“Good suite but with package holiday feel.”

Oxford Suites Pismo Beach
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed here for just one night at end of trip to California. Oxford Suites are a motel type experience similar to a lot of hotels in this area. Our suite was on the second floor with a large wrap around balcony outside. The suite itself was well furnished and quite large, very clean too. There was a swimming pool in the centre of the compex. The rooms are made of quite thin material and the balcony outside vibrated with the constant thumping of children's feet as they ran up and down. Hence my title "package holiday feel". Oxford seemed to be a place that attracted families who appeared to be staying there for their entire holiday. It was difficult to obtain privacy unless you closed your door and remained indoors all the time. Oxford did provide an evening drinks and tapas reception along with an enormous breakfast buffet.... well done on that score. Generally it's not really a hotel for a one night stay such as ours. We felt like intruders on a group's package holiday deal.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Oxford Suites Pismo Beach

Reviewed 13 June 2009

We needed a place to stay that takes dogs and this place did. They have really nice rooms comfortably beds and Pillows...They breakfast was great for free. What more could you ask for..

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Stayed here with my wife on a weeknight and loved it. I notice people complain a lot about children and the price, I say to those people avoid Pismo Beach on weekends. Rooms were neatly furnished and were real suites two rooms separated by a pocket door. A very friendly bartender and snacks in the evening. Breakfast was buffet style and very filling. All staff seemed attentive and friendly. People should know it is not on the beach, but only a 5 minute ride away. Outlets were 2 blocks away. We would certainly stay again and like I said early avoid Pismo on weekends.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We should have been staying at the Pismo Beach hotel which looked lovely on the itinery and overlooked the ocean. This is an older style 2 storey motel with a swimming pool the size of a baby pool at most other hotels. The Reception area is bright and welcoming and there is a small library area next to the bar. The room had a King Size bed with 2 colour TVs one in the lounge and one in the bedroom. There was a Fridge in the room. The bathroom was OK but not great, extractor fan very noisy but this went off when the light was turned off. The room overall was comfortable with a seating area and also a DVD player. The Breakfast was ok with a choice of Cerial and cooked breakfast which was free of charge. To Summarise the Motel is OK for an overnight stay there are local shops and an outlet mall 200yds to the left open until 9pm as you come out of the hotel. The free breakfast made up for the lack lustre surroudings but we were still dissapointed to not be within walking distance of the ocean. Hello to all our fellow travellers who were there between In california 24/4 to 08/5.
Dave and Diane

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2009

The check-in was smooth but the staff could learn to smile more to make the traveler feel welcome. Lovely lobby and the grounds of the Oxford Suites are quite nice. The rooms are spacious; beds very comfortable with ample pillows. The TVs, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, etc. were all in working order. The room service staff was most gracious and accommodating. Towels were fluffy and not worn as I have seen in some other hotels of equal value. The breakfast (hot or cold) served on each of our three day stay were more than adequate and very filling. Each guests receives a ticket for breakfast and two drink tickets for Happy Hour each day at the front desk. Happy Hour had a good assortment of appetizers and beverages.

The improvements I would recommend are hooks to hang toiletry bags near or on bathroom door; first day of stay my shower went ice cold for some unknown reason but was fine the following days; rooms could stand to be upgraded (the furniture in our room was scarred and dinged); better lighting for reading in living room area; gym equipment very noisy. I did miss seeing the ocean but I knew that before I booked - not fault of Oxford Suites.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2009

It was my Husband's B'day and found this place different and interesting through their web site 360 virtual tour. Wow Business center! (with two computers in the lobby). Wow Library !(No kids allowed). Wow a Gym! (what was that stinking smell in the Gym with like 4 machines).The swimming pool looked great from the virual tour, but in reality a small one. Rooms were small. All the furnitures were like 1920.
I enquired about the location to the beach during reservation and they said it is closeby. In reality, I need to take freeway. Worst location. Too many roads in front of this property. Noisy ! Nothing can be reached by a walk. Need to drive to Outlets too. Worst Balcony ! Nowhere to sit after we come out of the room.
I saw the disappointed look in my Husband's face as soon as we entered the room.We just sat very, very disappointed for some time and then got down for the evening reception. It was ok. Good amout of food with good flavor. The Morning breakfast was good too.
When we returned my friends were eager to know about this trip as this is a special one. I felt bad to let them know that this was our worst one ever.
My husband went and enquired other places near the beach which has good view and the prices from $100.
Crap! I payed $149 for this one. The reception desk needs some sunshine. Very gloomy and dull staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank SFO123
Reviewed 20 April 2009

The "Manager's Special Rate" was given to me over the phone. We received two drink coupons per person for the evening cocktail reception and a hot breakfast with a decent inside / outside dining area. The pancakes were absolutely perfect and my daughter was happy to find hot sausages. I'd go back again just for the pancakes!!! We were in a hurry & we were happy to find the service was quick. The king bed was just like the **** hotels. It was nice to have the two rooms since my daughter wanted to stay up and watch a show on the pull out sleeper sofa and I was able to shut the door. We had a 2nd floor room overlooking the pool. It was a nice place for the price and easy access to the freeway. Wish we could stay another day just to see Pismo & visit the shopping outlet next door.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family