“Fun Getaway”

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Altadena, California
“Fun Getaway”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked 2 nights here on a whim, and we had a great time in the Pismo Beach area. The hotel was very nice, room was upscale and large with the amenities I like to have. Loved the beach location, the many places to sit outside and enjoy the view and convenient steps to the beach. The staff was pleasant and efficient. My only complaint is the lawn area by the pool was being mowed during breakfast one morning. That made the experience of a beautiful December morning -- sitting outside and enjoying the ocean view while having their better than average complimentary breakfast -- a little annoying. But overall it was a great experience. I booked through a hotel site I had never heard of before - easy, quick and a great price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSeaCrestPismo, General Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Shari A, Thank you for trying us on a whim. Sometimes those are the best experiences. Thank you for your nice comments. I hope your adventures find their way to us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate my anniversary and it was an overall pleasant experience. The room/price is great for the area and the views are absolutely gorgeous (I stayed in an oceanfront room on the top floor overseeing pismo beach. It's nice waking up to the sound of the waves). The staffs were generally very helpful and courteous and quite responsive (special shout out to Tara with the map & direction help). The continental breakfast served every morning were average continental breakfast served in other hotels I've stayed at.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give higher than an average rating due to several points of mis-communication & general lack of attention to details that could definitely be improved.

1) When I first arrived at the hotel, the staff informed me that my reservation was cancelled. I had to tell the staff to double check again as I changed my reservation from a ocean view room to a deluxe ocean front room. Since I made the reservation via their online website, they were somehow unable to make changes to my initial reservation; but instead, asked me to cancel the existing reservation and book a new reservation for the upgraded room. I followed their instructions and called the hotel several times to ensure that my reservation was made, but they somehow still missed it when I try to check in. The situation was sorted out in 30 minutes or so, but it's still frustrating considering I was celebrating my anniversary here and did not want any confusion. (especially since I've called the hotel quite a few times to go through the details and they assured me that everything is taken care of before I arrived. )

2) On the second day that I was here, I woke up with patches of red rash on my back. (I have never had skin problems prior or any known allergies). The rashes got better by the third day, but it was painful.

3) On checkout, the staff took over well over half an hour trying to figure out my bill due to the mishandled initial reservation. I booked online via their website with the stay 2 get 1 night free promotion, but they somehow did not include that when I checked in, and they tried to charge me for all 3 nights even though I specifically questioned the amount being billed. I am not sure whether it's due to the mishandled reservation outlined in step 1 or if it was a general lack of communication among the staff or if it's technical difficulties, it's generally very frustrating to have to deal with these type of situations twice on a vacation. The front desk staff had to asked the shift manager, Steven, in order to refund my credit card and it took a really long time to get sorted through even though the process should be quick & simple. (refund the third night and the tax associated with it).

4) The final receipt given to me were filled with a whole bunch of transactions that was not clear nor succinct due to a bunch of random transaction they had to put in to "balance out" their book due to the initial mishandled check out. I had to come back again to ask them to print me a clean copy of the receipt for record in case they somehow still end up charging me more than what was quoted. (We will see in a few days if the amount charged is correct on my credit card bill) Generally, whatever technical operations you need to do in order to ensure proper internal processing shouldn't be revealed to the customer. The hotel should be providing the customer with a clear & readable receipt of what is being billed in a presentable manner as opposed to a whole bunch of random 22 dollar/ 4 cent/2 cent charges that the staff had to input in order to sort out tax refund/book adjustments. (or perhaps the hotel should upgrade their reservation system in general that may support a simple/easy to use return authorization function??)

5) Marie Callendar was included for one of the stay, but the wait there is terrible also. I had to wait over 20 minutes for my server to come; but I guess that's more toward the restaurant than the hotel. I won't reflect that score here. (though considering that they seem to work very closely together, I would hope the hotel somehow try to ensure the timeliness of the service is acceptable before offering their guest vouchers to the restaurant for a lovely breakfast)

Overall, it was a decent experience. Monarch grove near the hotel is absolutely beautiful with over 30k butterflies currently this season. Great location to everything whether it's downtown/hearst caste/morro bay/moonstone beach. Some suggestion to the hotel to improve the experience is to include afternoon coffee/cookie time for guests to socialize at (utilize your rooftop terrace. great view up there.) It may also be great if you provide filtered water with cucumber/strawberry flavoring.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeju_travels
Dear Jeju_travels, Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I truly appreciate the feedback for improvement as well as the nice comments. I do apologize that your reservation and billing were not correct and efficient. I am glad it finally got resolved. I do hope you will try us again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

With our kids, we combined an anniversary trip with a visit to family in the area. The property, room and staff were all excellent! Loved the property grounds and location. Our room was very spacious and well layed out. Our room had a breath taking view of the ocean from our balcony. We sat and watched the ocean for hours. We took the trail from the hotel property directly down to the beach for a great walk. Even got to use the pool and jacuzzi at night. Truly a memorable experience!
I will for sure make plans to return again, as soon as I can.
Very impressive.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have at least a partial ocean view. I would pay the extra to be at the ocean fro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Joseph TT, Thank you for you nice comments in your recent review of our hotel. I am glad you chose us to spend your anniversary. It is a great location to celebrate and get away. We hope you will return to see us.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Excellent hotel and friendly staff. The room was comfortable and welcoming. Only two issues:
1) The lobby and dining area are really small (so small that there you need to have breakfast outside—not a great option in December).
2) We purchased the most expensive option, called "Ocean Frontview" and yet our rooms were facing North-West (we could still see the ocean but in a way that I would call Partial Ocean View).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here one night on a leg of my road trip down the west coast from Washington. The hotel is in a great location at an amazing rate. I got a king sized bed with ocean view. The rooms are stylish with ample space and amenities plus they allow pets. Friendly staff and nice breakfast selection. I enjoyed being able to walk down the steps right onto the beach. I would definitely like to return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Incredible in so many ways! Great location with beach access, short walk along the beach to the pier...wonderful customer service...warm, retro/modern decor...beautiful views (ocean front room, south tower) and the sound of the waves crashing from the room...I had an amazing time. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Pismo!

Room Tip: Ocean front room in the towers (rather than the main, middle building) have a wonderful view!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Love the Place and all the wonderful amenities . Favorite hotel in the area.. Of San Luis Obispo county . The rooms are colorful, well placed.. The 360 views are amazing as well as the Jucuzzi, pools , roof deck and private beach access .. The complimentary breakfast is a added perk.. As well as the wonderful staff - and Great Coffee in the lobby ..

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo