“Romantic Ocean Side Motel”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 27 January 2014

When I drive north up California 101, which runs along the Pacific ocean and where I get marvelous ocean views and scenery, I love to stay at the Spyglass Inn in Pismo Beach. I have been going there for years and every room that I have stayed in there has had a marvelous view of the ocean which is only about 100 yards outside your balcony, which lets you hear the waves if you leave the door open. Or, if you want to get closer to the ocean, there is a path to walk, which is just above the sandy beach. I like the restaurant that is also on the grounds where you can eat inside or on the porch. Service in both the motel and the restaurant is very good. I also like that there is a well stocked wine store just a short walk from the motel. The clerks there will guide you to good cheap wine, or if you prefer, very good expensive wine for special occasions. Don't miss staying at the Spyglass Inn if you are going that way. For me and my family staying at the Spyglass Inn at Pismo Beach has become a wonderful tradition full of wonderful memories.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay on the second floor because the rooms are a little quieter and the view is best the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel has amazing views and a great location....However is dirty, dated, and not well cleaned. Check in was a breeze. But after looking around, I was disappointed and grossed out. I found left over hairs in the sheets, a lamp shade that was 1/2 stained w something spilled all over it, tons of dirt and debris underneath the bathroom sink, bedding that's was ripped and torn. If your gonna fork over the cash to stay at a hotel by the beach. .go somewhere else

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TellinDaTruth
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. My staff and I reviewed each of your comments and we have taken appropriate action to resolve each issue. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience. Please contact me directly so I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction. Jason Gentry 805-773-4855

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My hubby and I traveled there in November for our first getaway without our kids. It was EXACTLY what we needed. Our room was lovely, and the guest services people were incredibly accommodating. I had asked for an upgraded room when none appeared during booking, and they suggested the perfect room but allowed me to apply a web discount price that should not have been available. Then when I wanted to have wine delivered to my room upon arrival, they gladly walked across the street to buy it for me and had it waiting and perfectly arranged. We went on the wine tasting trip they recommended as well, and it was amazing. We dined in the restaurant for most meals, and the food was delicious and service spectacular. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms ALL have great views at a fraction of the price of the fancy resorts on either...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meg R
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this place for the New Year. The room was great - pretty big, beautifully decorated and clean, with a nice view (pool/partial ocean view). Two bathrobes were provided (love that! :). The room had a balcony with chairs and a small table. The room was quiet, even though the hotel was located by the 101 freeway. A king bed was very comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised by our room (that was only $89/day)!
The restaurant had a nice outside ocean view sitting. The hotel location -- on an ocean cliff, with a beautifully landscaped walking path and nearby access to the beach. A plenty of free parking.
A minor fallback - the room didn't have a thermostat (just a heater) and no microwave. Rooms had an internal door in between, so you could hear your neighbors.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank howoriginal
Reviewed 29 December 2013

A very poor experience - easily the worst hotel I have stayed at in the USA!

I have stayed in many Pacifica Hotels and most are very good, e.g. Half Moon Bay, Belamar and Laguna Beach. The Spyglass is an embarrassment to the company.

I like to start with the good points on a hotel but the Spyglass Inn didn't have any good points, so here go the bad ones:

a. The bed was a cheap. low quality bed which sagged a lot and wobbled.
b. The mattress was upside-down (the pillow-top was underneath) possibly because the hotel wanted to get another few years life out of a worn out mattress.
c. The pillows were cheap, nasty, polyester which were very worn and uncomfortable.
d. The bed sheet was put on upside-down, possibly to get a few more months wear before replacing
e. The sheets and blankets were very thin and cheap.
f. The two spare pillows smelt like the pillow cases were not changed from previous guests
g. The we could hear all the conversations in the room next door through the connecting door.
h. Guests arriving before the official check-in time of 4 pm were aggressively to come back later because rooms were not ready.
i. At 10:40 am we were called by the housekeeping manager who happened to be in the room next door and asking us if we had checked out (the check-out time is 11:00). We felt we were being chased out of the room.

All in all our stay was very unpleasant and I was embarrassed that I booked the hotel. It is the first hotel I have had to cancel our extra nights check out early!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BertBantham
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We strive to provide our guests with the best hospitality experience of any hotel in Pismo Beach. Please contact me directly so that I may address your concerns to your full satisfaction. Jason Gentry 805-773-4855

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Very nice room, ocean view, balcony, very spacious, comfortable bed for a very fair price. We loved the restaurant too. Delicious food, ocean view, fantastic service & reasonable prices too. Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: higher floors have the best partial ocean view. That is what we had.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My daughter and I had a fabulous time. The room was clean, the staff was very nice and the price was very fair. We just couldn't believe that a place right on the ocean would be so affordable. Absolutely beautiful view.

We went over to the Spyglass Inn restaurant and had a marvelous breakfast at a great price. The staff was very nice and the food was tasty.

I will definitely return and refer others to the Spyglass Inn. Thank you for a great time.

Room Tip: They have specific rooms that look directly out to the ocean. Open your door and there you are. Even...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family