was no problem to turn on the air and drown out the noise.

Both internet and parking were free.

This motel has great trails right along the cliffs and really great views which really is some of the most spectacular scenery in the US. I think it's well worth a visit for anyone who appreciates scenic views at a moderate price.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2007

We were there for a wedding. It was a wonderful site for a ceremony overlooking the Pacific. The reception was next door at a restaurant. The hotel and restaurant really did a fine job. We were with 3 teenagers so a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the ocean was wonderful. The room was clean and the staff were nice. You can run for many miles along the beach. We had a nice visit and would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2007

This hotel is really about the view. Also, take the stairs down to the small beach, it's interesting. We stayed upstairs, which means more highway noise but a better view. The room was fine, large enough and clean enough for us. They tried to put us in a room over the pool when we first got there, but they moved us when we asked. Check out the panorama, the railings at the left and right are really the same railing, so imagine wrapping the image around your head so the two pieces of the railing connect.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank CG-Engineer
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We stopped here on our drive north from San Diego to San Francisco. We hadn't pre-booked and found the staff helpful and efficient. The room was large, clean and well-equipped with a coffee maker and microwave and the beds were comfortable. We were on the ground floor and didn't experience any noise problems, either from our neighbours or the highway.
In any other place this would have been a fairly average hotel but its location is spectacular. As mentioned by another reviewer I too was initially put off by the odour from the Pelicans but soon got used it. The sight of them flying in at sunset was beautiful and certainly made up for their smelliness! A short walk along the clifftop brings you to a view point overlooking the ocean where we saw so many birds, seals and otters. Although good, the photos of the hotel and coastline are unable to capture the mood and beauty of this location.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Penton
Reviewed 21 October 2007

What a great place to watch the sunset over the Pacific. The staff are very friendly and helpful. A secluded beach and the wildlife is unbelievable, Pelicans, Vultures, Humming Birds and Dolphins can all be seen from the fantastic vantage points on the ocean side of the motel. The rooms are spotless and very comfortable. The rates are very resonable for such a clean and friendly place. It is very well situated just off the 101 highway between Shell Beach and Pismo Beach seaside resorts. The only draw back to this place is it is a five minute drive to any shops, but it does have vending machines and
breakfast is included in the price. I would recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2007

I stayed here for the second time during a recent trip to CA. The 1st time was way back in 1994 for a weekend getaway - now I live in AZ and decided to stay here again and see if I liked it just as much after 13 years and I can honestly say I did. Every room in this establishment has an ocean view and when the weather is not foggy (Which it is at times) the views are spectacular. I've read other reviews that complain about the noise from the 101 freeway which does run near the back of this establishment but it does for any hotel along Price Street plus I feel that if you hear the noise of the freeway and not the waves crashing right off your balcony, you're focused on the wrong thing. Your only other option would be to stay in a place closer to town or further inland. I prefer to be closer to the ocean myself. This place also has its own walking trails, stairs to the shore, and very nice places to dine are close by (The Spyglass is great!) True prices have increased in 13 years but that is typical with any place. I also tend to travel Sunday-Thursday which means lower rates, less chance of crowds and families with noisy kids and it was very quiet during my stay. A lot of times it's not where you stay but WHEN you stay and because it was not crowded I was also able to use the pool/jacuzzi during the day and their morning breakfast was very relaxing (Just a basic one). To put it simply the Pismo/Shell Beach areas have a lot to do and see so if you want to stay at a descent place right on the ocean - stay here.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple