“nice but pricey”

Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“nice but pricey”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed in june. My wife and mother in law with me. It was a saturday night. The property is nice. Great views of the ocean and pismo beach. However the property is wide open and people pass thru all the time and run past your room which can make u upset late at night. Especially when u just paid close to 400 for the night. The room was niceand the fireplace was cool. But our brand new car received a large dent in the door from the cramped crowded parking lot. Anyway it was ok except for that. Oh the breakfast was so crowded with families with lots of kids that i had to slip in grab a yogurt and run. Well worth about 200 a night but 400 is pushing it.

Room Tip: Pick something away from where everyone walks thru which is the rooms with the good view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hydrostaticman
CottageInnGM, General Manager at Cottage Inn by the Sea, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear about the mishap with regards to your car door. Please contact me at your convenience so that I may personally discuss your concerns with you.
805-773-4617

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Long beach
Reviewed 28 July 2014

From the time I made the reservation to check out was a great experience. Cathy was very helpful when making my reservation, she even called me back to mention an event going on that weekend that I could surprise my husband with for our anniversary . We weren't expecting to be welcomed with a nice set up in our room to congratulate us on our 15th anniversary , or having display welcoming us at the front desk. That was a very special touch. The room was clean, beautiful, ocean view with steps to walk down to the beach. Couldn't ask for better scenario. And to top it off, there were whales easily seen from our room window as soon as we arrived. Kimberly provided great customer service upon check in and check out. We plan on taking the drive from Long Beach again to return to this beautiful getaway!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for celebrating your special Anniversary with us. We appreciate you mentioning the great service by Cathy and Kimberly, two of the best in the business! We look forward to your return visit.

Kind Regards,
Visalia, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My kids and I stay here every July for a reason. It is clean, the beds are comfy, the staff is great, the price is right and the view of the ocean is perfect. We also love the morning breakfast. I have been here many times over the past years and it never fails me. I am already looking forward to next July's visit to the beach and the Cottage Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank imshell68
Thank you for your continued patronage. We are so excited you will be coming back next July again. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised at what will be new at The Cottage in July.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I'm a seasoned Pismo Beach traveler having stayed at The Cliffs Resort and Pismo Lighthouse numerous times. This time around I decided to try a different place (also because it was last minute and everywhere else was booked)

I went with Family

With all that said- check-in was friendly and nice, the rate wasn't great but thankful they accept tripleA which helped.

Breakfast that came with the room (being included) was GREAT. Better than Lighthouse and considering at Cliffs you pay 14-17 dollars - you cant beat the free breakfast of oatmeal,yogurt, fruit, cereal, bagel,waffles, hardboiled eggs aka the basics.

The room got really hot in it but thankful the weather was in the 70s to where this didn't make a difference. Before going to bed and upon waking up we had to open the door to let some cool air in as it got stuff.

The room itself is BASIC- and since we were out exploring Pismo and San Luis Obispo it was okay. Only issue is that this is a pet friendly hotel and we were placed in a pet friendly room (due to last minute booking) and outside our room was a courtyard for pets to use the bathroom and not everyone cleaned up after their pet unfortunately.

The biggest issue I had was that the jacuzzi wasn't that great. Although it was nice and warm it had absolutely no jets- but still better than nothing.

One perk that is has VS. Cliffs and Lighthouse is that you don't have to walk a distance to get from your parking spot to your room. Also the location is fantastic on the edge with all the other hotels and you can easily drop down to the beach with ease.

I'd probably opt for an ocean view room on a higher floor for an even better experience next time and will be booking earlier to do so.

Honestly, I really enjoyed this place- it wasn't mind blowing nice but it was really relaxing and the room felt very comforting.

If they renovated the rooms a bit it would be a five star no doubt! Also improve the wifi- as the free wifi really didn't work well unless I was next to the lobby/registration areas.

I wish the rate was less, but otherwise pretty solid hotel.

Room Tip: I'd opt for a non-pet friendly room (if you don't have a pet) and ocean view for sure.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JrTheFuture
Thank you for your review of our hotel. If you reserve with us in advance, you may be able to take advantage of our Advanced Purchase promotion. We would enjoy the opportunity to have you back for a stay in one of our ocean front rooms.

Suffolk
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were not sure what to expect from a seaside inn, but we loved the place. The staff were very friendly and we upgraded our room at a reduced price to the room by the pool, with a sea view. There was a lovely fireplace in the room (not needed but we had to try it) and a ceiling fan. We went to sleep to the sound of the ocean and rose the next morning expecting to be disappointed by the 'do it yourself' breakfast. The breakfast was great and I soon mastered the waffle maker and ate far too much. The sea view was wonderful and we saw whales and dolphins off the coast. The pool broke down during our stay, but we were able to use the pool in the hotel next door, a very short walk away. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PogleSuffolk
I am very happy you enjoyed our accommodations. There is no better way to start you day than with a freshly-made waffle and it is always exciting to see whales and dolphins along our beautiful coastline. I am very glad you were able to experience such natural wonders.

Best Regards,
California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We opted for an ocean view, and it was worth the money; other rooms look out onto the parking lot. Make sure you ask for a bottom-floor ocean-view room because you have a small patio. The 2nd floor rooms do not have balconies...only windows overlooking the ocean. Our room was nice, but their was a huge stain on the carpet right we walked through the front door...not a great impression. Otherwise, the room was nice. As typical of a beach hotel, the humidity keeps everything moist, so the paint was peeling off of some of the baseboards and the carpet seemed damp. The bathroom needs a major overhaul. When you're spending $250 (or more) per night, one should expect an updated bathroom...not old, white tile with dirty grout. The breakfast included in the price of the room was a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CDBCDB
Thank you for taking time to give a review of your stay with us. We are always looking for ways to upgrade the value our guests receive. We also strive to maintain a high standard of cleanliness. Please contact me so that I may fully address your concerns. I can be reached at 805-773-4617 or jbickel@cottage-inn.com

Riverside, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Chose this hotel because of the great reviews. They lived up to it all. Ocean view. Sleeping with window open enjoying sound of waves and cool breezes. I would stay again and again....
Breakfast was great. Make your own waffles,scones,good coffee.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynn L
Thank you for your review. We are very glad you found the reviews on TripAdvisor to well represent our hotel. Please come back to visit soon.