“Great place over 20 yrs!!!!!!!”
Review of Shore Cliff Hotel

Shore Cliff Hotel
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Just a great get away and always fantastic views!!! We always get the room with the fireplace and love the breakfasts they serve!!! Breathtaking views of the ocean, and can walk down to the tide pools from the hotel. We enjoy walking into the town of Pismo and enjoy all the restaurants that they have. The front desk always are cheerful, and always making sure you are treated well. Please try this friendly and family based hotel. They are all wonderful!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shore Cliff Hotel

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed on this property for a second time in October 2013 and were completely disappointed this time. I originally booked the room about three months in advance for the weekend of the 11-13, but our babysitter fell through and I had to reschedule for the weekend of the 18-20 which is the weekend of the Pismo Clam Festival so I knew rooms would probably be scarce and extremely expensive. I called the hotel direct and explained the situation and asked if I could get a room for the next weekend at the same price considering I'd booked the room so far in advance, and was told that there were absolutely no rooms left for that weekend. Disheartened, I took her word for it and began searching other properties and even other beach cities, but we love Pismo and I wasn't willing to give up our romantic getaway to the central coast. I ended up calling Best Western's reservation line and was told there were rooms left at the Shore Cliff and the man wasn't sure why the front desk clerk had told me there wasn't. The rooms were "pet-friendly," which I was fine with as I was sure they did regular deep cleanings on those rooms considering how clean the entire property was upon our first visit in March 2013. I went ahead and booked the pet-friendly room and was given a pretty deep discount for the trouble I'd gone through, which I greatly appreciated. When we arrived to the property to check in I asked if any no-pet rooms had become available, and one had, so we she let me have it. She did not tell us that it was half the size of the other rooms. That room was so tiny compared to the room we'd had on the first stay, the bed didn't seem as comfortable, the air conditioner was really, REALLY loud and clunky, and it was on the first floor overlooking the pool which was OK, but if you're on your patio while people are enjoying the pool area, everyone can hear your conversation and see what you're doing, which was slightly disturbing. Also, the first time we stayed we didn't know we couldn't smoke ANYWHERE on the property (except in the parking lots and in the far South corner of the property) until I read reviews of people complaining that other's were smoking on their patios (probably us) and management responded with some comment about how no one is supposed to be smoking anywhere on the property. Being smokers, this is annoying to us because any time we want to smoke we have to trek way out for a cigarette, but you can bring your big stinky dog and it can crap wherever it pleases, and I have to listen to it bark all night long.(By the way, the only area on property where one can smoke is located in the corner of the area where pets go to do their business.) The grounds of this hotel are still absolutely beautiful and the smokers area is actually pretty nice with some patio furniture overlooking the ocean with a nice view of the pier. My real issue with this property is that there is absolutely nothing extra considering how much the rooms are. We noticed that the Sea Crest, which is two hotels down, had two beautiful fire pits and much nicer outdoor areas than our hotel, and we were jealous. Also, the Shore Cliff doesn't have beach access, which we knew from our first stay and is OK. It's just a short walk to a residential street which does have beach access. You'd think for almost $200 (or over $200/night depending on when you book) they would have SOMETHING for younger people to do there. They have a gorgeous gazebo out on a peninsula-like cliff that overlooks the ocean and is the perfect place to watch the sun setting, but it is completely under-utilized. There is no furniture on it, there used to be benches built onto the railing but those were removed sometime between March and October. If I was the marketing director of that hotel I would not be relying solely on the ocean and weddings to garner customers. I would be using that gazebo to its absolute fullest potential. Can we get a portable bar? Wine-tasting? Something? All in all the property is OK, I just realized that maybe it's more of a property for an older crowd, so the probability of us booking a room here again is pretty small. Next time we'll probably try out something geared toward a younger, more vibrant crowd. My husband and I only get two weekend a year to get away without children and we like to live it up. The Shore Cliff definitely isn't that place. If you're looking to just relax in a beautiful and extremely quiet environment (and you don't smoke) this property is probably better suited for you.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or third floors in the building which the balconies face west.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Quick getaway with an incredible view is what we were looking for and we found it here. The staff was kind and Justin at the front desk made sure we got the room we were looking for. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Grounds were clean, air was fresh, and hotel was in a nice location. We enjoyed the breakfast, although not as many options as other Best Westerns we stayed at. Really need my eggs and bacon in the morning vs. a microwave egg, cheese and sausage biscuit. It was enjoyable however for what it was. Pool area was clean, water was warm and inviting. Fitness room was clean and in good repair.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This was one of my favorite hotel stays. Easy to get to, right off the highway. Our room had a pier ocean view on third floor. Room was huge with a sink, microwave, and fridge. We got breakfast and took it up to our room and ate out on balcony watching the ocean. I also recommend the restaurant next door, Ventana Grill.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jellogirl
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Room #122 has a wonderful view and its not the third floor!
We got there at dark and in the morning when I opened the curtains...WOW! I felt like we were in Mexico! AMAZING! Ocean, blue skies! loved it! We had a clean spacious room, great pool, easy to the beach, beautiful views, cliffs and Palm trees. Temp. was 70!
Friendly staff, breakfast was ok, that could be improved, the price was very good also. Will be back....Cheaper then Mexico!

Room Tip: FACE the Ocean
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The property was beautifully situated on a cliff overlooking the Pacific. The lobby was clean and welcoming, and front-desk staff was very helpful, even unlocking a supply cabinet to find a few notepads for our kids when we checked out. Even in December our kids enjoyed the beautiful heated outdoor pool - and got a big kick out of the sea gulls swimming in there with them. We were able to walk to downtown Pismo Beach from the site. Our room was very large, easily accommodating the five of us. The balcony was a nice surprise, and the ocean views were just amazing. My only negative: Breakfast was very carb-centric, with only microwavable sausage biscuits for protein. The price was incredibly reasonable given the amenities. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We just stopped to rest for one night and woke up to an amazing ocean view and a good breakfast! The rooms are nice and clean and the pool is also pretty good! It's just a short walk to the beach and absolutely worth it!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends