“Not given room booked, inappropriate service/value for cost”

SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Upon arriving in our room, we realized that we were placed in a regular room instead of the family suite we booked. When called, the desk staff said we made a change to the room one month prior (we did not; when I returned home, I re-checked all correspondence with the hotel to be sure). They had no suites left and did not offer anything. Further, they insisted the mistake was ours when we pressed. The staff person talked over my wife multiple times during the conversation though she was polite and tried to calmly request what we wanted and convey our disappointment.

Like other reviews stated, the location is beautiful and the back patio/pool area is nice. However, a number of other hotels exist along the coast and we will seek those out next time.

Finally, the room (409) was dated. The bath tub was chipped, the heater/air conditioner is not central air (straight out of the 70s), the room front door and back sliding doors were difficult to close (needed to forcefully pull both closed). Additionally, the pillows were not comfortable.

We are significantly disappointed and will not stay here again. We would have moved to a different hotel immediately but could not find a larger room available nearby. We regularly stay at both nice and high-end hotels (Hyatt, Hilton, Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, etc) and have an idea of what to expect for great, good and decent service. This service experience was not any of those - we expect a lot more for the amount of money we paid. The room was also underwhelming for the money we paid - we expect a lot more for that amount of money.

Room Tip: Nothing useful to share as we did not get the room we booked.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Erik P
TheSeaCrestTeam, Manager at SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

On behalf of the management and staff of the SeaCrest, we are always disturbed whenever a guest experiences anything less than complete satisfaction, obviously the case during your recent stay. We do subscribe to the old adage “the customer is always right!” Therefore, where the room type mix-up occurred should not have mattered. It was our responsibility to fix it.
However, that became impossible, since the hotel suites were completely booked during your stay dates, with no chance to place you in a family suite or any similar accommodation. Please accept our sincere apology for the way you and your family were handled.

The SeaCrest is distinctly not a “cookie-cutter” Hilton or Hyatt and in fact prides itself on its individuality and “retro-chic” décor, in keeping with its city, Pismo Beach’s, “Classic California” slogan. I direct your attention to the over 800 pictures of our view, grounds and room interiors, guests have posted on TripAdvisor. Our guest survey service scores however, do rival the high-end national hotel brands anywhere in the country.

Please give us another chance to satisfy your vacation desires. Contact the General Manager directly and we will do everything within our power to provide you the exceptional experience we demand of our hotel and its staff.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Where do I start? How about "BORIS" the young man greeted me at the entrance and promptly helped direct me to the check in. What a sweetheart he was, so friendly and smiling, immediately engaged me in a fun conversation about my Mercedes and his. The FIRST person you meet when you check in can make or break the experience and he made it for me. I then checked in promptly they found my reservation and I parked the car and took the dogs into the room first off. Then I went back and again BORIS helped me unload the entire trunk including the HUGE metal dog crate I travel with. Totally an asset to this property he is! Once I got settled in I could admire the phenomenal ocean views from my room and the room itself which was so MODERN, clean and appealing in every way. Quite small but it worked for us. I travel with blankets and cover all the chairs and bedding to protect it regardless of being pet friendly. This hotel caters to dogs. Looking out the sliding glass doors to my own little patio and chairs I saw dogs being walked and that made me smile. The supplied dog dishes and a dog bed and that was so special! Ok now the property, HUGE well kept and maintained, and OCEAN front with steps leading down to it. That was why I wanted to bring my dogs here while I was travelling. Loved the bed, the bedding, very comfortable and quiet peaceful place to stay. Unfortunately NO restaurant on site.. No bar or social scene at all. I would change that so people could sit out by the pool and order a drink and small appetizer perhaps. They don't allow you to leave your dogs in the room by themselves which made it impossible for me to go anywhere so that also was unfortunate and not the normal rule in most pet friendly hotels.I had emailed them prior to arriving asking if there was a doggy daycare or something like that available but got no reply yet on my checkout when I mentioned no being able to see many attractions nearby because of my dogs the girl THEN said they had a dog-sitter available.. :( wished I had known that before but she apologised profusely even though I am sure it was not her fault .Wine tours and Hearst Castle are nearby so there are many things to do as well as just enjoy this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We just stayed here for 5 days for our Granddaughters wedding. it was perfect. The customer service was over the top. All the employees could not have been any nicer. All the way from the office help to the maintenance and maids.. Big High five to the Sea Crest!!!
Lamont you were without a doubt the biggest blessing!! All my friends could not get over how helpful and caring you were. Aylisa at the front desk, you always had a smile and were always ready to help. You are top notch. Martin and Borg, you are always helpful and always friendly. Loved Loved Loved our stay. We will be back again. We have been staying here for 40 years and you always step it up another notch.. Thank you for making this special day so special. Big Hugs!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally J
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Room 310 has a wonderful ocean view and lots of room. We enjoyed our stay. Easy access
to the beach and a short walk to the Pismo Beach Pier. For a hotel right on the beach, at the price we paid it was a very good deal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We really loved this hotel. The property is beautiful, very clean, modern and doggie friendly. They actually provide a doggie bed and bowls as well as an area for you to walk the dogs. The staff was wonderful. We will definitely go back, it was such a pleasure staying there. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moombachaka
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stopped here for 1 night on way down route 1 from San Francisco - Los Angeles and a very nice break indeed.

Right on the beach .. the rooms were clean and well presented.

Didn't eat here except for the free continental breakfast which if anything is the only poor thing about it .. but as its free then cant really complain too much.
They had fruit, toast, Danish etc.. the tea/coffee/water was not hot only warm ..

We didn't have a seaview room - maybe worth the $20 extra for one

Only marked sleep as average .. our room was at end of corridor next to ice machine and you could hear it .. also at 3am loud noises (bins collected ??) and then more noises that sounded like electrical things from outside ..

Room Tip: ask for a sea view as the non views all you see is a wall ENSURE you are NOT by the elevator or the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank perky88
Reviewed 29 May 2014

On my way back from visiting a friend in Northern California, I was riding my Motorcycle down the Coast enjoying the super warm weather and incredible views. After a few hours I decided to stop for the night, Looking around I saw the SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel. It turned out to be not only a nice place to rest up from my adventure but a lovely stay. A beautiful view of the Pismo Beach Ocean and a quiet comfortable stay was just what I needed, And that's just what this place delivered. A warm welcome from the "Most helpful front desk person" and I was soon enjoying the splendor of relaxing with an incredible view and nice amenities. The place just has a warm and infectious feel about it and the staff are most helpful. If your passing by on your travels you might want to give it a try, Affordable and accommodating, You really can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo