“overpriced for the quality”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Diego, California
“overpriced for the quality”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

rooms are outdated. Toilet in our room ran all night, popcorn ceiling had dirt all around the ceiling fan in my nieces room. Our room needed paint in various areas on the walls, where the paint or wallpaper was coming off. The bed was so-so.. overall I do not think it was anything to brag about and I've stayed at much much better quality hotels for 1/2 the cost and on the ocean as well. Restaurant is good though, but not really affiliated with hotel, different owners. Air conditioning in the rooms would be a suggestion, just because your on the ocean doesn't mean its going to be cool in your room. They say the hotel was recently renovated, but I don't see that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Granada Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I have been to Spyglass Inn several times. The last few years they did some upgrading of the grounds and ocean view terraces. This visit it looked much better. We stopped by this time for only one night because it wasn't a planned vacation. We had to make a stressful trip to Northern California and wanted to unwind afterwards. So we stopped for just a night, to take in the beautiful view and have a nice dinner at the Spyglass Restaurant. There is another hotel in Pismo we also like but Spyglass Inn is less expensive and just as relaxing. Of course, we always book an ocean view room. It costs a little more, but the view is the reason to be there, isn't it?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My family and I did a stopover at Pismo Beach for one night. The room we had was on the 1st floor with no ocean view but facing the car park. The room was large and it has a reasonable size LCD TV, fridge, bath robes and comfortable nice beds. They have a restaurant too. It comes with free WiFi. Since our last visit, the price has gone up. The property has a really nice ocean edge cliff walk with a path down to the sand at one end. Pismo is a lovely town.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the car park and main road can be very noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
CA
Reviewed 7 September 2013

very good value, especially if at a discount, great views from 2nd floor 200 series ocean front rooms, balcony with comfy chair's, quiet w exception of who may sit outside and chat loudly or squeals of children.

Clean rooms, plenty of space and sitting areas. Refrigerator is a plus. Excellent free WiFi and free parking.

Easy access to 101 & Shell rd
Only minuses are lack of microwave and it is too far to walk to downtown Pismo.

Recommend a visit to Dinosaur caves park while you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for your review. At the Spyglass Inn we enjoy having pets stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming all guests and their traveling companions.
Fresno, California, USA
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My dog and I were in the area for an Odor Recognition Test in Arroyo Grande. Many other hotels in the area have weight limits to the size of dog they allow to stay. My dog is 100 pounds or so. We had a very nice stay of two night. Originally I had booked only one night but was too pooped to drive back home so asked if there was a vacancy for one more night. The front desk gave us the same room, ocean view with patio, for the second night. The room was clean and well maintained. The patio had two chairs and a table. The short wall was low enough to see over unless you were to sit on the ground. The front desk helped me find a vet as my dog had gotten car sick. I needed his pills for his stomach which I had forgotten at home. They also pointed me in the direction of the Old West Cinnamon Shoppe for a quick breakfast. When I am back in the area of the Spyglass Inn I will stay there. You can not beat the price.
Plus their restaurant allows dogs on the deck and has great food too.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 116. Great views and close to the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have been a patron of Spyglass for five years now. A few months ago I made a reservation at there for a one night stay on a Saturday night. A few weeks ago, I had to change it to two nights. Today, I found I only needed to change my reservation back to the original one night stay on the Saturday night and they said their policy was any Saturday night was a two night minimum. When I questioned this, they told me that this was their policy. I immediately call The Cliffs next door and they were very happy to take our reservation for the one night. The Cliffs have gained a customer and Spyglass has lost a long standing customer.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Winelover1313
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We strive to provide our guests with the best hospitality experience of any hotel in Pismo Beach. Please contact me directly so that I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction. Jason Gentry 805-773-4855
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We just spent the night here and upgraded to a upper story, private balcony, ocean view king room. We had originally booked another king room and decided that if we were going to spend a night in Pismo Beach that we may as well have the ocean view. The weather was gorgeous, there were whales frolicking off shore and sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine was perfect. We ate at the restaurant on site and the entire experience was fantastic. It was so balmy we were able to eat outside on the patio. Because we were on an upper floor, we were able to keep the balcony door open and fall asleep to the sound of the surf. The next morning, we awoke to a pristine, sunny day. Superb....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple