“We loved it, the dogs loved it!! From a very picky person”

Oxford Suites Pismo Beach
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I am very picky when it comes to hotels and this hotel is very close to meeting the Halekulani, a 5 star Hotel in Waikiki. Very pleased to have found this Hotel. Very clean, the wood floors are great to have, hate crapets in hotels. Great customer serivce, quiet. Stayed in one of the dog rooms, 140. Loved the fact you could close of the bedroom off with the sliding pocket door. Made it even more quiet at night. The bed was so so, could be better. It was nice having the fridge and microwave. The evening reception was nice. 2 drink tickets for each person you get upon check in. The appetizers could have been a little more though, would have been nice to have some wings too. They had chips, salsa, fresh veggie plate with ranch dressing, but can't complain too much condsidering the great price paid and the breakfast, wow! Was great! Breakfast burritos were big and hearty. The only complaint I had was the guest in room 141 kept taking my Do Not Disturb sign. Must have been a kid or a big kid playing around. Oh, the front desk clerk at 6 am when I went to get coffee was a little grumpy. Vanessa who checked us in and out, was very nice and professional. We even booked another date in September for a price of $85. Incredible for all you get! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank meechmom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Check-In was fast and efficient. We stayed here 10 or 11 years ago and were not quite sure what to expect as it was dated then. The main reasons we chose the Oxford for this trip was because it is "Pet Friendly", large enough for myself, my husband and our two adult children and reasonably priced ($161.00 midweek and $191.00 weekend).The rooms have been updated with flat screens in both the living area and the bedroom. We had 2 queen beds and the pull out sofa for my son. Granite countertops, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. We had never traveled with our 8 month old maltese/yorkie mix but she loved the dog run and strutting around the grounds which are well kept(only charged $25.00 for our pet to stay all three nights). We enjoyed the free full buffet breakfast in the mornings and the free cocktail hour in the evenings. The beds were comfortable and the room spacious. Staff was very friendly. We especially enjoyed Bob the bartender...he was great at recommending places to eat. Location is a short drive to the beach and downtown area(maybe 4 - 5 blocks). We will definitely stay here again. It's not right on the beach of course but because of that you don't get gouged with the high rates either, $260+ at other hotels in the downtown area. Great place for a family!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the pool area. The back side of the motel is much quieter.
1  Thank flamingirl_11
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a great family stop. The rooms are surprisingly large--plenty of room for adults and children. Everything ultra clean and beds/linens especially comfortable and top quality. So easy to toss a sweatshirt over a grandchild's p.j.s and walk him down for the generous courtesy breakfast buffet. Pool and spa well maintained and even a wading pool for the little ones. We'd definitely stop again.

This is where I've been staying for the past 6-7 years when I'm in Pismo Beach:

1. There is a AAA discount & when I stayed for my b-day, I received an additional discount for a 3+ night stay

2. I can bring my cat

3. They serve a full (not continental) hot breakfast every morning

4. They have a complimentary 2 glasses of wine or beer + appetizers in the cantina and Bartender Bob is wonderfully nice...although the new food service is lacking, but for a small fee you can order in from most all local the restaurants

5. They have a fitness room w/ a dry sauna

6. There is a t.v. in each room

7. There is free internet & Wi-Fi

8. The pool & jacuzzi have Adult Only hours

9. They have free local newspapers, apples & cookies in the lobby

10. It is a convenient location 1 block from the outlets, Starbucks, Rite-Aid, Scolari's Grocery

11. The front room has a pull-out bed

12. The rooms are spacious & very clean

13. The staff is very nice & helpful

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We loved this Oxford Suites. The lobby was charming, as was our room. It was spacious, updated, and quite comfortable. The happy hour was very nice with complimentary house wine, draft beer, and snacks. The pool was was nice and the hot breakfast was wonderful (just a little crowded). We only stayed one night but wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

1  Thank Say-Wen
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My daughters, 4 & 7, and I stayed here and it was the perfect match for us. The two room suite had plenty of space. The king bed was divinely comfortable. Even the pull-out sofa bed was a really good sofa bed (no bar in the middle poking our backs.) The pool was warm, the toddler pool was especially nice for my four y.o. The full breakfast food was well done. Plenty to choose from, including some choices we could eat while on gluten-free, dairy-free diets (i.e. scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns one day, some kind of hash with eggs on the side the next, yogurt, applesauce and fresh fruit served both days, etc). While driving distance to the beach, it is not far at all. We got a great deal staying during the middle of the week. Definitely a great deal for the quality and amenities!! We would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SATSanJose_CA
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I tend to stay away from older hotels. I had stayed at this hotel about 20 years ago so I knew that it wasn't new. I booked anyway due to all of the great reviews. All I can say is follow your heart.
The lobby is very nice and inviting so on arrival I thought that the Oxford was nicer than I remembered. The rooms have been updated...to a point. Nice flooring options as well as granite counters and newer furniture. The bed was comfy for my husband but a little too hard for me. The bathroom was funky with the shortest toilet and tub that I've ever seen. I would recommend replacement of the old fashioned ceiling tiles in the bathroom. Just kind of tacky.
Over all the room was very clean. The pipes were noisy and the doors don't have that little spring thing that keeps them from slamming open or shut. You will hear your neighbors and even though we were in a non-smoking room, there was tell tale smoke smells in the living room area of our room. Another hint would be to remove the ashtrays from in front of the non-smoking rooms. It does no good to have a non-smoking room if smoke blows in every time you open the door.
The breakfast was OK. The evening reception was a nice touch and appetizers were better than most.
The only person at this hotel that seemed to like their job was the bar tender. Sorry I don't remember his name but he was the best in conversation and service. He even left his post to clean up someones spilled drink in the outer lobby. All said and done, this was an OK stay. Nice reasonable hotels are not a commodity in Pismo. This one is clean and affordable but don't expect high end or a hidden gem.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple