“Week getaway”
Review of Spyglass Inn

Spyglass Inn
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Really did not spend my vacation sitting in the room or by the pool,But when I do it's always good to be here at the Spyglass Inn.Great location to the beach (not crowded) and across the street great Deli food available to 2200 pm and the ride to Avila beach is close and on the way stop at the working farm for some great farm fresh produce to snack on.And if your there stop at the old port and eat at Fat Cat's all in the area.

Room Tip: There's ocean view room's if you plan to sit in your room and there's pool view room'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe L
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are happy that you were able to take advantage of the great local restaurants including one of our favorites, the Avila Valley Barn! We will look forward to seeing you during your next trip to Pismo Beach.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

For a rate of $251 per night I wouldn't expect an ocean view room. That said I would expect a gracious and courteous welcome to the property. Please lower your expectations. If you would like a property that is slightly above a Motel 6, coupled with a staff that should not be in the hospitality business, this is the property for you. The check in was robotic and compliant with no personal connection or welcome. What a miss. There are so many great hotels in Pismo Beach, and for your consideration, I would recommend Dolphin or Cliff. Regardless of your decision, shy away from the Spyglass,

6  Thank MAE126

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all guest comments that help us improve our overall service. Clearly we failed in meeting your expectations during your stay. We have discussed your comments with our staff and we will strive to make sure a similar experience does not happen again. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you so that I may personally address them to your full satisfaction. Please contact me at your convenience. Thank you Jason Gentry 805-773-4855

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic views. Lobby staff, serving staff (restaurant) and maides very efficient and friendly. We ate three times - one evening and two breakfasts and food was really good and generous.
Now the negatives. Building is bad design - stairs and no lift. Front of house at restaurant rude and inefficient - lost one of our bookings. Pool is small and not the cleanest - large quantity of sand in pool and hot tub.
Our room needed decorating - very tired. Also there was a very thin connecting door so we could hear everything our neighbours said. That made it less awkward when we bumped into each other on the balcony, however, as we felt like we knew each other. Big issue - no air conditioning which means you HAVE to leave the balcony door open at night, which feels insecure.
Location is not great if you wish to visit Pismo or eat elsewhere. The hotel (motel really) is just off the highway and there is nothing in walking distance.
So many positives but the management of hotel and restaurant let the rest of the staff down. Hence the somewhat crude title to this review. Without the helpful attitude of the workers this would be a 1 star review.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank trecynon
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

We are so sorry that we didn't meet your expectations during your recent visit. Please know that we will be remodeling all of our rooms this fall and would love to have you back. Please contact me directly so I may discuss your stay even further and resolve it to your complete satisfaction. Jason Gentry 805-773-4855.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am tempted to give a 2 star review, but the hotel manager was more than fair with me when I expressed my disappointment. The room was very nice with (my favorite) Philosophy bath products. I just could not get past the lack of A/C. It was completely uncomfortable & soured the whole experience. For the price point, these rooms SHOULD have central A/C & heat. As a previous reviewer noted, there WAS an A/C unit running in an office area. This was frustrating to see when I (the guest!) had suffered through a very hot & stuffy night in our room. Having said that, I would definitely come back in the winter months. It is an awesome location & the ocean view rooms look truly breathtaking. We also really enjoyed the restaurant... Great view & very kid friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay here in the warm summer months!
2  Thank wendiebird
Reviewed 22 July 2014

First let me say that this is a lovely hotel situated in an amazing location. It has several levels and is in the shape of a "U" with the left hand building overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean - breathtaking!! The rooms are very clean with very comfortable beds and plenty of towels.

The staff - from the reception staff to housekeeping - were all very friendly and helpful!! There is a bowl of apples in the small lobby and you are offered a cookie upon check-in. Very welcoming!!

Now, for the disappointing. It was a beautiful July weekend with the temperature at 72 which you would think would have been perfect, however it turned out to be very humid this past weekend. Unfortunately, the hotel has no air conditioning!! This was not mentioned anywhere in the description. I know this should not be a problem near the coast, but the room (we were on the first floor across from the ocean facing building) was uncomfortably warm. There was a ceiling fan which only had one speed - not fast enough and a box fan in the closet. Although we had the window wide open there was no breeze and the room was like a sauna!! It was cooler outside than inside!!

I realize that the weather was a fluke and I acknowledge that I feel the heat more than others, but I noticed that the conference room had an air conditioner and it looked like the office area (behind the reception desk) had an air conditioner running the whole time we were there so maybe this kind of weather happens more often than not., Thank goodness we were only their for one night.

If it wasn't for the want of air conditioning, I would have rated the hotel "very good." I have no idea if the other hotels have air conditioning, but I will reading the descriptions more carefully in the future.

However, if the heat and humidity doesn't affect you, this is a beautiful place to stay and I recommend it,

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the ocean - beautiful view!! No air conditioning!! Could be an issue.
3  Thank CA_Traveler-7
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I would like to say this hotel is top notch from the beautiful views from your room to the ocean back drop at the bar and restaurant, the rooms are spacious and always clean, the staff is also accommodating to your every need. It also has easy access to the boardwalk . And it is just steps to a very good deli and very close to all the nice beaches.. I won't go anywhere else.....

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best but the other are very nice too.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
JgentrySpy, Manager at Spyglass Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We pride ourselves on our service and the breathtaking views at the Spyglass Inn. We look forward to making everyone’s stay enjoyable and we hope to see you on your next trip to Pismo Beach. Sincerely, Jason Gentry.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Perfect place to stay at Pismo Beach. The staff are wonderful- so friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the views are incredible and the restaurant is romantic with ocean views and a gorgeous sunset. Rooms have all amenities including a Keurig coffee maker (awesome!) and shampoos/lotions by Philosophy (ladies will love this!). We loved it and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view- it's worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndreaSaraD

Our staff was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service and clean rooms. The ocean view sunset in Shell Beach is breathtaking and we are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy it. Thank you for your stay.