“What a Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
San Diego, California
“What a Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel was truly a welcomed and pleasant surprise for me and my family. We were driving up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco and we thought we would drive straight through but decided to stop in Pismo as everyone was tried from the drive. I quickly did an internet search for hotels in Pismo Beach and several reasonably priced hotels came up (around $89 / night). I checked all the hotels on TripAdvisor and the Spyglass Hotel had recent glowing reviews. We were not disappointed! The hotel looks good inside and out. The property is well maintained and the view of Pismo Beach is AWESOME. The rooms exceeded our expectations. Although the rooms are not "new" they are very well maintained and huge! There is also a decent enough restaurant on the site. If the Spyglass Restaurant does not suit you there is a gourmet grocery store next to the Shell gas station with baked good, coffee, sandwiches, wine, beer, etc. If I am every in Pismo Beach again I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anointedhelp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
brisbane
Reviewed 14 December 2013

great value hotel right off highway overlooking ocean. we had a back room but the front rooms had a wonderful view. lovely walk along coastline in the morning. the restaurant overlooks the ocean and food is varied and reasonable. service good. hotel room quite spacious with large bathroom. very pleasant front desk staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I were not sure what to expect when we made our reservation at the Spyglass inn. When we arrived the front desk was very helpful and the room was great. We especially enjoyed the view and the fireplace. It was also centrally located and close to the freeway for easy access. My wife and I recommend that you try the Spyglass Inn on your next trip to the central coast area!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Fresno, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The view was beautiful, the staff was great! Excellent service from them as well. I forgot my toothbrush, so I called the front desk to ask if they had any. Yes, we have them at the desk I was told. I was tired and and laid down instead of going down. A few minutes later there was a knock on my door. They brought me a toothbrush! Food in the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed November 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed at the Spyglass Inn on an epic drive up the California Highway 1 coast in November 2013. Got a great price on a double-queen room, which turned out to be perfectly acceptable, if nothing spectacular. Convenient location, clean rooms, but not far from needing some renovation (the vent fan in our bathroom sounded like it was diesel powered). Didn't try the restaurant on-site, it only had mediocre reviews on Urbanspoon, but found some great places to eat in downtown Pismo Beach, a short drive away. If I was driving past here again, I might stay here again, if the price was right.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
LA
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Check in was a breeze. And thank God for that!! After flying all day and driving for 3 hours I was in no mood to put up with any bs. At We were on the Central Coast to meet several other members of my wife's family.
When I asked the girl at the desk how to get to the address where we were all suppose to meet in Arroyo Grande was she seemed not to have a clue. However; she immediately summoned the manager, i believe his name was Jason, to help us. Jason must have been close by because he appeared in less than a minute. He not only gave us explicit directions, but also told us about a place less than a block away that turned out to be a really nice restaurant. Great food, mostly locals, with really a really good price.
When we returned to the hotel we ran into Jason in the parking lot. He asked us if we found everything okay and I told him that his directions were perfect. Later, my wife and I went to the restaurant/bar that the Spyglass has on the premises for a night cap (or three). Everyone there treated us like royalty. I've never stayed anywhere like this. I will definately be back!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view from your balcony. There are lots of rooms with great balcony views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My favourite place to stay on the Central coast. Great views and very peaceful. Has an excellent restaurant with a great staff. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. Great walk to the beach.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends